News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on August 17, 2013, 11:01:58 AM
Does Beaches really need a symbol?

No it does not, but DelDOT likes to place trailblazers for everything, which in this instance is dumb.

Quote from: NE2 on August 17, 2013, 11:01:58 AM

(Also: right sign should be 7 NORTH 58.)

I pointed out that error for DE 58 north to Steve when we stopped and photographed that two weeks ago. The panel has several other problems too such as EXIT ONLY in Clearview on the right and black outlines for the EXIT ONLY placards to the left...

I have always thought that Mall Road should be placed on an auxiliary sign. Usually when its placed with Christiana on guide signs for DE 7 (which is already in place on the southbound flyover), it conveys "Christiana Mall Road". However new signs on DE 1/7 south now read "Mall Road Christiana". This will likely change again if DE 7 between Christiana and DE 273 is removed as part of the proposed expansion of the interchange between DE 1 and 273.

jeffandnicole

Most technically, the right sign should read "58", then "To Rt. 7 North"

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: Delaware integrating E-ZPass into DMV division of DelDOT

QuoteDelaware DOT is integrating toll collection more tightly into its motor vehicles division which handles the state's motor vehicle registry and issue of vehicle license plates. Division director Jennifer L Cohan told TOLLROADSnews in an interview Friday that with the growth of open road and all-electronic tolling she sees increasing "synergy."

Quote"We are going to be doing more tolling to upgrade our highways. It's going to be free flow toll collection, so the synergy with the motor registry will only grow."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 17, 2013, 09:40:12 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130817/NEWS15/308170003/I-95-shut-Concord-Pike-until-Monday-morning?nclick_check=1

QuoteIn a major weekend traffic disruption, I-95 is shut down in both directions to allow for bridge demolition at the Concord Pike/U.S. 202 interchange north of Wilmington.

The road work is expected to divert an estimated 30,000 to 40,000 travelers a day to I-495, the recommended alternate route, before I-95 is reopened at 5 a.m. Monday.

Crews have closed the interstate at Concord Pike several times since last fall as part of the interchange reconstruction project.

Completely unnecessary for what they are doing.  Removing and installing bridge beams is not something that requires complete highway closures for an entire weekend.  As I said before, comparing this to the NJ Turnpike, the turnpike would've been shut down many night and weekend for the past few years if they maintained the same policies.
You've inadvertently stepped into my wheelhouse ;) No, you don't need to close the road, but in this case, they realized that I-495 can easily handle the diverted traffic. It's a LOT more efficient to get work done without having to worry about traffic coming by. Instead of 15-minute slowdowns, waiting for traffic to clear, and being limited to overnight hours, they can accomplish in a single weekend what might have taken a month.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on August 20, 2013, 08:18:22 PM
You've inadvertently stepped into my wheelhouse ;) No, you don't need to close the road, but in this case, they realized that I-495 can easily handle the diverted traffic. It's a LOT more efficient to get work done without having to worry about traffic coming by. Instead of 15-minute slowdowns, waiting for traffic to clear, and being limited to overnight hours, they can accomplish in a single weekend what might have taken a month.

I strongly agree. 

But there are not many parts of I-95 that have such a good alternate route as I-95 through Wilmington enjoys in the form of I-495.

Speaking of efficient, it's also important to note that being efficient also means saving money (either taxpayer money or money from toll-paying customers or money belonging to someone else).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

Quote from: ChezeHed81 on August 17, 2013, 08:04:26 AM
Delaware is getting its first set of overhead arrow-per-lane signs.  The two that I've found are off northbound exit 5A, and southbound exit 4B, next to the offramps.  Below is the sign assembly to be located at Exit 4B:

Bob emailed me to report that this sign is now in place above Interstate 95.

ChezeHed81

Both of the Arrow-Per-Lane signs are now installed over the southbound lanes.  Well, technically, only one is an APL, as the first, (the one near the "sandbox" (DelDOT maintenance facility in the median) has no arrows (as of August 21, 16:45).  Couldn't tell if they were covered, but that would be one huge greenout.  Rather, I suspect they are not installed as the one by exit 4B has the diverging portion of the option arrow obscured by what appears to be material like that of a black plastic bag which is held on by duct tape (Red Green would be so proud.)

elsmere241

Now they need to do something like that going northbound, to point out that while I-295 northbound (unsigned Exit 5C) will eventually split off to the right, exits 5A-B for DE 141 (and unsigned US 202 south) will still come off the right lane.  I've seen at least one car be in the middle lane to stay on I-95, then jump across the I-295 split to get to the DE 141 north offramp.

Alex

Speaking of those OAPL's, Bob sent me this article this morning:

Flyover ramp from SB I-95 to Del. 1 opens Tuesday

QuoteBy Tuesday morning's rush, commuters will be relieved of a long-maligned choke point when the new flyover ramp from southbound I-95 to Del. 1 opens to traffic, officials say.

