News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Keeping track of personal and family best speeds

Started by Daniel Fiddler, August 25, 2021, 02:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

Quote from: 7/8 on August 27, 2021, 06:12:41 PM
My guess is around 160 km/h (100 mph) on the 401. I didn't even notice until I looked down  :D. I rarely reach 150 since in Ontario, you'll lose your licence for 30 days and your car for 14 days.

I have a G2 for now (and will probably for a while due to driving test backlogs) so personally, I've never driven faster than 135 ish km/h.

I actually once got pulled over at 134 on the 401 near Gananoque. I didn't get a ticket, but if I did, it would have been a financial disaster (more expensive ticket, even higher insurance, etc)... so I avoid driving that fast now...

kphoger

Quote from: andrepoiy on August 28, 2021, 10:29:19 PM
I actually once got pulled over at 134 on the 401 near Gananoque. I didn't get a ticket, but if I did, it would have been a financial disaster (more expensive ticket, even higher insurance, etc)... so I avoid driving that fast now...

Meanwhile, several of us on here have driven 134 km/h legally.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2021, 12:44:00 PM

I will make sure to drive 134 legally once you open your borders

kphoger

Quote from: andrepoiy on September 02, 2021, 04:13:52 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2021, 12:44:00 PM

I will make sure to drive 134 legally once you open your borders

The one time I drove TX-130, I was leading another vehicle on our way down to Mexico.  The other driver said she had never driven 85 mph before–so, the first time she ever did, it was perfectly legal.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

80 mph because I'm not going to vastly exceed the flow of traffic in rural areas and run the risk of a small-town cop going ballistic on me. Even 5 over on a US highway is enough to be pulled over and grilled for 30 minutes, as I got to enjoy in Idaho.

Also, my overall land speed record is 280 kmh / 175 mph on the ICE high-speed train between Dortmund and Berlin. Hard to beat that in a car.

kphoger

Back to the OP...  My family doesn't keep track of each other's top speeds.  But from what I've heard, back in the day (late 1960s? early 1970s?), a couple of my uncles and their friends used to try and one-up each other for the fastest drive between Kansas City and Wichita on the turnpike.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on September 02, 2021, 04:31:55 PM
80 mph because I'm not going to vastly exceed the flow of traffic in rural areas and run the risk of a small-town cop going ballistic on me. Even 5 over on a US highway is enough to be pulled over and grilled for 30 minutes, as I got to enjoy in Idaho.

It is ironic and annoying that the cops are most likely to pull you over where it's least dangerous to speed.

Back when Illinois was 65 on rural Interstates but Chicagoland was all 55 on its expressways, I actually felt less at risk of being pulled over going 78 mph in Chicagoland than I did going 78 mph between, say, Effingham and Mount Vernon.  Which is stupid.
Male pronouns, please.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Bruce on September 02, 2021, 04:31:55 PM
Also, my overall land speed record is 280 kmh / 175 mph on the ICE high-speed train between Dortmund and Berlin. Hard to beat that in a car.
For my fastest land speed, 300 km/h on a train between Shanghai and Hangzhou. Most of my other China HSR rides are on slower 200-250 km/h trains, and the only other HSR I've been on that's close is the Tokaido Shinkansen in Japan, which tops at 285 km/h.

andrepoiy

My land speed would be the Shanghai Maglev, I believe went up to 400 km/h.

CNGL-Leudimin

I've gone 300 km/h (186 mph) several times on a train between Zaragoza and Madrid (and a few others, but that is the section I've done the most). That is my overall speed record. While driving I mostly stick to the speed limits, so 120 km/h (75 mph) is the upper bound for me.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MikieTimT

Pushed the WRX up to 135 on US-67 (Future I-57) on a rather straight and deserted stretch north of the White River crossing.  It had more to give, but I didn't have enough sightline to definitively determine that oncoming traffic wasn't of the popo variety.  Cable barriers limit their ability to whip around quickly, at least.

Ketchup99

My top is up to 99mph, on Route 192 east of Rebersburg. I set out with the mission of driving a hundred without risking the wrath of the state police (the parallel road is I-80, but no trooper will ever be running radar on the almost-deserted 192). I got up to 90 several times, but by the time I hit the county line and turned around, my top was 96. On the way back, I had a long straightaway and dropped the hammer, getting to 99mph, but the road started sloping upwards and my dad's Civic couldn't sustain the speed.

LilianaUwU

I've been passenger of a rental car my dad was driving, and we wanted to test just how fast the car could go. We hit 210 km/h (130 mph!) on a straight stretch of QC 132 somewhere along the Gaspé peninsula.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.