News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your OS?

Started by Scott5114, January 22, 2009, 07:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Operating System do you use?

Windows
28 (311.1%)
Mac OS
6 (66.7%)
Linux (any distro)
11 (122.2%)
Any BSD
0 (0%)
Other
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Scott5114

Just out of curiosity. My computer has run Fedora (Linux) since 2005. I can use Windows, but it just drives me up the wall now.

You can pick 2 options in the poll if you have a dual boot computer. You can't pick three options because triple booting just isn't cool, okay?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

algorerhythms

Bah. I won't vote in this poll, because my laptop runs UbuntuMacVista. Dang bias against triple booting...

deathtopumpkins

Windows XP SP3 ftw!
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

I use XP SP3 as well... I'm very competent in Linux but I need my Photoshop (yes, the Gimp would cut it, if only they hadn't rearranged all the keyboard shortcuts relative to Photoshop in an apparent effort to purposely be dicks).
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

XP SP3; my next computer will probably be Vista.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Darkchylde

I use all three. Only picked Mac OS and Linux because those two see the most use.

algorerhythms

Yesterday I booted my desktop into Windows XP to play SimCity, and I noticed the time zone was still set to Eastern time. Apparently it hadn't been booted into Windows for at least a year and a half.

DAL764

Windows XP. Perfectly happy with it, and see no need to upgrade to Vista.

CityBoy1986

I use Windows XP as well.  While I know I'll have to upgrade one day, it isn't necessary right now.

Voyager

I have the lovely OS known as Vista.  :ded:
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

SimMoonXP

I use Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Michael

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 22, 2009, 07:12:26 AM
You can pick 2 options in the poll if you have a dual boot computer. You can't pick three options because triple booting just isn't cool, okay?

What about virtual machines?

Quote from: voyager on January 23, 2009, 02:42:55 PM
I have the lovely OS known as Vista.  :ded:

LOL!

John

I have XP SP3 and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon on an older computer.
They came, they went, they took my image...

un1

Currently Vista, but I use my XP computer more than my Vista one.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

algorerhythms

Quote from: John on January 23, 2009, 09:12:15 PM
One of the things that annoys me about Ubuntu is the silly names for each version... I try to look up a solution to a problem I'm having and the site tells me the solution only works if I have Virgin Vore or whatever, and that I'm hosed if I have any other version. I know that I have version 8.04. I have no freaking clue what its name is.

Darkchylde

Well, there's also owning more than one machine, and I own six. Two are PowerPC Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.11, two of my PCs run Xubuntu and WinXP SP2, one runs Xubuntu and OpenSUSE, and the sixth runs Win98 for the moment, although when I convert it to a server, it'll run OpenSolaris.

Freewayjim

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.6 with Parallels running Win XP Home
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

SSOWorld

I have computers with both Windows and Linux

1 has SUSE.
the other two have Windows XP (desktop) and Vista (laptop)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Lyle

I use Windows XP Home Edition, with Service Pack 3.

Scott5114

Quote from: algorerhythms on January 23, 2009, 11:15:46 PM
Quote from: John on January 23, 2009, 09:12:15 PM
One of the things that annoys me about Ubuntu is the silly names for each version... I try to look up a solution to a problem I'm having and the site tells me the solution only works if I have Virgin Vore or whatever, and that I'm hosed if I have any other version. I know that I have version 8.04. I have no freaking clue what its name is.

They go alphabetically from Breezy Badger, I think. Can't remember for sure but that might equal 6.10.

algorerhythms

Actually, if I remember correctly, they were
Warty Warthog
Breezy Badger
(something else)
Dapper Drake
Edgy E...something
Feisty F...something
Gusty Gibbon
H...something
Imperial Imp or something

I don't know what the point of listing them is, but the early versions were not in alphabetical order.

Scott5114

Edgy Eft, Feisty Fawn, and Hardy Heron. Edgy was named because it was anticipated to break a lot of stuff. On the other hand Hardy was named because it was going to be extra stable and supported for a longer period of time (several years).

Oh, and you forgot Hoary Hedgehog. I think that was the one after Warty. When I had it I always wondered what "Hoary" meant but was never curious enough actually look it up...

Now I'm on Fedora and everyone just calls it "9". It does have code names though, even though nobody really uses them. FC9's is "Sulphur".

Admin note: Use lighter language. ;-)

WillWeaverRVA

My desktop has Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3, and my laptop is Windows XP Home SP3 (Home because it's a netbook). I hate Vista, but I might upgrade the desktop to Windows 7 since I hear it's less resource-consuming than Vista, and it should work on my (slightly outdated) desktop no problem.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

ComputerGuy

Windows XP here!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.