News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: AHTD on May 08, 2014, 04:00:17 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 08, 2014, 02:54:29 PM

Making progress, I see. As of last weekend, they had only made it as far as Chester, but left half of Collum Lane unchanged.

I heard a rumor that part of US 71 north of the 71B junction (where 49 ends for now) was also signed as I-49. Have you heard or seen anything on that?  I may be up that way in a few days, so I may check it myself ;)

If it was, that is a mistake.

Someone may have confused the fact that I-540 ended at Exit 86 and continued as U.S. 71 past Exit 93 where the freeway ends. The section between Exits 86 and 93 was officially designated an Interstate and thus the first sign we changed out was the first U.S. 71 South route confirmation marker that appears just after you get on the freeway from U.S. 71-B.

GREAT progress has been made in the I-49 sign swap. Apparently we will do the overheads on I-40 last.

Once we proclaim here on AAROADS the sign swap is done, we'll rely on the road geek ground-truth squad to point out any that we missed.

Oh dear! Is that a challenge? ;)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Arkansastravelguy

I'll drive the entire old 540 corridor if  I can keep a 540 sign they missed :)

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 08, 2014, 08:21:56 PM
I'll drive the entire old 540 corridor if  I can keep a 540 sign they missed :)

iPhone

Don''t forget the intersecting roads ;)

Arkansastravelguy

I already know two they missed I'm just wondering if they will get then

iPhone

O Tamandua

Quote from: AHTD on May 08, 2014, 03:47:12 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on May 07, 2014, 08:12:03 PM
AHTD, I saw a LOT of construction / support vehicles off Peach Orchard Rd., S/SW of Lowe's Bentonville/Bella Vista today.  There's scraping going on there right now, and that is close to where the future roundabout/interchange will be. The trucks were from a Brookline, MO firm (which is near Springfield, not St. Louis).  Yours?

And do we know yet when the shovel-turning ceremony for the east Hwy 72 to north I-49 at the Bentonville/Bella Vista line will be?

Thank you in advance as always.

You are correct!

Kolb Grading mobilized this week and has begun moving dirt on the next phase of the BVB.

The groundbreaking ceremony for this project did not materialize. But you can bet on a ribbon-cutting when it's complete!

(Holding two thumbs WAAAAY up. :) )

codyg1985

Quote from: AHTD on May 08, 2014, 04:00:17 PM
If it was, that is a mistake.

Someone may have confused the fact that I-540 ended at Exit 86 and continued as U.S. 71 past Exit 93 where the freeway ends. The section between Exits 86 and 93 was officially designated an Interstate and thus the first sign we changed out was the first U.S. 71 South route confirmation marker that appears just after you get on the freeway from U.S. 71-B.

GREAT progress has been made in the I-49 sign swap. Apparently we will do the overheads on I-40 last.

Once we proclaim here on AAROADS the sign swap is done, we'll rely on the road geek ground-truth squad to point out any that we missed.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but oh how I wished you could convince other DOT's, such as Alabama DOT, Tennessee DOT, or Mississippi DOT, to participate on these forums and work with us like you have to move things forward!
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

txstateends

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 09, 2014, 05:10:09 AM
I know this is slightly off-topic, but oh how I wished you could convince other DOT's, such as Alabama DOT, Tennessee DOT, or Mississippi DOT, to participate on these forums and work with us like you have to move things forward!

I know, I wouldn't mind seeing a TxDOT rep come around regularly to add to TX project threads or talk about similar subjects also.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 08, 2014, 09:13:19 PM

I lost count at 15 ;)

I see the overhead signs are in the process of being changed.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on May 10, 2014, 08:36:06 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 08, 2014, 09:13:19 PM

I lost count at 15 ;)

I see the overhead signs are in the process of being changed.

The overheads in Fayetteville were changed Wednesday or Thursday. I'm going to St Louis Tuesday and I'll check if 71 is signed 49 in BV. Pictures will be taken if it is

iPhone

US71

It wasn't on Friday from what I saw ;)

Arkansastravelguy

40/540 still signed...

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 12, 2014, 01:41:56 PM

40/540 still signed...

Yup. Just saw that a couple hours ago. ;)

O Tamandua

Small story on desired relocation of route of AR 255 due to increased growth at Chaffee Crossing:  http://swtimes.com/news/fort-smith-barling-leaders-renew-push-relocation-arkansas-255

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on May 12, 2014, 10:47:24 PM
Small story on desired relocation of route of AR 255 due to increased growth at Chaffee Crossing:  http://swtimes.com/news/fort-smith-barling-leaders-renew-push-relocation-arkansas-255

Here is a map of the area.  Some of the street names are off: Fort Smith Blvd is now Frontier. What's labeled as Frontier is actually Taylor. The new AHTD shop is just west of Fort Smith Blvd and Frontier (shows up on the satellite view).  Wouldn't be too hard to do a reroute unless the whole road needed to be 4-Lanes instead of two.

Side note to AHTD: if you DO reroute 255, I want the old 255 sign (please?)

mcdonaat

Just curious, but what ever happened to no US 49/I-49 in Arkansas? I remember a while back that someone posted that until US 49 was removed, I-49 would not be allowed as a number.

bugo

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 13, 2014, 08:59:59 PM
Just curious, but what ever happened to no US 49/I-49 in Arkansas? I remember a while back that someone posted that until US 49 was removed, I-49 would not be allowed as a number.

That was some misinformation that came from AHTD (the DOT, not the poster).

AHTD

Thought you all might be interested in this little tidbit:

http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-tech-corx.pdf
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

robbones

AHTD,

There are a few through trucks must take 540 that need to be updated. I'm looking at the one at the south side of 40 and 71 in Alma. If i knew how to post pics on here I would show it.

US71

Quote from: robbones on May 15, 2014, 06:25:15 PM
AHTD,

There are a few through trucks must take 540 that need to be updated. I'm looking at the one at the south side of 40 and 71 in Alma. If i knew how to post pics on here I would show it.

You can't post photos directly, but can post a link (like from Flickr or Photobucket)

img  link name /img  with the img tag between brackets [   ]
Just about any os us Modes can help if you need it.

----

The sign crews actually missed a bunch of signs, like this one near Mountainburg:

Last weekend, I counted something like 20.

Arkansastravelguy

I've counted 10 north of west fork

iPhone

robbones

I saw a couple as I was cruising along today trying not to rear end idiots cutting me off  :banghead:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: robbones on May 15, 2014, 06:25:15 PM
AHTD,

Is it on StreetView?  You could always post a link to it that way because it would give the location for it at the same time on Google Maps for AHTD.

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 15, 2014, 07:41:59 PM

Mountainburg: 6
Chester: 4
New Hope Rd: 3+

Got to find my notes for the others ;)

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on May 15, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Lots between 49 and XNA

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 15, 2014, 11:12:15 PM

Quote from: US71 on May 15, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Lots between 49 and XNA

iPhone

You think we should start a list? ;)

(Nah, Bugo would kill us)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.