News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

More US 31 upgrades between Indy and South Bend

Started by monty, July 12, 2019, 04:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnewkirk77

Look. INDOT's own traffic counts show 4,000-10,000 vpd in the smaller cities through which 31 passes south of Columbus. It's 20,000+ through Columbus and north toward Indy, except in a few rural areas.

If I may paraphrase Sheriff Buford T. Justice here, "there is NO WAY, NO WAY this road gets decommissioned."

Now where's my Diablo sandwich and Dr. Pepper???

The Ghostbuster

Has anyone ever seen Smokey and the Bandit? Or its two sequels? I haven't. In any event, I don't expect US 31 to be decommissioned, as I have stated before.

TempoNick

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 13, 2023, 10:01:23 AM
Has anyone ever seen Smokey and the Bandit? Or its two sequels? I haven't. In any event, I don't expect US 31 to be decommissioned, as I have stated before.

It was just on the other night on CMT.

Rothman

I've seen the first two.  Stayed away from the third, since that ain't Burt Reynolds...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JREwing78

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 13, 2023, 10:01:23 AM
Has anyone ever seen Smokey and the Bandit? Or its two sequels? I haven't.

The sequels can be safely skipped, but the original Smokey and the Bandit is worth watching, if only for the cultural references.

Watching it on TV, however, is kind of a drag; you need the unedited version with all the cussing included.

Moose

monty

🚧🚦🚦TRAFFIC ALERT🚦🚦🚧

DIVISION RD & US 31 TRAFFIC SIGNAL

The traffic signal at Division RD & US 31 will be reactivated in all directions on November 21st.  Please use caution in the area due to the change in the traffic pattern and keep a safe follow distance from vehicles in front of you as sudden braking and stopping are to be expected.

Please SHARE this post to help spread the word before it's reactivated. We thank you in advance.
monty

The Ghostbuster

How long before the W. Division Rd. singled intersection is replaced with an interchange, a grade-separation, or a cul-de-sac? The goal, after all, was to remove all signals on US 31 between Indianapolis and South Bend. I know the freeway conversion of that segment of US 31 (IN 38 to IN 931) was pushed back due to more study needed on impacts.

monty

Propel study released: https://propelus31.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/US31SPEL_UOAScreeningMemo_RP_WEB.pdf
An interesting read. First release of what "improvement types" may move forward and which ones will not. There are a few tidbits of examples that sneak into this document. Propel is really walking the public through the entire comprehensive exercise.
monty

JREwing78

Quote from: monty on November 22, 2023, 11:28:27 AM
Propel study released: https://propelus31.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/US31SPEL_UOAScreeningMemo_RP_WEB.pdf
An interesting read. First release of what "improvement types" may move forward and which ones will not. There are a few tidbits of examples that sneak into this document. Propel is really walking the public through the entire comprehensive exercise.

This document's primary purpose is documentation of InDOT's planning process, so that someone can't come back and complain that they were unfairly singled out or denied information, or complain that InDOT didn't do this and that in their planning process. Basically, it gives InDOT license to tell someone complaining that mass transit wasn't considered, for example, to sit down and STFU.

The only thing that puzzles me is the section about signalized intersections; while it doesn't discuss the addition of new signalized intersections (thankfully), it also doesn't really push the idea of actively removing them either. Frankly, leaving any kind of signalized intersection on the table is ridiculous and idiotic, given the substantial safety risks of such intersections on a high-speed divided highway. I'm sure InDOT isn't seriously considering retaining existing signalized intersections, but the document leaving that option on the table is bad planning.

Great Lakes Roads

There was no announcement or news, but the US 31 interchange at 276th Street is now open as of December 26th.

The Ghostbuster

cjw2001

I-55

Quote from: cjw2001 on March 27, 2024, 02:50:04 PMINDOT just published the Level 2 Screening Reports for the US 30 and US 31 studies.

In addition to the specific reports for US 30 and US 31 there is an interactive map with embedded presentations on each intersection.

