News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Mounting a dash cam.... and not for time lapse road videos

Started by ZLoth, August 04, 2014, 09:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

I'm not a parent, but the thought crossed my mind....

With the advances in technology, you can now purchase a dash cam for about $70 from Amazon which will not only record the road in front, but also the driver. Would you consider putting one in for your teenage driver as a condition for having a driver's license and using the car? How about for an employee in a company owned vehicle?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

US81

Hypothetical for me at this point in my life; I don't have a company-owned vehicle and my children are grown. But I think I would probably place one in a company-owned vehicle, making all drivers aware. I wouldn't have used one with either of my children, but there is a certain subset of reckless teenager for whom this might be a valid option.

At the risk of going slightly off-topic: after witnessing / experiencing (as a front-seat passenger) a particular encounter with law enforcement, I've been seriously considering this type of dash cam for my personal vehicles.

Duke87

Employees: unless they are police officers, no. Cops need to be on camera for public accountability. But for people who do not have law enforcement authority, this is not a concern and babysitting them is insulting and pointless.

Teen driver: not on day one, although it might be something to consider if the teen proves themself untrustworthy.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

Quote from: Duke87 on August 04, 2014, 11:00:55 PM
Employees: unless they are police officers, no. Cops need to be on camera for public accountability.

Dash cams have also aided police officers when they have been falsely accused as well.  There have been a few cases when a female motorist accused the cop of sexual assault, and the dash cam shows that she was lying.  The dash cam protects both the motorist and the police officer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on August 04, 2014, 11:00:55 PM
Employees: unless they are police officers, no. Cops need to be on camera for public accountability. But for people who do not have law enforcement authority, this is not a concern and babysitting them is insulting and pointless.

Teen driver: not on day one, although it might be something to consider if the teen proves themself untrustworthy.

It's not a dash cam, but our vehicles have GPS units in them. They flag if you're going over the speed limit, although I've been told that it's only for extended periods and/or only if the speed exceeds 80 mph.

I recently drove a work vehicle to Lexington for a meeting. It was agonizing. I made sure I only drove 70 mph (the speed limit) on the Mountain Parkway and I-64. I only passed a couple of vehicles and was passed by just about every other vehicle on the road.

They also track the vehicle's location. I know a guy who got busted driving his work truck out of the area to meet with a female other than his wife. He knew full well the vehicle had a GPS in it, yet he did anyway. It cost him a short suspension and a demotion.

Between the GPS trackers and the "How's my driving? Call this number..." stickers on the bumpers, I'm afraid to even take one hand off the wheel to adjust the air conditioning.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Hypothetical question for me since we don't have any kids and I don't have any employees. In the "kid" situation, I think if I were to mount something to monitor his driving I'd want to do something the kid doesn't know is there so he can't defeat it. What that might be, I don't know. Kids tend to be savvier than their parents about technology and how to defeat it. I might consider secretly mounting a GPS tracker underneath the car if I were really suspicious, though I don't how well that would let you monitor things like excessive speed and the like.

I will say I wouldn't do anything of the sort unless I felt I had probable cause due to the kid proving himself untrustworthy. I'm also aware some kids would likely view a camera as an invitation to do stupid things so they could show off to their friends, which is why if I were in a position to consider this sort of thing I imagine I'd prefer an option the kid couldn't access or didn't know was there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

I honestly would just to have security in case something went wrong and had to call 911 or I got into an accident (*knock on wood*) and had to state my case 
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.