News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

City/Town Names that are one-of-a-kind

Started by webny99, January 14, 2019, 12:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westerninterloper

Quote from: Rushmeister on January 15, 2019, 12:52:41 PM
Indiana (almost certainly one-of-a-kinds)
Nappanee
Oolitic
Gnaw Bone

Adding:
Loogootee
Toad Hop
Floyds Knobs
Churubusco
Young America
Roachdale
Hessen Cassel
Jeff
French Lick
Odon

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

golden eagle

Quote from: westerninterloper on March 11, 2022, 04:10:54 PM
Nappanee
Oolitic
Gnaw Bone

Adding:
Loogootee
Toad Hop
Floyds Knobs
Churubusco
Young America
Roachdale
Hessen Cassel
Jeff
French Lick
Odon

There's Nappanee, Ontario. It's the hometown on singer Avril Lavigne.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

golden eagle

Here's some possible places in Mississippi that could be only ones in the world:

Bay St. Louis
Belzoni
Escatawpa
Gautier
Hushpuckena
Learned
Pass Christian
Rolling Fork
Saucier
Shuqulak

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

thspfc

If I somehow get really rich I'm going to buy a bunch of land, build houses and a post office on it, and name it Waunakee.

Scott5114

Young America

Nope–there's a Young America, MN as well (I only know that because when I was a kid there was some sort of promotion I took part in that involved mailing bottle caps to Young America, MN). Technically the town in MN is called "Norwood Young America" because it merged with a town called Norwood, but I think that's still enough to be able mark Young America, IN off the list of "one-of-a-kind" names.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

iowahighways

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 14, 2019, 05:16:21 PM
Zilwaukee, Michigan which was purposely named that so people would confuse it with Milwaukee, Wisconsin in hopes of luring people there to work.

There's also Waukee, Iowa, which was apparently named for the Milwaukee Railroad, but it is pronounced with the accent on the second syllable (wau-KEE). I'm not aware of any other places named Waukee.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2022, 09:07:30 PM

Young America

Nope–there's a Young America, MN as well (I only know that because when I was a kid there was some sort of promotion I took part in that involved mailing bottle caps to Young America, MN). Technically the town in MN is called "Norwood Young America" because it merged with a town called Norwood, but I think that's still enough to be able mark Young America, IN off the list of "one-of-a-kind" names.

The one in Minnesota is the only one I was familiar with, actually.

I've driven through that town a few times.  Back when my wife's grandparents lived in Waverly, Norwood Young America was along my somewhat convoluted back-road route from I-35.

And yes, Norwood and Young America were two separate towns until 1997.  I've heard it referred to as simply "Young America" for short, though–as well as simply "Norwood".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Some I suspect are unique to Ontario:
Penetanguishene
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Kawartha Lakes
Batchawana Bay
Kakabeka Falls
Moonbeam
Moosonee
Moose Factory
Petawawa

EDIT: How did I forget Mississauga?

achilles765

Has anyone mentioned "Cut and Shoot"  Texas.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Flint1979

Quote from: iowahighways on March 11, 2022, 09:08:20 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 14, 2019, 05:16:21 PM
Zilwaukee, Michigan which was purposely named that so people would confuse it with Milwaukee, Wisconsin in hopes of luring people there to work.

There's also Waukee, Iowa, which was apparently named for the Milwaukee Railroad, but it is pronounced with the accent on the second syllable (wau-KEE). I'm not aware of any other places named Waukee.
That's kind of funny to me because I lived in Zilwaukee for the first 7 years of my life and the street I lived on is called Waukee Lane. I lived there during the years that the Zilwaukee Bridge was being built as well and remember watching it as it was being built.

tdindy88

Nappanee
Oolitic
Gnaw Bone

Adding:
Loogootee
Toad Hop
Floyds Knobs
Churubusco
Young America
Roachdale
Hessen Cassel
Jeff
French Lick
Odon

How about another one for Indiana: Indianapolis

Flint1979

How about Tittabawassee? It's the name of a township, road and river in Michigan.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: oscar on January 14, 2019, 08:16:57 PM
There are two prior threads about funny/strange place names, that would be good places to look for one-off city/town names. Some of them have been mentioned here already.