Great, now I'm gonna be up all night  :coffee:

Reading through US 30 (East) first and it seems that the public generally wants freeway type improvements, and said improvements are the primary focus of the study.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ITB

For those who don't want to wade through the draft Level Two Screening Report, here's a summary of the US 31 South study area and the suggested alternatives for various intersections, interchanges, and other crossings. The South study area extends from 276th Street in Hamilton County to just south of the Eel River in Miami County.

Hamilton County

• 276th Street
  — no additional improvement warranted

• 296th Street
  — reduced conflict intersection [J turns]
  — traditional interchange (probably a diamond or tight diamond, w/roundabouts; shifted north)
  — access modifications (close off intersection)

Tipton County

• SR 28
  — minor ramp improvements

• Division Road
  — reduced conflict intersection
  — quadrant roadway (3 traffic signals — two on US 31)
  — traditional interchange w/roundabouts
  — quadrant interchange w/roundabouts (similar to folded diamond, but smaller footprint; positioned north)

• CR 550 N (Sharpsville)
  — access modifications (right-in, right-out only)

Miami County

• SR 18
  — quadrant roadway (two traffic lights, US 31)

• CR 800 S (Bunker Hill)

• SR 218 S (Bunker Hill)
  — green T intersection (one light, US 31 northbound)

• SR 218 N (Bunker Hill)
  — green T intersection (one light, US 31 southbound)
  — greet T interchange (one light, US 31 northbound; southbound, free flow)
  — traditional interchange

• CR 500 S
  — overpass

• CR 400 S
  — overpass

• Business US 31 (Peru)
  — green T intersection (one traffic light, US 31)
  — green T interchange (one traffic light southbound, US 31; northbound, free flow)

• W Airport Road (Peru)
  — Right-in, Right-out only
  — Seal off intersection

• Logansport Road
  — traditional interchange (folded diamond; positioned south)

• Blair Pike Road

• US 24
  — existing and projected conditions deemed sufficient; no improvements being considered

• CR 100 N/N Eel River Cemetery Road
  — relocate intersection to the north
  — access modifications (access roads, right-in, right-out)

• CR 200 N
  — access modifications (right-in, right-out)

Please bear in mind this is a rough summary on my part. And keep in mind, too, there may be more to "access modifications" than what is simply highlighted in the parentheses. For instance, if an intersection is sealed off, more than likely new or improved access roads will be built as well.

I'll try to get around to doing a summary of the US 31 North study area soon.

ITB

And here's the alternatives suggested for the US 31 North study area. The North study area, which extends from just south of Eel River in Miami County to just south of the Fulton/Marshall County Line, focused on eight intersections and interchanges. Of the alternatives suggested for each focus area, one will be selected.

Miami County

CR 550 N/Mexico Road
  — overpass
  — traditional interchange (diamond)

SR 16
  — quadrant interchange (smaller footprint than traditional interchange) w/roundabouts

Fulton/Miami County

CR 650 S/CR 1350 N
  — quadrant interchange w/roundabouts

Fulton County

CR 150 S/Wabash Avenue (Rochester)
  — overpass

Old US 31/Southway (Rochester)
  — overpass (US 31 — over)
  — overpass (Old US 31/Southway — over)

SR 25 Interchange (Rochester)
  — improve ramps; add roundabouts
  — ramp terminal improvements

CR 100 N/6th Street (Rochester)
  — overpass

Olsen Road
  — overpass (Olsen road — over)

Again, please keep in mind this is a rough summary on my part. While I have tried to be accurate and complete, I may have missed an item or two. Also, the No Build alternative was carried forward for all suggested alternatives for both for US 31 North and 31 South studies.

silverback1065

can someone post an example of a green T interchange that is already built, I have never seen one before.

sprjus4

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 28, 2024, 07:46:28 PMcan someone post an example of a green T interchange that is already built, I have never seen one before.
Something like this?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Sx5mP93CE6ZibZ4X9?g_st=ic

ITB

INDOT has a page devoted to the Green T Intersection:

https://www.in.gov/indot/traffic-engineering/green-t-intersection/

And included on that page is a video:

From the schematics I've seen, the main difference between a Green T Intersection and a Green T Interchange is that one of the two roadways is grade separated.

