News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Male users - do you wear pink?

Started by Pink Jazz, August 16, 2014, 01:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wear pink?

Yes
14 (41.2%)
No
20 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

1995hoo

I wear orange all the time, preferably with navy trousers or shorts, but UVA orange is a brighter shade than Tennessee or Texas orange. I even have an orange button-down business shirt with the V-Sabre logo over the pocket.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US81

Regarding the history of the color pink in society:

There was a neurobiology study in the 1950's examining the color preferences of adults. IIRC, blue was favored by both genders, males slightly tended to prefer greens and yellows, females tended to slightly prefer deeper blues and purples. Somehow the findings were misinterpreted as "proof" that girls are somehow innately predisposed to like pink.

vtk

Quote from: Zeffy on August 16, 2014, 01:54:23 PM
However, I have learned over the years that purple is more synonymous with homosexuality compared to pink...  :confused:

Pink is gay, purple is bi. At least, that's what they mean on the bi pride flag, which also features blue for hetero.  Just like a single day can be five different "national ___ day"s and a couple of saints' days, a color can mean anything.

I don't own any pink clothing.  If I did, i'd probably wear it when going out on my days off, more than to work; I try to wear plain clothes (or Ohio State stuff, which doesn't draw attention here) to work.  I will not wear a combination of dark blue and bright yellow unless it's an HRC logo.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Ren97

Quote from: vtk on August 17, 2014, 03:33:07 PM
Pink is gay, purple is bi. At least, that's what they mean on the bi pride flag, which also features blue for hetero.  Just like a single day can be five different "national ___ day"s and a couple of saints' days, a color can mean anything.

Here we go again.

I don't wear flashy colors personally, I prefer to blend in with the rest.

1995hoo

Quote from: Ren97 on August 17, 2014, 03:58:08 PM

A pink shirt doesn't have to be a flashy color. Depends on the shade. Same thing applies to blue, for that matter.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: english si on August 17, 2014, 03:46:06 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 16, 2014, 10:11:00 PMIn the spirit of the above statement, all talk about religion and sexuality has been purged. Let's stick to the question at hand, and remember that this is a ROADS forum first and foremost.
And my whole post that had more than those topics was purged? Right let's reiterate it...

Pink as a man's colour was lost about 90 years ago - Hitler's pink triangles may have killed it off, but I highly doubt that would have had an effect outside the German empire. In Britain it was women wearing it having been 'liberated' by all the men going off to fight in WW1 - they 'stole' the colour and then men didn't want it back, instead stealing blue off the ladies. The whole process took less than 10 years after the German invasion of Belgium on August 4 1914. I guess the US might have held on in WW2, as, after all, they were so late to join up in WW1, that there wasn't the time for them to conscript and send over nearly all their men before the Kaiser was defeated.
Unfortunately, parts of your post were tangled up in the mire. Also, I like the way you've differently worded and expanded on the historical aspect of it here.

Alps

Quote from: Ren97 on August 17, 2014, 03:58:08 PM
Quote from: vtk on August 17, 2014, 03:33:07 PM

Here we go again.

This isn't "here we go again" - vtk is simply clarifying how each color is applied as far as the flag goes. That's factual, straightforward, and this thread continues to be monitored.

Brandon

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 16, 2014, 01:29:27 PM
I was wondering, for the male users here, do you wear pink?

No.  I'm fairly pink (skinned) as it is with blond hair that borders on reddish.  Colors that contrast nicely with that tend to work better on me.  Hence, I trend toward blues, greens, some reds, and grays.  However, I will never be caught dead wearing blue with yellow (UM colors).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JMoses24

I own only one pink shirt -- and it has a logo for the roller derby team I support, made when one of the members of the team was battling breast cancer.

I do own other shirts that have pink on them.

In short, I have no problem wearing pink.

Scott5114

I wouldn't have a problem with wearing pink, but I simply don't have any pink clothing in my wardrobe. I tend toward cool or neutral colors: lots of greens, blues, and grays. About the only warm color that I wear regularly is red.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: bugo on August 17, 2014, 08:18:58 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 16, 2014, 11:31:04 PM
I tend to avoid orange (Tennessee) and red (Louisville), although I do own or have owned shirts of those colors. I've worn purple before and like it.

I usually don't refuse to wear a shirt because it features the colors of a team I hate except for burnt orange.

I don't even consciously avoid the colors of a team I don't like, if they look good, then I don't really care...unless you're going to a game in person or party.

realjd

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 16, 2014, 01:29:27 PM
real men wear pink.

No, real men wear what they like regardless of color.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Laura

Note to self: Mike has no pink clothing. Fix this immediately.

6a

I don't currently have anything pink but that's simply because I haven't found a shirt I like that contains pink. I tend to go more for the pattern than the color, anyway.

Eh, well I guess a couple of those have *some* pink but it's not a defining color of any of them.

Doctor Whom

Quote from: Ren97 on August 17, 2014, 03:58:08 PMI don't wear flashy colors personally, I prefer to blend in with the rest.
Whether you blend in depends on the crowd into which you're trying to blend.  Clothing that would let you blend in if you were in Manhattan would make you stand out if you were in a blue-collar town in Virginia.  Um, or so I've been told.

bugo

Quote from: Doctor Whom on August 22, 2014, 06:11:57 PM
Quote from: Ren97 on August 17, 2014, 03:58:08 PMI don't wear flashy colors personally, I prefer to blend in with the rest.
Whether you blend in depends on the crowd into which you're trying to blend.  Clothing that would let you blend in if you were in Manhattan would make you stand out if you were in a blue-collar town in Virginia.  Um, or so I've been told.

You wouldn't be out of place with a T shirt and blue jeans in the city or in the country.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.