For some others from those threads, which I've visited:

Asbestos, Quebec

Due to the controversal reputation of asbestos, the town of Asbestos was renamed Val-des-Sources last year.

Btw, there's no other villages or cities named Coaticook, Magog, Shawinigan. ;)

skluth

A few I haven't seen mentioned
Shawano WI
De Pere WI (pronounced Dee Pier or Deep Ear)
Thiry Daems WI
Omro WI
Taycheedah WI
Grantwood Village MO
Webster Groves MO
Olivette MO
Cool Valley MO
Bel-Ridge MO
Moline Acres MO
Dardenne Prairie MO
Des Peres MO (pronounced Day Pair)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2022, 11:38:41 AM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 11, 2022, 11:21:41 AM
    Bolivar

Nope.  I've driven through Bolivar, MO, several times.

Granville

Nope.  Granville, OH, and Granville, NY, each have more than 5000 people living there.

Hurricane

Nope.  Hurricane, UT, has a population of more than 20,000.

Paw Paw

Nope.  I've guerilla-camped in and hitchhiked out of Paw Paw, MI.

Star City

Nope.  Star City, AR, is a county seat.

West Union

Nope.  West Union, IA, and West Union, OH, would have something to say about that.

And those are just the ones I know of.  I'm sure there are others on your list that aren't unique to WV.

Probably so; indeed I should have remembered Paw Paw, Michigan since I've been to Kalamazoo (using US-131 and I-94 east of there).  I should also point out that Bolivar sounds like Oliver [Twist], and Hurricane rhymes with gun (and locals will remind you of the difference).  But in the case of the latter, most folks in West Virginia would say pronounce "Hurricane Katrina" the same way as herr-ee-cun, but they would not pay attention to the difference if you said hurr-eh-cane.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2022, 11:38:41 AM
    Granville

Nope.  Granville, OH, and Granville, NY, each have more than 5000 people living there.

And there's a Granville in France as well, in the department no. 50 (Manche) to be exact.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

iowahighways

Quote from: DandyDan on April 21, 2020, 05:12:24 AM
This one is a challenge for Iowa, if native American names don't count. The one that definitely fits is Le Mars. I suspect Dubuque and Bettendorf are unique.

Council Bluffs fits the bill, as does Sioux City (unless you count its directionally-named neighbors in Nebraska and South Dakota).

While it's a Native American name, Muscatine is also unique; it was originally named Bloomington, which is anything but unique. I'll add Sigourney; while it's a personal name, unlike the actress, it has a different pronunciation (SIG-er-nee).

I know there are places named Des Moines in Washington and New Mexico, but am not aware of any other place named West Des Moines.

There are also places named Iowa City in California (although Wikipedia says it's called Iowa Hill now) and Florida (northeast of Orlando), but Iowa City, IA, is the only incorporated place with that name. I thought neighboring Coralville was unique as well (aside from a fictional ghost town on an episode of The Snorks when I was a kid), but there's one in New South Wales, Australia.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

kphoger

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 12, 2022, 12:14:00 PM
I should also point out that Bolivar sounds like Oliver [Twist],

:-|  So does the one in Missouri.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2022, 06:44:51 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 12, 2022, 12:14:00 PM
I should also point out that Bolivar sounds like Oliver [Twist],

:-|  So does the one in Missouri.

And the one in New York.*

*Actually, I'm not entirely sure if it sounds like Oliver. I've always said Bolivar with a hard -ar at the end. But, regardless of how it's pronounced, it definitely exists!

Great Lakes Roads

How about Saint-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha! in Quebec?

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

plain

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 12, 2022, 11:01:38 PM
How about Saint-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha! in Quebec?

Yeah good luck finding another one of those! Ha! Ha!
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.