JREwing78

Any additional traffic signals would be a disaster. They are better off with J-turns (the "Reduced Conflict Intersection") if most traffic is turning, and biting the bullet on an interchange if it's more evenly split.

The fewer stoplights that remain, the more dangerous each one becomes. Most travelers are going to treat US-31 like a freeway; far too many are too distracted and will rear-end those who are actually paying attention to the stoplights.

ITB

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 29, 2024, 01:25:18 PMThe fewer stoplights that remain, the more dangerous each one becomes. Most travelers are going to treat US-31 like a freeway; far too many are too distracted and will rear-end those who are actually paying attention to the stoplights.

Agree. INDOT needs to move toward making US 31 an entirely limited-access facility between Indy and South Bend. Anything else is going to be problematic, all the more so as traffic counts increase. No stop lights, no RIRO, no driveways, and so on.

sprjus4

Quote from: ITB on March 29, 2024, 03:31:26 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on March 29, 2024, 01:25:18 PMThe fewer stoplights that remain, the more dangerous each one becomes. Most travelers are going to treat US-31 like a freeway; far too many are too distracted and will rear-end those who are actually paying attention to the stoplights.

Agree. INDOT needs to move toward making US 31 an entirely limited-access facility between Indy and South Bend. Anything else is going to be problematic, all the more so as traffic counts increase. No stop lights, no RIRO, no driveways, and so on.

I think the focus will be on Indianapolis to Kokomo. The traffic volumes are lighter north of there that freeway might not be an immediate priority. I do agree with eliminating all the traffic signals, however, and allowing a free flow divided highway all the way to South Bend.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ITB on March 29, 2024, 03:31:26 PM

The Plymouth to Peru section is not a priority. Not as much traffic, no really dangerous intersections. It does need to eventually be limited access all the way up to Peru though.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

monty

Quote from: ITB on March 28, 2024, 02:48:43 AMFor those who don't want to wade through the draft Level Two Screening Report, here's a summary of the US 31 South study area and the suggested alternatives for various intersections, interchanges, and other crossings. The South study area extends from 276th Street in Hamilton County to just south of the Eel River in Miami County.

Hamilton County

• 276th Street
  — no additional improvement warranted

• 296th Street
  — traditional interchange (probably a diamond or tight diamond, w/roundabouts; shifted north)

Tipton County

• SR 28
  — minor ramp improvements

• Division Road
  — quadrant roadway (3 traffic signals — two on US 31)
  — quadrant interchange w/roundabouts (similar to folded diamond, but smaller footprint; positioned north)

• CR 550 N (Sharpsville)

Miami County

• SR 18

• CR 800 S (Bunker Hill)

• SR 218 S (Bunker Hill)
  — green T intersection (one light, US 31 northbound)

• SR 218 N (Bunker Hill)
  — green T intersection (one light, US 31 southbound)
  — greet T interchange (one light, US 31 northbound; southbound, free flow)

• CR 500 S
  — overpass

• CR 400 S
  — overpass

• Business US 31 (Peru)
  — green T interchange (one traffic light southbound, US 31; northbound, free flow)

• W Airport Road (Peru)
  — Right-in, Right-out only
  — Seal off intersection

• Logansport Road
  — traditional interchange (folded diamond; positioned south)

• Blair Pike Road

• US 24
  — existing and projected conditions deemed sufficient; no improvements being considered

• CR 100 N/N Eel River Cemetery Road
  — relocate intersection to the north
  — access modifications (access roads, right-in, right-out)

• CR 200 N
  — access modifications (right-in, right-out)

Please bear in mind this is a rough summary on my part. And keep in mind, too, there may be more to "access modifications" than what is simply highlighted in the parentheses. For instance, if an intersection is sealed off, more than likely new or improved access roads will be built as well.