The new design is meant to eliminate dangerous weaving between lanes at Exit 4A and relieve chronic backups at peak hours.

Motorists exiting the southbound lanes of I-95 near Christiana will no longer have to compete with traffic entering the interstate, and vice versa.

"We're closing the cattle chute,"  Transportation Secretary Shailen Bhatt said Wednesday.

Bhatt was referring to the end of the existing ramp from southbound I-95 to Del. 1, where drivers haltingly merge into heavy mall-bound traffic and other vehicles traveling south on Del. 1/7.

jeffandnicole

Got a good look at Delaware's arrow-per-lanes signs Thursday.  The one closest to Exit 4A/B is up.  For the split arrow (95/1), the exit arrow is covered up by what appears to be duct tape and black plastic.  Otherwise, what you see in the above picture is what you see overhead.

The sign closer to Exit 5 (Rt. 141) is an arrow-per lanes sign for 95 South as well...nothing is on the overhead assembly for 95 North.  The arrows are definitely not greened out...there's simply nothing there on the bottom part of the sign.

The 95 South to 1 South bridge is hardly complete...there's actually a fair amount of work left on them.  I'm a little surprised they are opening the overpass in its condition.

ChezeHed81

Around 6:30 this morning, the new flyover ramp from I-95 SB to Route 1 SB opened.  With it being open for only about 20 minutes, and the traffic being light, it seemed like a good time to take "grand opening" pictures.  It will be more interesting this afternoon when it has to handle rush hour.  The following is a progression of photos up and over the new ramp:

Arrows still to come...

Option arrow revealed

I it looks like a "cover-up"...  APL arrows overlaid on existing pull-through

The "gore-y" details (temporary sign)

Preparing to split

Exit to SR-7 and Christiana Mall.  Ahead, the right through lane ends.

The ramp is built for two lanes, but striped for one.  This appears to be the likeliest weak link in the system.  Either this is going to work well, or the delay will merely be displaced from I-95 to here.  I'd have preferred to extend the left lane from SR-7, coming in from the right of this photo to meet with the exit only lane for SR-273.  That would allow for this ramp to remain two lanes for its duration.  The existing bridge at the point where the lane from SR-7 comes in is already built for three lanes.

With some of the existing sign gantries remaining in place, it would seem that there is plenty of room to be freed up to place enough auxiliary guide signs for destinations like Stanton, Beaches, and Christiana Mall, which would probably allow for MUTCD-standard APLs.

Ramp construction seems to be well done - smooth, easily done at full-speed (traffic conditions permitting).  By the end of the week, there should be a fairly decent test with several rush hours and Friday beach traffic and Labor Day weekend extra volume.

jeffandnicole

Very cool pics!  I was down in the area Thursday thru Sunday for some volunteer work, and as of Sunday the lines hadn't been painted on the new overpass, the temporary barrier wasn't on the new overpass, and the modified APL on the exiting pull-thru hadn't been modified.

A few notes:

When 95 was congested on Saturday, I got a good look at the first APL sign - the one missing the arrows.  A close look revealed that there are holes in the sheeting where the arrows should be located, so either the arrows had been installed and removed, or the arrows will be installed and those holes were there in preperation of that.  Why the arrows aren't there now is the real unanswered question though.

What an ugly Exit 4        B sign.  Look closely at the 4....that almost looks like a crooked 'A'!

I won't be surprised if there's congestion for a few days (even into next week) approaching the interchange, simply due to the new configuration.  After that though, traffic should be free-flowing.

The single lane in that last photo should be temporary, especially as the 'Right Lane Ends' signs are construction signs.  I would like to believe the lane to the right of the barriers will merge into the lanes after the barrier and then end.  Eventually, Rt. 1 is supposed to be widened from 2 to 3 lanes, and all 3 lanes thru this area will continue thru.

Alex

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 27, 2013, 09:13:48 AM

The single lane in that last photo should be temporary, especially as the 'Right Lane Ends' signs are construction signs.  I would like to believe the lane to the right of the barriers will merge into the lanes after the barrier and then end.  Eventually, Rt. 1 is supposed to be widened from 2 to 3 lanes, and all 3 lanes thru this area will continue thru.

I would not be so sure about the ramp expansion to two lanes. DE 1 currently is relegated to a single lane ramp at its merge with US 13 as well. Plus from the News Journal article:

QuoteTwo lanes will taper to one by the time the ramp meets southbound Del. 1 just north of the interchange with Del. 273, officials said.

QuoteHe noted that drivers on the ramp won't have to merge onto Del. 1 but will have the dedicated use of the left, southbound lane. That also should keep the bulk of the traffic entering Del. 1 out of the way of those in the right lane trying to exit the highway for Del. 273, Torrijos said.

Planned US 113 upgrade in works

QuoteDelDOT opened a series of briefings and rekindled a long-smoldering debate Monday over plans to rebuild parts of U.S. 113 in Sussex County, convening meetings in Millsboro and Dagsboro to outline its preference for an up to $839 million proposal to relocate the highway between Millsboro and the Maryland line.

