News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

I think Arkansas was just trying to save a little money. They have already been building the most costly parts of their portion of the Belle Vista bypass -namely the exit bridges and ramps, securing the overall right of way and completing a bunch of the grading work. If Missouri can get its act together and finally start building its portion of I-49 down to the Arkansas border I have no doubt Arkansas will get that second carriageway built pretty fast.

On the other hand, when one considers the crazy rate of price inflation with construction materials Arkansas might have saved more money in the long term by building all four lanes of the Belle Vista bypass at once. It might have done more to light a fire under the butts of the policy makers in Missouri as well.

bjrush

Building all 4 lanes of it with zero matching progress in Missouri would've been a huge risk. There really were zero signs of progress from the Missouri side for quite a few years now
Woo Pig Sooie

codyg1985

Quote from: Gordon on January 28, 2017, 07:55:55 PM
That is what they have made statements on that it is cheaper to do it all in one construction project. Now when the section from Hwy 71 to Hwy 72 is finished sometime this year does that mean AHTD will not do anymore work on the bypass until Missouri starts there section. So if Missouri doesn't come up with extra money the work on Bella Vista bypass will stop until 2020. That is when they have it scheduled. Then Arkansas has to finish there last section and still have to build additional 2 lanes to make it Interstate standard. Some way the 2 states need to get a fast lane grant to finish this.

From what I understand AHTD will not proceed with building to the state line until MoDOT can come up with the money to finish its portion.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 30, 2017, 07:43:22 AM
Quote from: Gordon on January 28, 2017, 07:55:55 PM
That is what they have made statements on that it is cheaper to do it all in one construction project. Now when the section from Hwy 71 to Hwy 72 is finished sometime this year does that mean AHTD will not do anymore work on the bypass until Missouri starts there section. So if Missouri doesn't come up with extra money the work on Bella Vista bypass will stop until 2020. That is when they have it scheduled. Then Arkansas has to finish there last section and still have to build additional 2 lanes to make it Interstate standard. Some way the 2 states need to get a fast lane grant to finish this.

From what I understand AHTD will not proceed with building to the state line until MoDOT can come up with the money to finish its portion.

They will also not 4-Lane 49 until Missouri starts construction.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

O Tamandua

Missouri's set to start their (finishing) side of I-49 in 2020.

O Tamandua

Scott Bennett's "Wish list" for Governor Hutchinson and President Trump: the I-69 Mississippi River Bridge and the I-49 Arkansas River Bridge:  http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/115718/fort-smith-great-river-bridges-comprise-arkansas-wish-list

sparker

Quote from: O Tamandua on March 01, 2017, 12:57:43 AM
Scott Bennett's "Wish list" for Governor Hutchinson and President Trump: the I-69 Mississippi River Bridge and the I-49 Arkansas River Bridge:  http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/115718/fort-smith-great-river-bridges-comprise-arkansas-wish-list

If just one of those -- preferably the I-49 crossing -- actually comes to fruition in the next 5 years it'll be nothing short of miraculous!  While this particular administration is proving adept at giving lip service to infrastructure issues, trying to pry actual funding for projects is likely to be problematic, given the short shrift for domestic outlays that has been proclaimed.

GreenLanternCorps

I'm a little surprised they have not done more design and prep work on the I-49 bridge.  They just built the Southern approach to it and it is the less expensive of the two bridges.

It seems like it would be the easier sell to get federal funding.

Henry

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on March 01, 2017, 07:15:57 AM
I'm a little surprised they have not done more design and prep work on the I-49 bridge.  The just built the Southern approach to itand it is the less expensive of the two bridges.

It seems like it would be the easier sell to get federal funding.
Not to mention it would jump-start completing the link between Texarkana and Ft. Smith!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think Bennett will get his wish granted for those Interstate river bridges?

codyg1985

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 01, 2017, 04:19:32 PM
Does anyone think Bennett will get his wish granted for those Interstate river bridges?

I imagine it depends on how shovel ready both projects are. I certainly hope that the I-49 bridge has a higher priority. I would imagine that would be first, followed by then I-69 bridge.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Bobby5280

I think the I-49 bridge over the Arkansas River into Fort Chaffee will have a far more immediate positive impact to the regional economy than the Great River Bridge over the Mississippi. Various towns around the Fort Smith area would have more efficient access to the growing Northwest Arkansas region.