I'll try to get around to doing a summary of the US 31 North study area soon.

Thanks for posting the summaries. It's going to be interesting to see if INDOT goes with the good, better, or best scenarios. It all comes down to money invested. In my opinion, it will be many years before these segments will again receive this level of attention after the prescribed solutions are applied.

Focusing on the sector from SR 38 to Kokomo, it appears that the identified intersections will become the only access points to the highway, with a median restrictive barrier to be installed, as identified on the INDOT project web site - to be installed all the way up to SR 26.

As others have noted, it seems important to get this leg entirely up to freeway standards due to the traffic growth and development from Indy up to Kokomo. It also seems to be the segment that will set the standard that will prevail as the project moves northward.

Will US 31 continue to be reconfigured to interstate freeway quality from Indy to South Bend or will it just become a modified divided highway driven primarily by safety improvements?
monty

ITB

Quote from: monty on March 30, 2024, 12:14:42 PMIt's going to be interesting to see if INDOT goes with the good, better, or best scenarios. It all comes down to money invested. In my opinion, it will be many years before these segments will again receive this level of attention after the prescribed solutions are applied.

My gut tells me INDOT will be in favor of the interchange and overpass options. I don't see them moving forward with either the Reduced Conflict Intersections or the Green T Interchange/Intersections. RCI's are pretty much a non-starter and the Green T options feature traffic lights, with goes counter to the goal of removing all lights along the corridor.

The Level Two studies have forwarded the interchange option (either traditional or quadrant) for 14 locations between 276th Street in Hamilton County and Olsen Road in Fulton County. Of those, only one — CR 550 N/ Mexico Road in Miami County — will be considered further for either an overpass or interchange. Aside from Mexico Road, four other locations have overpasses as options — two each in Miami and Fulton counties.

There are only two locations indicated in the Level Two studies where neither an interchange or overpass will be forwarded as options — Blair Pike Road and CR 100 N/N Eel River Cemetery Road, both in Miami County. For these two locations, the studies have forwarded options in which direct access points to US 31 will be maintained, either via RIRO intersections or RCIs (as well as two additional options for CR 100 N). To be sure, the CR 100 N locations is a design challenge being, as it is, so close to the US 24 interchange. Good access to the businesses in that area, particularly JJ's Travel Plaza, must be maintained.

Quote from: monty on March 30, 2024, 12:14:42 PMFocusing on the sector from SR 38 to Kokomo, it appears that the identified intersections will become the only access points to the highway, with a median restrictive barrier to be installed, as identified on the INDOT project web site - to be installed all the way up to SR 26.

Yes, that seems to be the favored path forward. Only three interchanges are needed — 296th Street in Hamilton County and Division Road and CR 550 N (Sharpsville) in Tipton County. 

Quote from: monty on March 30, 2024, 12:14:42 PMAs others have noted, it seems important to get this leg entirely up to freeway standards due to the traffic growth and development from Indy up to Kokomo. It also seems to be the segment that will set the standard that will prevail as the project moves northward.

Traffic counts on US 31 are likely to increase as the corridor is improved, all the more so if the planned new manufacturing facilities in Kokomo come to fruition. Perhaps its best to look at the corridor improvement project from a long term perspective. Unless INDOT has a windfall, which is unlikely, the corridor won't be built out short term. But over a period of, say, 10 to 12 years, it becomes much more feasible. By building only one interchange and one overpass per year, and two interchanges for a couple of years, INDOT will be able to complete the corridor in a very reasonable time frame.

Quote from: monty on March 30, 2024, 12:14:42 PMWill US 31 continue to be reconfigured to interstate freeway quality from Indy to South Bend or will it just become a modified divided highway driven primarily by safety improvements?

Well, that depends on a lot of factors, many of which are unknowns at this time. INDOT's first goal is the make the facility free flowing. After that is accomplished, they will probably take another hard look at the corridor. But that's likely 10 to 15 years out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.