News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on August 16, 2021, 04:13:09 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 16, 2021, 04:09:22 PM
Also, chances are you don't know what "everyday" means.

I've seen this one often in businesses (e.g. free ear piercings everyday, although they don't tell you that it's free with purchase of something else). The worst I've seen, however, is this:

"Walk-In's Welcome", made worse in that it would cost a lot to fix it. You can't just replace a piece of paper, a menu, or anything like that in this particular case.

Toyota launched a "Toyota Everyday" ad campaign back in the 90s, and I heard that the spelling was wrong on purpose.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on August 16, 2021, 04:14:23 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 14, 2021, 12:26:35 PM
why does holyoke, colorado have a street called 'interocean blvd' ? big aspirations? it's a wide spot in us 6 for chrissakes.

According to the Phillips County website coordinator:

Quote from: http://cogenweb.com/phillips/towns-holyoke.html
Most of its streets were named for important people in the community, but there is some question as to the naming of the street named "Interocean" . Some believe it was named because the Pacific Ocean is on one side and the Atlantic is on the other, others say that it was a slam against the Union Pacific, ...

huh... never knew that. just seemed like a weird street name for a town that is... well, nowhere.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kurumi

Random thoughts about ... piñatas.

The problem at the point of the killing blow, when it splits open and the candy rains down, is that all the other kids rush in to grab the candy. You know how much kids love missing out: who's the one not getting any candy? The one still blindfolded and swinging a bat. That's when the dad needs to rush in and grab the bat: "whoa whoa there sport!"

If kids figure out that there's a negative benefit to being the one delivering the blow, they'll start treating it like Jenga and doing little bunts, hoping someone else will do the coup de grâce. This will extend piñata time to the length of a typical Monopoly game.

To fix this: set aside some good candy that will go to the kid that closes the deal. It has to be better than what's inside the piñata: like full-size name-brand bars. No Tootsie Rolls or Palmer "chocolate" from the aisle in CVS. Then the incentives will be aligned correctly with no conflicts.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

Quote from: kurumi on August 17, 2021, 01:54:50 AM

The problem at the point of the killing blow, when it splits open and the candy rains down, is that all the other kids rush in to grab the candy. You know how much kids love missing out: who's the one not getting any candy? The one still blindfolded and swinging a bat. That's when the dad needs to rush in and grab the bat: "whoa whoa there sport!"

If kids figure out that there's a negative benefit to being the one delivering the blow, they'll start treating it like Jenga and doing little bunts, hoping someone else will do the coup de grâce. This will extend piñata time to the length of a typical Monopoly game.

To fix this: set aside some good candy that will go to the kid that closes the deal. It has to be better than what's inside the piñata: like full-size name-brand bars. No Tootsie Rolls or Palmer "chocolate" from the aisle in CVS. Then the incentives will be aligned correctly with no conflicts. allow the hitter to swing at the other kids with the bat, to fend them off till he or she can remove the blindfold and have first grab at the goodies.  Then those other greedy little runts won't be so keen on making their move so fast.

That's another option.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kurumi on August 17, 2021, 01:54:50 AM

To fix this: set aside some good candy that will go to the kid that closes the deal. It has to be better than what's inside the piñata: like full-size name-brand bars. No Tootsie Rolls or Palmer "chocolate" from the aisle in CVS. Then the incentives will be aligned correctly with no conflicts.

My random thought about piñatas is how incredibly dangerous the entire activity is.  Let's give a bat to a kid that is blindfolded and tell him the objective of the game is to hit something moving as hard as he/she can.  It's a recipe for someone getting their skull cracked open or for the bat to go flying and for someone to wear that bat in the ocular cavity. 

kphoger

Doesn't seem inherently much more dangerous than fielding a ground ball.
Male pronouns, please.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on August 17, 2021, 11:39:07 AM

No blindfold though. 

frankenroad

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 16, 2021, 06:25:29 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 16, 2021, 04:14:23 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 14, 2021, 12:26:35 PM
why does holyoke, colorado have a street called 'interocean blvd' ? big aspirations? it's a wide spot in us 6 for chrissakes.