The I-49 bridge over the Arkansas River is arguably the most difficult, costly part of the I-49 segment between Fort Smith and Texarkana. Right now it's a road block to further I-49 development. Getting that hurdle out of the way would improve the prospects of getting I-49 bypasses around Mansfield, Waldron, Mena, DeQueen and Ashdown funded and built. Then the rest of the corridor could be fleshed out over time.

Gordon

I agree, I-49 was priority before I-69 and Louisiana is working on I-49 south and I don't see them really interested in I-69 also Texas is working on the south end of I-69 . So if Arkansas works on I-49 until those states get serious we need to work I-49. not enough money to do both interstates at the time. Bennett needs to quit thinking about Santa Claus.

Henry

Quote from: Gordon on March 02, 2017, 08:03:08 PM
I agree, I-49 was priority before I-69 and Louisiana is working on I-49 south and I don't see them really interested in I-69 also Texas is working on the south end of I-69 . So if Arkansas works on I-49 until those states get serious we need to work I-49. not enough money to do both interstates at the time. Bennett needs to quit thinking about Santa Claus.
By all means, I-49 must be completed first before I-69 can get worked on.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sparker

Quote from: Henry on March 03, 2017, 09:30:13 AM
Quote from: Gordon on March 02, 2017, 08:03:08 PM
By all means, I-49 must be completed first before I-69 can get worked on.

Since the Monticello I-69 bypass is well under way (albeit as an initial 2-lane facility on a 4-lane ROW), and the intersecting AR 530 N-S connector, which gets its federal financing share via its inclusion in the HPC 18 portfolio, is likewise well on its way toward completion in a similar fashion, it could be safely said that the "nose is through the door" in regards to the AR mileage of I-69.  However, both of those projects could be characterized as in-state local-impact SIU's.  The 530 corridor was an "add-on" to the original HPC 18 description; added to procure federal funding for a long-sought high-speed connector from Little Rock and Pine Bluff to the "downstate" area -- the presence of the multistate I-69 corridor was simply a useful mechanism to get that job done!  And since the N-S funding ended at the I-69 corridor near Monticello (and didn't include anything south of there), that E-W nascent facility could be said to be, at least for the time being, a dispersal/collection system for AR 530.  It's notable that Bennett & company seem to have concentrated their I-69 proposal efforts on the section from Monticello eastward to the planned foot of the Great River Bridge; west of Monticello is where the corridor veers southwest toward the state line -- and the Shreveport area.   Since LA doesn't seem to be in any hurry to finalize I-69 plans outside their own Shreveport SE loop "SIU", it's more than likely that AR is focusing their attention on taking care of corridor segments that address local needs rather than seek cooperation from LA on the I-69 segment crossing the state line.  Until the time that LA makes the completion of I-69 a priority, it's unlikely that AR will pay much if any attention to anything SW of the present Monticello project -- and what's being planned east of that project will likely retain its 2-lane initial characteristics.  With any I-69-related work maintaining this limited scope, it is certainly likely that I-49 will be well along the way to completion before any portion of I-69 within the state even looks like a full-blown Interstate.

jbnv

Quote from: sparker on March 04, 2017, 02:17:59 AM
Since LA doesn't seem to be in any hurry to finalize I-69 plans outside their own Shreveport SE loop "SIU", it's more than likely that AR is focusing their attention on taking care of corridor segments that address local needs rather than seek cooperation from LA on the I-69 segment crossing the state line.  Until the time that LA makes the completion of I-69 a priority, it's unlikely that AR will pay much if any attention to anything SW of the present Monticello project -- and what's being planned east of that project will likely retain its 2-lane initial characteristics.  With any I-69-related work maintaining this limited scope, it is certainly likely that I-49 will be well along the way to completion before any portion of I-69 within the state even looks like a full-blown Interstate.

I-69 is far down Louisiana's priority list. After I-49, we have upgrading the I-10/12 corridor and fixing the I-10 cluster in Baton Rouge. People are talking about I-14, which would connect Fort Polk and Alexandria to Texas. I-d even put upgrading the US 165 corridor on that list since that's a cross-state corridor that serves three of the state's metro areas. The only way that I see I-69 being a priority for Louisiana is if Texas and Arkansas move forward. And Texas has little incentive to bring I-69 to Logansport.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

sparker

Quote from: jbnv on March 04, 2017, 10:22:42 AM
Texas has little incentive to bring I-69 to Logansport.

