News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

King Coal / Tolsia Highway (US 52)

Started by seicer, December 12, 2013, 01:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 13, 2023, 09:58:33 PM
I drove to Bluefield tonight and saw that a new sign has replaced this one. It seems to be for WV 1XX (the closed banner is still on this sign blocking part of the number, I do not think it says WV 123 so I presume this is a temporary designation) and is signed for Welch.

I finally got my picture of the photo in question online:  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218683333354990&set=a.10218683440797676
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 05, 2023, 01:44:07 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 13, 2023, 09:58:33 PM
I drove to Bluefield tonight and saw that a new sign has replaced this one. It seems to be for WV 1XX (the closed banner is still on this sign blocking part of the number, I do not think it says WV 123 so I presume this is a temporary designation) and is signed for Welch.

I finally got my picture of the photo in question online:  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218683333354990&set=a.10218683440797676

it appears to be 10x which can only be 108 or 109.

rickmastfan67

I don't know about that.  Looks like 16x to me.

seicer

Interesting. The bridges over US 19/East River/Norfolk Southern/etc. have a route designation of US 52.

seicer

http://bridgestunnels.com/2023/05/10/on-the-hunt-for-bridges-in-the-west-virginia-coalfields/

"As I set out to explore the southwest coalfields of West Virginia, the weather did not seem to be on my side. The forecast called for an all-day downpour, but I was determined not to let that dampen my spirits. Driving along the winding one and two-lane roads that snaked their way through the Flat Top Mountain range, I couldn't help but feel a sense of awe at the sheer majesty of the landscape of sprawling farmlands, quaint country churches, woodlands, and reclaimed strip mines."

While the first half of this post is focused on some bridges and tunnels, the last half is focused on the King Coal and Tolsia Highway. On a side note, the segment at Horsepen Mountain that opened a few years back is signed for US 52... but so is the old alignment. That's not conflicting or confusing at all. Check out my latest post and photos.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: seicer on May 10, 2023, 03:38:01 PM
While the first half of this post is focused on some bridges and tunnels, the last half is focused on the King Coal and Tolsia Highway. On a side note, the segment at Horsepen Mountain that opened a few years back is signed for US 52... but so is the old alignment. That's not conflicting or confusing at all. Check out my latest post and photos.

Don't get me started on that..... LOL!
https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=2273.0

froggie

Sounds like no change in the route signs from when I was there in November.

Though I disagree with Sherman regarding the settling issues.  I thought they were far worse along the new 52 segment than they were along the WV 44 connector, especially near the high school.

seicer

I remember coming down WV 44 at night from Horsepen Mountain and was flying down at probably 60 MPH, and hitting one of those large dips. It didn't look well patched at that time, and it took me by surprise. No signs or anything to warn of Dips or Bumps that you see all over US 35.

I don't recall as many on US 52, but it's getting a little rough on the north end where they have not extensively patched yet. It didn't appear nearly as dramatic as those on WV 44 so I wonder if those have settled more since your last drive? Regardless, for a new highway with little traffic - it's disappointing. It's along the lines of some of the older segments of the US 35 freeway north of I-64. The newest segment of US 35 and WV 121 are so far in very good condition, so perhaps something has changed in how they are preparing the sub-base.

seicer

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 11, 2023, 06:31:43 AM

From the south end, US 52 North signage is posted at the WV 44 intersection... but no reassurance signs along the WV 44 connector towards the King Coal Highway. There are also reassurance signs along old US 52. At the north end, US 52 signage points to the old alignment. And along the King Coal Highway, US 52 is well signed. It's a mess.

Officially, US 52 is routed on the connector roads and King Coal Highway, with the old route designated 252/58: https://gis.transportation.wv.gov/GISCountyMaps/PDF-WhiteBackground/MingoSHEET%202WB.pdf

rickmastfan67

Quote from: seicer on May 11, 2023, 10:37:10 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 11, 2023, 06:31:43 AM

From the south end, US 52 North signage is posted at the WV 44 intersection... but no reassurance signs along the WV 44 connector towards the King Coal Highway. There are also reassurance signs along old US 52. At the north end, US 52 signage points to the old alignment. And along the King Coal Highway, US 52 is well signed. It's a mess.

Officially, US 52 is routed on the connector roads and King Coal Highway, with the old route designated 252/58: https://gis.transportation.wv.gov/GISCountyMaps/PDF-WhiteBackground/MingoSHEET%202WB.pdf

And I bet no signage at all along WV-65, right?

This is WVDOH stupidity at it's finest when it comes to signage.  But it's not the only highway signage for a route that they've messed up horribly.  Eastern end of WV-115 rings a bell, as after it's interchange w/ US-340, signage disappears after it says it heads east and then it doesn't get mentioned @ it's eastern end with WV-9.

Similar thing happens with WV-817, but with it's western end.  After it was just recently rerouted off of US-35 onto a completely new 2-lane built segment here.  There's signage saying it continues up into Henderson.  Yet, there's nothing @ WV-2, the supposed 'Northern' end.

This just drives me nuts!

seicer

Nothing on US 52 down in the valley pointing to the new US 52 / King Coal Highway with signs directing traffic along County Route 252/58. At the top, I can't recall.

Mapmikey

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 11, 2023, 10:50:51 PM
This is WVDOH stupidity at it's finest when it comes to signage.  But it's not the only highway signage for a route that they've messed up horribly.  Eastern end of WV-115 rings a bell, as after it's interchange w/ US-340, signage disappears after it says it heads east and then it doesn't get mentioned @ it's eastern end with WV-9.