According to the Phillips County website coordinator:

Quote from: http://cogenweb.com/phillips/towns-holyoke.html
Most of its streets were named for important people in the community, but there is some question as to the naming of the street named "Interocean" . Some believe it was named because the Pacific Ocean is on one side and the Atlantic is on the other, others say that it was a slam against the Union Pacific, ...

huh... never knew that. just seemed like a weird street name for a town that is... well, nowhere.

In its original form, US-6 literally ran from ocean to ocean, so any part of it could be called "Interocean"
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 17, 2021, 03:19:30 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 17, 2021, 11:39:07 AM

No blindfold though. 

I'll take a dowel rod swung by a kid over a bouncing baseball to the noggin any day.

(Actually, what's worse is playing baseball with a golf ball, and then that one bouncing up into your forehead.  Not that I'd ever do that...)
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

A landmark Coney Island in Flint (actually Burton to be exact). I love old school diners like this.

SkyPesos

When completed, sort of wild to think that I-69 will be longer than all x5 interstates except I-75 and I-95 (using 69E as part of the mainline).

CoreySamson

Left-handers are the most long-bearing minority. So much is built for right-handers, but lefties (with some exceptions) adapt to using the righties' system instead of clamoring for their own.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

interstatefan990

Global warming is a good icebreaker...
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

renegade

- I went to McDonalds yesterday, and ate a kid's meal ... You would not believe how mad his mom got.   :bigass: 
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kphoger

Adults should be able to order from the kids' menu.
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2021, 03:25:33 PM

If you get it to go, you can get away with it since they'll assume you're taking it to your kid at home.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2021, 03:25:33 PM

Cracker Barrel has quietly allowed this. They seem to understand that not everyone has room for two pounds of food.

"Kids of all ages are welcome to order from these kid-sized portions of some of our favorite menu items."

Also, Zaxby's didn't seem to care the one time we just all wanted grilled cheese and a whole lotta fries; on a few occasions, I've pulled up solo through the drive thru and picked up a smaller portion meals that just happened to have a toy.

kurumi

The Albany metro area has 5 interstates that share 4 numerals: 87, 88, 90, 787, 890. Sorted, these are 777 88888 99 00.
Cincinnati comes close, with 5 interstates and 5 numerals (1, 2, 4, 5, 7).
San Diego goes 4 for 4 (0, 1, 5, 8)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

US71

Why do people stop at a Yield sign, but yield at a Stop sign?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kenarmy

-Am I the only one that went through the pain of explaining that I wasn't a junior, even though me and my dad had the same first and last name?
- *sigh* Some of you won't ever experience the pain of having to get a haircut every two weeks and wearing a durag to bed.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

US71

Quote from: kenarmy on September 01, 2021, 11:49:30 PM
-Am I the only one that went through the pain of explaining that I wasn't a junior, even though me and my dad had the same first and last name?
- *sigh* Some of you won't ever experience the pain of having to get a haircut every two weeks and wearing a durag to bed.

My dad was called "Junior" growing up, but wasn't. He shared the same first name as my grandfather, but a different Middle name.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kurumi

There must be a few Michigan visitors that have to find out "majors" is correctly pronounced "meyers"

Flint1979

Quote from: kurumi on September 02, 2021, 12:02:37 PM
There must be a few Michigan visitors that have to find out "majors" is correctly pronounced "meyers"
If you're talking about Meijer it's just Meijer but people always seem to call it Meijer's just like they always seem to call Kroger Kroger's. Meijer is in six states so those other states know about it too.

Flint1979

Quote from: US71 on August 27, 2021, 08:55:15 PM
Why do people stop at a Yield sign, but yield at a Stop sign?
Are you sure they are the same people doing it though?

kphoger

Dates look like giant cockroaches.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.