National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

Larger vs. smaller crowds at road meets - any thoughts/preferences?

(1/14) > >>

A.J. Bertin:
For those of us who have attended and/or hosted road meets over the years, we all know that different road meets attract different sizes of groups attending them.  Whether you are hosting or attending a meet, do you have any preference as to how large or small the group is?  Some folks are extroverts and may like it better when there are more people in attendance.  Others are introverts (some with social anxiety perhaps) and enjoy attending road meets but might become overwhelmed if the group is too large.  Some folks in our community may have no preference either way.  Maybe your answer depends on whether you are attending or hosting; maybe it does not.

I'm just curious as to what thoughts everyone has on this topic.  :)

codyg1985:
I honestly enjoy the smaller meets in smaller towns because they are just more intimate. I enjoy catching up with people, but it's so hard to do when there are more than, say, 15 people at a meet. The logistics also becomes difficult the more attendees there are.

If a meet is happening in a large city and there are a lot of people attending, then I would hope that the host is prepared for that.

Rothman:
Roadwaywiz did a good job managing the nearly 40-person attendance in Buffalo, but I was unable to meet absolutely everyone.  Saw a lot of people I had met before, and met others for the first time, though.

Been to a few smaller meets, too, one of which where people got lost on the tour, but we managed to regroup in the end, I think.

All in all, it comes down to the host's managing ability and the informal assistance they may get from attendees.  A poorly organized meet is bad at any level.

Grateful to say that no meet has been a regretful experience, though, for me.

Feel bad for that one guy some years ago, where some noob organized a meet, canceled at the last minute, and the guy was already on a multi-day trip to attend...yeah, don't be that host...

Big John:
I haven't been to a meet for a while because of health reasons, but the last one was a bit too big for me.  I would prefer a smaller one due to social anxiety.

74/171FAN:

--- Quote from: codyg1985 on August 27, 2023, 08:16:45 PM ---I honestly enjoy the smaller meets in smaller towns because they are just more intimate. I enjoy catching up with people, but it's so hard to do when there are more than, say, 15 people at a meet. The logistics also becomes difficult the more attendees there are.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I think I am in agreement on this though I cannot think of a huge meet that I have been too with major logistics issues.  (since I was not at St. Louis)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version