Shortest time you can drive to visit x amount of states/places

Started by index, June 06, 2023, 07:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

What is the shortest time you can drive in order to be in 3 states? 4 states? 6 states? So on and so forth...

I will specify some rules for this thread as to what counts:

• Only public, paved roads or well-maintaned, well-accessible unpaved roads count. Nothing like obscure jeep trails or something you couldn't do in an average sedan will count for the purposes of this thread.
  • I specified driving because this is a forum about roads, of course, and to exclude things like standing on the Four Corners monument.
  • Other posts about surprisingly short driving times between areas, states, counties, etc, generally not considered to be nearby are also welcome - for a well-known, obvious example, you can drive from Ohio to New York in under an hour via I-90, and most of Ohio and its population are much further than that from New York. Same situation with NC to WV via I-77. Something doesn't have to be *the* shortest to be posted here.
  • Different records for different regions are welcome. An answer on this thread for somewhere in New England would be a lot less interesting than an answer for somewhere out West.
  • Being open-ended is fine. If something looks like it could be somewhat related to the topic, it is fine to post it. The shortest time between specific states or groups of states is also welcome.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

froggie

Quote from: index on June 06, 2023, 07:24:12 PM

• I specified driving because this is a forum about roads, of course, and to exclude things like standing on the Four Corners monument.

Well, considering you can drive between 3 of the Four Corners states in the span of 3 minutes, this is not saying much.  And the 4th in about 15 minutes.  Even if we were to do a few destinations, like starting in Teec Nos Pos, stopping at the monument, then continuing on to Montezuma Creek, it can be done in under an hour.

There are 2 cases I can think of offhand where you can drive in 4 states in well under an hour...the more "famous" one (and one mentioned in the past on this forum) is I-81.  From Winchester, VA to Greencastle, PA takes about 45min, traffic permitting.  And going from Elkton, MD to Bridgeport, NJ via I-95 and US 322 is usually less time (assuming no casualties on I-95).

oscar

Off the top of my head, VA (exit 323)-WV-MD-PA (exit 1) via I-81. Four states, 38.5 miles, about 35 minutes drive time.

Barry Stiefel's legendary records of 21 states in a (26-hour) day, and 19 states in the first 24 hours of that trip, is discussed elsewhere on this forum.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheStranger

The distance along old US 66 from Oklahoma to Missouri through a sliver of Kansas is 11.5 miles - on my big 2021 roadtrip, I got to experience that segment first-hand!
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36.9964569,-94.7396679/37.0787092,-94.6179555/@37.0451679,-94.7369998,12z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?entry=ttu
Chris Sampang

gonealookin

For four states in the Southwest, using the Arizona segment of I-15 (29.4 miles) helps.  Add the 123.8 miles of I-15 in Nevada and it's about 153.2 miles from the UT/AZ line to the NV/CA line.  Hit Las Vegas at the right time and that's only a little more than 2 hours.

Dough4872

You can drive through Delaware, Maryland, and Pennsylvania in the span of a minute along Route 896.

1995hoo

DC isn't a state, of course, but you can pass through Virginia, DC, and Maryland in less than a minute as you cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

The shortest three state route for me from Fresno would be taking I-40 out towards Needles.  I can enter Nevada via Needles Highway and jump into Arizona via Aztec Road.  Without stopping and speeding it probably is doable in about six hours flat. 

Revive 755

Going off Google and when there are no issues with the bridges at Cairo it appears possible to do 6 (MS, TN, AR, MO, IL, KY) in a little under 3 hours via I-55, I-57, and US 60.

gonealookin

If we can visit states in Mexico, another four-state one in the Southwest would be starting in Winterhaven, CA, crossing the Colorado into Yuma, AZ, heading down US 95 to the international border at San Luis, AZ, crossing over to San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, and then taking the short hop on Mexico 2 back across the Colorado into Baja California.  Google Maps has that at about 29 miles in 46 minutes, time depending on how long it actually takes to cross the international border.

milbfan

US 58 West out to where it ends at US 25E at Cumberland Gap.  Three states, maybe 5 minutes.