The agency released its choice in a draft environmental impact statement with little fanfare earlier this month. Generally, the plan calls for a bypass of Millsboro, Dagsboro and Frankford along a new alignment swinging well east of the existing highway. The existing road would be upgraded from the Maryland line to north of Selbyville before shifting onto a new path east of the present highway.

Actual construction could be decades away, officials acknowledged. Options for bypassing Millsboro in the draft environmental impact statement retained many key features of an approach outlined in 2007. Town manager Faye Lingo said Monday that local officials still support the design.

QuotePlans for the 16.9-mile stretch include six full interchanges, nine overpasses and five water crossings.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex on August 27, 2013, 11:07:01 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 27, 2013, 09:13:48 AM

I would not be so sure about the ramp expansion to two lanes. DE 1 currently is relegated to a single lane ramp at its merge with US 13 as well. Plus from the News Journal article:

QuoteTwo lanes will taper to one by the time the ramp meets southbound Del. 1 just north of the interchange with Del. 273, officials said.

That's unfortunate.  It also doesn't explain why orange constuction signs are used for that lane closure, rather than permanent yellow diamond signs.

Alex4897

QuoteI would not be so sure about the ramp expansion to two lanes. DE 1 currently is relegated to a single lane ramp at its merge with US 13 as well.

DE 1's right lane was actually extended past the merge to utilize some extra pavement.  So technically DE 1 keeps more than one lane through that merge.

Fixed end quote tag - Alex
👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 02, 2013, 03:23:04 PM
QuoteI would not be so sure about the ramp expansion to two lanes. DE 1 currently is relegated to a single lane ramp at its merge with US 13 as well.

DE 1's right lane was actually extended past the merge to utilize some extra pavement.  So technically DE 1 keeps more than one lane through that merge.

We were referring to the movement from Interstate 95 south to Delaware 1 south, which is the predominate source of traffic for DE 1 headed south to Bear and Dover. The configuration heading south will change again once a decision is made on how to upgrade the interchange with DE 273.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alex on September 02, 2013, 05:03:30 PM

We were referring to the movement from Interstate 95 south to Delaware 1 south, which is the predominate source of traffic for DE 1 headed south to Bear and Dover. The configuration heading south will change again once a decision is made on how to upgrade the interchange with DE 273.

Someone had mentioned the merging of Rtes. 1 and 13 as a comparison to the I-95 south to Rte. 1 south ramp.
👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 02, 2013, 05:56:46 PM
Quote from: Alex on September 02, 2013, 05:03:30 PM

Someone had mentioned the merging of Rtes. 1 and 13 as a comparison to the I-95 south to Rte. 1 south ramp.

That was me, and I see your point as the DE 1 mainline reduces to one lane at US 13 whereas this is just a ramp to DE 1 tapering to one lane.

Alex4897

http://deldot.gov/information/projects/us113/millsboro/index.shtml#MillsboroDEIS

There's some fantastic information here about this future US Rte. 113 freeway.  Personally, I hope this lays the groundwork for a Delmarva interstate, but that's probably far-fetched. Perhaps a relocated I-97?  :biggrin:
👉😎👉

NE2

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 02, 2013, 08:58:18 PM
Personally, I hope this lays the groundwork for a Delmarva interstate, but that's probably far-fetched. Perhaps a relocated I-97?  :biggrin:
Well shit, I got it. Extend the recently-approved NC I-495 east to Norfolk, then up the Delmarva and connect it to existing DE I-495. The Capital Beltway can be I-69O.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

We won't see a Delmarva Interstate.  Opposition in Virginia's portion plus lack of interest/priority in Maryland.  Virginia studied the idea in 2006.  Cost and limited traffic growth were  also cited as factors.

A US 113 freeway would be nice, but IMO the big hangup on 113 is in Milford, not Millsboro.

Alex4897

At the very least the current freeways and planned extensions could be a x95 interstate.  But Milford will probably be the big gap in this grand plan. Maybe DelDOT could just bypass it way far south of Milford so they don't get a say in it and the NIMBYs don't get all angry.
👉😎👉

froggie

As I recall, it was NIMBYs that killed the Milford bypass options as well...DelDOT had studied several southern bypass options for tying 113 south of Milford into DE 1.

Alex4897

Quote from: froggie on September 03, 2013, 09:46:51 AM
As I recall, it was NIMBYs that killed the Milford bypass options as well...DelDOT had studied several southern bypass options for tying 113 south of Milford into DE 1.

Eventually traffic will get so bad through that stretch they'll HAVE to do something about it.
👉😎👉

froggie

Not necessarily.  Even if traffic becomes more congested, traffic will eventually reach an equilibrium.  With *NUMEROUS* examples both across the country and even within Delaware, even if "traffic gets bad", the powers-that-be may well just sit and not do anything about it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.