Too true.  Texas interests would seemingly be more than satisfied if I-69 were to essentially terminate around Tenaha and its traffic segue onto I-369 north to Marshall and Texarkana.  Houston-Shreveport traffic could just then head east on I-20 to their destination -- all while keeping traffic within Texas and presumably dropping $$ at TX truck stops and convenience stores.  They don't call them SIU's for nothing! 

O Tamandua

Speaking of Arkansas I-49, from today's ArDemGaz, NWA edition:

Highway department to show Wedington, I-49 plans Thursday

(I-49 in Springdale looking north toward Don Tyson Parkway.  A potential EIGHT lane interstate?  No wonder 2 of the 3 Fort Smith/NWA stations have moved their main ops from FSM to NWA...now just watch what happens to FSM when I-49 is completed...)

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on March 05, 2017, 03:06:55 PM

(I-49 in Springdale looking north toward Don Tyson Parkway.  A potential EIGHT lane interstate?  No wonder 2 of the 3 Fort Smith/NWA stations have moved their main ops from FSM to NWA...now just watch what happens to FSM when I-49 is completed...)

I've seen plans for an 8-lane interstate: it would likely require several businesses having to move, though Econo Lodge & Quality Inn would be no great loss, IMO.

Right now, 8-Lanes aren't needed since most drivers don't know how to use the far left lane. Knowing AHTD though, they will wait until it's urgent to widen the road again.

Tomahawkin

I said it 10 years ago, I 540/49 Should Have been 4 lanes both ways because of game day traffic , and even student traffic. Not to mention the area was getting crazy growth (In 2003-09 when I lived there) from students from Texas and the people who relocate from other areas of the country. I advocated 3 regular lanes and a HOV lane from Fayetteville to Bella Vista. They also need interstate lighting and Electronic/Commercial Billboards that you see in the city...

Henry

Well, at least that's a start!

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on March 06, 2017, 12:10:28 AM
I said it 10 years ago, I 540/49 Should Have been 4 lanes both ways because of game day traffic , and even student traffic. Not to mention the area was getting crazy growth (In 2003-09 when I lived there) from students from Texas and the people who relocate from other areas of the country. I advocated 3 regular lanes and a HOV lane from Fayetteville to Bella Vista. They also need interstate lighting and Electronic/Commercial Billboards that you see in the city...

I hate electronic billboards, especially at night.

Bobby5280

LED-based billboards are not bad for either daytime or nighttime viewing if they are configured properly and used properly. Both of those are gigantic IF's.

I design permanent signs and even a fair amount of billboard structures and ads that go on those structures. Many clients simply don't know what the hell they're doing when they want to run an ad on a billboard. They treat it like a phone book ad, cluttering the display with all sorts of information that will be instantly forgotten. The main purpose of billboard ads is to just reinforce brand identity. That's all. Make the message clean and simple as possible and it will be very effective. Most clients don't want to do that. They insist on loading the ad with phone numbers no one can write down while driving or numerical addresses no one can write down while driving. They want as much information on the board as possible even though the boards have only so many RGB LED pixel clusters available to resolve detail. Billboards are commonly 30' X 10' or 48' X 14'. That's huge. But when you're driving 60mph or 70mph that huge display suddenly becomes really freaking tiny and objects on the display will be legible for only a brief amount of time. The whole ad must be viewed in a glance. If the ad can't be viewed in an instant then the ad just plain SUCKS. And that pretty much sums it up for 90% of billboard ads. Most of them just plain SUCK.

The configuration side of it is even more of a boneheaded problem. Biggest issue: they don't install a solar cell that can automatically adjust the LED billboard between daytime and nighttime brightness. During bright sunlight hours the board needs to be running near 100% brightness. You only need a fraction of that at night. There's nothing like driving up on a LED-based billboard at night that is set to daytime brightness levels. It's like Close Encounters of the Third Kind come to life!

Tomahawkin

Random thought. Did they address the 412 interchange in Springdale? That area was hell when I lived there 12 years ago

Henry

If there's one advantage to LED billboards, it's that they can show multiple ads at once, something that traditional billboards can't do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.