-Virginia, where most of US 58 is located
-Tennessee - dips into for the last mile or so, heading west.
-Kentucky - take 25E heading north via the Cumberland Gap Tunnel

roadman65

Rhode Island? Isn't all points of that state less than an hour from parts of CT and MA? :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CNGL-Leudimin

I've driven through four Spanish communities in just 10 minutes :sombrero:. N-113 weaves across the short Aragon/Rioja line on its way between Castile and Leon and Navarre, however signs doesn't acknowledge the road enters the first of them.

In China it is possible to go from Inner Mongolia to Xinjiang Uyghur in just over a hour on G7. However it takes very long to even get to that really desolate section...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jmacswimmer

I think I covered 4 states in about an hour & a half while driving back from New England a few weeks ago: CT, NY, NJ, & PA via the Merritt/Hutch, I-287 over the Tappan Zee, and finally I-78 to its toll bridge over the Delaware River. IIRC I got gas at the Greenwich Service Plaza just before the CT/NY line around 5:45, and then my timestamp for the E-ZPass transaction at the I-78 toll bridge was 7:17. It was probably about a half hour to do CT-NY-NJ, and then another hour on I-287 & I-78 to reach the Delaware River & PA.

Another low-hanging-fruit example that comes to mind is I-95 ME-NH-MA in 15ish minutes?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MATraveler128

I-275 in Cincinnati can be done in 10 minutes with Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hbelkins

Quote from: milbfan on June 06, 2023, 10:57:28 PM
US 58 West out to where it ends at US 25E at Cumberland Gap.  Three states, maybe 5 minutes.

-Virginia, where most of US 58 is located
-Tennessee - dips into for the last mile or so, heading west.
-Kentucky - take 25E heading north via the Cumberland Gap Tunnel

Shorter than that before the tunnel came along, using 25E alone.

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 07, 2023, 11:17:45 AM
Another couple of 4 state routes people wouldn't think about right away:

South Fulton TN to Wyatt MO via Cairo IL - 49.9 miles, 1 hr 2 min
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/South+Fulton,+TN/36.9214526,-89.2232773/@36.8926052,-89.280858,12.07z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x88797bbc6bfe8b41:0xe187b1c3349788f6!2m2!1d-88.8753371!2d36.5008943!1m0!3e0?entry=ttu

I hadn't thought about adding South Fulton in, but I was going to suggest KY-IL-MO.

Also, KY-OH-WV via the Ashland bridge and US 52.

And OH-WV-PA via US 30, US 22, and I-70.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CoreySamson

You can do LA/AR/TX/OK in about 75 minutes using this route, taking advantage of the fact that US 71 barely jogs over the TX state line:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33.0194024,-93.9008084/33.6633585,-94.4861847/@33.3097753,-94.2842116,9.84z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?entry=ttu

And you can do TX/NM/OK/KS/CO in about 1 hr and 43 minutes using this route:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36.3866217,-103.0391514/37.1426487,-102.0434761/@36.5642506,-103.6490729,8.61z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-103.0549237!2d36.4918443!3s0x870564757aa64101:0x79735c22e335b8f9!1m0!3e0?entry=ttu

You could cut it down to 90 minutes if you run your car off the road of US 56/412 at the NW corner of Texas, though.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Bruce

ID-MT-WY on US 20 only takes about 20 minutes (assuming no wait in town or at the park entrance): https://goo.gl/maps/2J5fX5uGQnCzvmAF6

MikeTheActuary

I'm going to assume that the question is really "how long would it take you, from more-or-less where you normally reside, to visit n states".

One of my regular drives has me gong CT-MA-VT or vice-versa in about an hour (depending on traffic/construction).

It would take only a few additional minutes to make it CT-MA-VT-NH.

vdeane

According to Google, you can get from Nova Scotia to PEI via New Brunswick in under an hour.  That's probably the only example that's purely Canadian, but there are a couple of similar jaunts between Alaska and the Yukon via British Columbia, depending on how long customs takes, as well as Ontario-Minnesota-Manitoba.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MikeTheActuary

GaryV

Start in Ohio north of Billingstown, north about 3/4 of a mile in Michigan to Territorial road, the west about 1/2 mile into Indiana.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.