Similar thing happens with WV-817, but with it's western end.  After it was just recently rerouted off of US-35 onto a completely new 2-lane built segment here.  There's signage saying it continues up into Henderson.  Yet, there's nothing @ WV-2, the supposed 'Northern' end.

The segment going into Henderson is not part of any WV primary route in their GIS (though the very odd WV 17 ALT near the intersection with WV 2 is).

WV 115 is in the GIS all the way to WV 9 near the Virginia state line. 

There are other unposted state route extensions:  WV 18 and WV 27 both extend to the Ohio River, and WV 31 extends unposted over WV 14 to use the bridge to Marietta OH.  In WV 31's case they post and END sign at the WV 14 traffic circle adjacent to I-77.  WV 18 and WV 27 do not have END postings at their WV 2 intersections.

I view these differently than the state routes that are unposted in their entirety (WV 6, WV 101, WV 106, WV 140, several ALT routes, etc.)

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 12, 2023, 08:33:24 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 11, 2023, 10:50:51 PM

The segment going into Henderson is not part of any WV primary route in their GIS (though the very odd WV 17 ALT near the intersection with WV 2 is).

WV 115 is in the GIS all the way to WV 9 near the Virginia state line. 

There are other unposted state route extensions:  WV 18 and WV 27 both extend to the Ohio River, and WV 31 extends unposted over WV 14 to use the bridge to Marietta OH.  In WV 31's case they post and END sign at the WV 14 traffic circle adjacent to I-77.  WV 18 and WV 27 do not have END postings at their WV 2 intersections.

I view these differently than the state routes that are unposted in their entirety (WV 6, WV 101, WV 106, WV 140, several ALT routes, etc.)

WV 140? Where is that one?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2023, 06:49:08 PM

Parkersburg, leads to Memorial Bridge

I left out WV 251,WV 252, WV 869, and WV 870

Bitmapped

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 13, 2023, 07:07:53 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2023, 06:49:08 PM

Parkersburg, leads to Memorial Bridge

I left out WV 251,WV 252, WV 869, and WV 870

FWIW, WV 870 doesn't exist. It's one of the many "dream" route numberings in the control cities document. WVDOH's route inventories and county maps have been consistent in showing that as CR 52/41.

seicer

Long-delayed King Coal Highway corridor opening to traffic this fall

The new King Coal Highway corridor near Bluefield is still on schedule to open to traffic this fall.

Construction is slowly winding down on the $58 million project which will connect the new interstate corridor with Airport Road near Bluefield. Furthermore, once the project is finished, traffic coming off Exit 1 of Interstate 77 in Bluefield will be able to connect with the K.A. Ammar Interchange, travel across the new Christine West Bridge high over Stoney Ridge and then connect with the new bridge over Kee Dam before exiting onto Airport Road.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: seicer on July 17, 2023, 01:43:05 PM
Long-delayed King Coal Highway corridor opening to traffic this fall

The new King Coal Highway corridor near Bluefield is still on schedule to open to traffic this fall.

Construction is slowly winding down on the $58 million project which will connect the new interstate corridor with Airport Road near Bluefield. Furthermore, once the project is finished, traffic coming off Exit 1 of Interstate 77 in Bluefield will be able to connect with the K.A. Ammar Interchange, travel across the new Christine West Bridge high over Stoney Ridge and then connect with the new bridge over Kee Dam before exiting onto Airport Road.

It looks like there are two bridges near lakes just before the King Coal interchange with WV-123.  There's a new bridge being constructed over South Fork of Brush Creek right next to the James P. Bailey Dam, and there's also the new bridge over the tail of Kee Reservoir, which is at the other end of the lake than Kee Dam. 

rickmastfan67

Now if we could only find out what the WV route number will be.  :-D

hbelkins

The final Interstate 73/74/75 routing is supposed to run from Detroit, Mich., to Myrtle Beach, S.C., opening up a large swath of southern West Virginia to interstate access.

People still are reporting this?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2023, 01:55:51 PM

People still are reporting this?

No one would have ever confused the Bluefield Daily Telegraph with the Boston Globe even back in the coalfield's heyday.  Today, there are probably not 10 people that work there.  Mostly it is cut and paste stuff from press releases, in this case the WV DOH.

Of course, 75, I-75, is already completed and has nothing to do with this.  Everyone with an understanding of the subject knows that 73 and 74 will never exist outside of North Carolina (well, the real 74 exists in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Iowa) and that this road is unlikely to ever be completed, and if it is, it will be US 52 and not up to interstate standards.

Bitmapped

There is a ribbon cutting for the US 460-to-WV 123 segment of the King Coal Highway near Bluefield on December 13. https://www.facebook.com/WVGovernor/posts/pfbid0cZ9gw5AFCoZHknbm3BnMgn2BJvaUFYAACbKVFoDGk75VJfvFjmpQnd2TsJP2DPhvl

This section, along with WV 123, will function as a Bluefield bypass. It doesn't appear that WVDOH has plans to move US 52 onto it at this time, though. GMSV shows covered shields for a WV 1xx route at the US 460 interchange.

seicer

Interesting. Temporary designation for sure. The Bluefield city inset show it as US 52, and bridge ID 7394 in the WVDOH Open Data Portal lists the route as "28200520024EB" - or US 52.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the dedication ceremony to see what it will be numbered as!

froggie

I have yet to find a useful and/or detailed map showing the extension to WV 123.  And the aerial imagery I've found is rather outdated.  Do either exist somewhere?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.