News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

D.C. Highways Question

Started by Ian, April 18, 2009, 12:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Hey all!

This may seem like a dumb and pointless question but I just have to ask it: why does D.C. only have one state (or district  :confused:) highway? I mean, couldnt they have named some streets in downtown with a route number? I dunno, just my though. There are some streets that look like they could be numbered.

-i
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

vdeane

Most roads in DC probably predate the idea of numbered highways.  In the 1920s where the US Highway system came into being, the public was actually hostile to numbered highways.  Eventually people just came to accept it.  The only reason DC 295 exists is for continuity with I-295 and MD 295.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WillWeaverRVA

William Yurasko's site (I forget the URL at the moment) had a photo of a DC 4 on Pennsylvania Avenue from back in the 1940s.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

QuoteWilliam Yurasko's site (I forget the URL at the moment) had a photo of a DC 4 on Pennsylvania Avenue from back in the 1940s.
The latest VDOT map shows a DC 355 on Wisconsin Ave(continuing from MD 355)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

yanksfan6129

Maybe having numbered highways there just isn't necessary, despite that some roads "look able to handle" it. Think about it. There are very few numbered roads in Manhattan, and most are in the northern part.

usends

Speaking of DC roads: I recently completed a map that shows all DC roads named after US states.  Everyone knows Pennsylvania Av, and there are other well-known ones, like Massachusetts Av, Connecticut Av, Georgia Av, Rhode Island Av, New York Av... but I was surprised to find that all 50 states are remembered on a DC roadname.  In the spirit of the original city plan, all of these roads run diagonally.  You can discern other patterns by viewing the map...
http://www.communitywalk.com/DC_roads
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

slinky

QuoteAbout the only non-Interstate route numbers I hear on a consistent basis are US 1 outside the District, and US 50, though even the latter you'll commonly hear "John Hanson Hwy" or "Arlington Blvd" along with it.

I'd add 110 near the Pentagon to that list.  I have no idea what the actual road there is called, but I've never heard it referred to as anything but 110.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.