News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Future I-57/US 67

Started by bugo, June 14, 2012, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captkirk_4

Went from Illinois down 57 to South West Arkansas last week. Looked like a shortcut to head straight from the end of I 57 to Poplar Bluff then down US 67 to Little Rock. I have a Rand McNalley road atlas a couple years old. Saw the dashed blue line for expressway under construction and assumed it was already finished and some more segments might be done as well. That dashed blue segment up to Walnut Ridge is still not finished. From where the four lane highway ended south of Poplar Bluff to where it began again in Arkansas was unGodly slow. You have to go way out of your way 5 or 6 miles east from the old, slow 2 lane road to the start of the highway. I55 to I40 is still a lot faster.

capt.ron

The sad part of it is, is that the 67 freeway has been under construction in phases since 1962-3! From Historic Aerials and other sources like the archived maps from the Arkansashighways website:
1962 or so...: New US 67 freeway opened up to Jacksonville, ending roughly around exit 11 (AFB exit)
1965: extended to just north of Jacksonville; once had an at-grade intersection at Coffelt Rd (until the frontage roads opened up on each side), then became controlled access; terminated at the Lonoke County line.
1971: completed to Beebe, AR (exit 28) as per the archived 1971 map.
1974: completed to Searcy, AR (exit 42) as per the archived 1974 map.
1978: completed to Bald Knob... interestingly enough, this section of 67 is the worst in build quality and from mile marker 50 to 55, both sets of lanes were recently re done with all new concrete.
1983: completed to just north of Russell
1990: completed to just south of Newport
1995: completed to east of Newport (Newport officially bypassed)
mid 2000's: completed to AR 226; Tuckerman officially bypassed)
Late 2016: awaiting completion to Walnut Ridge.
I'm guessing by 2030 it should be complete to the Missouri state line, with the section northeast of Walnut Ridge mainly as a 4 lane expressway.
My Predictions... :)

US71

Quote from: capt.ron on April 10, 2016, 02:15:22 PM
The sad part of it is, is that the 67 freeway has been under construction in phases since 1962-3! From Historic Aerials and other sources like the archived maps from the Arkansashighways website:
1962 or so...: New US 67 freeway opened up to Jacksonville, ending roughly around exit 11 (AFB exit)
1965: extended to just north of Jacksonville; once had an at-grade intersection at Coffelt Rd (until the frontage roads opened up on each side), then became controlled access; terminated at the Lonoke County line.
1971: completed to Beebe, AR (exit 28) as per the archived 1971 map.
1974: completed to Searcy, AR (exit 42) as per the archived 1974 map.
1978: completed to Bald Knob... interestingly enough, this section of 67 is the worst in build quality and from mile marker 50 to 55, both sets of lanes were recently re done with all new concrete.
1983: completed to just north of Russell
1990: completed to just south of Newport
1995: completed to east of Newport (Newport officially bypassed)
mid 2000's: completed to AR 226; Tuckerman officially bypassed)
Late 2016: awaiting completion to Walnut Ridge.
I'm guessing by 2030 it should be complete to the Missouri state line, with the section northeast of Walnut Ridge mainly as a 4 lane expressway.
My Predictions... :)

67 has also been rebuilt in the Jacksonville area. So while the new road is being built to the north, parts of the older road are being rebuilt/refurbished. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

capt.ron

Yep. It's about to be 6 laned in Jacksonville. The new 3 lane southbound side is getting close to completion. Once that side opens up, I'm guessing the old southbound along with the Jersey barrier - median area will get demolished.
At least from just north of the Main St. bridge to the current 6 lane section southwest of Jacksonville. The fun part is when they 6 lane the section from James St to exit 16. That's going to be one h#ll of a mess! At least the part that is from the Air Force Base exit southward...

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 04, 2016, 05:58:23 PM
This February 3, 2016 article reports that the expected opening date is now "by the end of August or first part of September"
District 10 Engineer Walter McMillan of the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department shared the latest updates on the project with The TD.
The completion date and opening of this stretch of highway has changed several times due to various factors, McMillan said. At this time, he expects the new four-lane highway will be open by the end of August or first part of September.

This April 20 article reports that, because of the mild winter, Highway 67 from Highway 226 to Hoxie could possibly open by July 4:

Transportation was the focus of the Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce quarterly meeting on Thursday at the Lawrence County Meeting Room in Walnut Ridge.
Brad Smithee, a Hoxie High School graduate and maintenance engineer for District 10 of the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department, spoke about funding, construction and maintenance for highways in the area ....
He also updated attendees on the status of several projects, including Highway 67 from Highway 226 to Hoxie. Originally expected to open around Thanksgiving, Smithee said with the mild winter, the opening could now happen as early as the 4th of July.
"We should see an open Highway 67 very soon," he said. "I'm very optimistic that is an achievable goal."

Grzrd

Quote from: Road Hog on April 02, 2016, 02:56:31 AM
I humbly submit I-140 as a proposal for the temp designation ....
... it kicks the can of I-57 vs. I-30 down the road for a couple of decades.

Maybe not (and maybe time to change the name of this thread). This April 25 Press Release announces that Arkansas Senator John Boozman has introduced a bill to designate US 67 as Future I-57 and that any current sections of US 67 that are currently interstate standard could be officially designated as I-57:

U.S. Senator John Boozman, a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, included a provision in the Fiscal Year 2017 Transportation, Housing and Urban Development funding bill that would put Arkansas on path to add another highway to our nation's interstate system. 
The Senate Appropriations Committee reported the bill on Thursday containing Boozman's language designating Highway 67 from North Little Rock to Walnut Ridge as "Future I-57."  The bill would also give Arkansas the ability to request that any segment of the road that is built to interstate standards be officially added to the federal interstate system as "I-57."
"Arkansas has worked for decades to build this road. The time has come to start calling it what it is – an interstate-quality highway that connects Arkansas farms, factories and travelers, to the rest of our country,"  Boozman said. "New interstates take many years and support from the federal, state and local level to complete. As we work over the coming years to build future interstates in Arkansas, such as I-49, I-69 and a completed I-57, we will make Arkansas a better-connected state that is open for business."
After years of work and investment, Arkansas has built an interstate-quality road from Little Rock to northeast Arkansas. This road is naturally oriented to eventually connect with the existing I-57 in southeast Missouri. Currently I-57 extends from Chicago, Illinois to Sikeston, Missouri. The designation of Highway 67 from North Little Rock to Walnut Ridge as "Future I-57"  establishes in federal law that the region is on-track to officially add a direct interstate connection from the Little Rock region to Chicago as "Interstate 57."  While completing the interstate will take a number of years, this is a very important step in that direction ....
Resolutions of support for the I-57 Designation have been passed by the Newport Economic Development Commission as well as Chambers of Commerce in Bald Knob, Cabot, Jacksonville, Lawrence County, Newport, Sherwood and Searcy.  Other expressions of support have been received from communities throughout the central Arkansas and northeast Arkansas regions.

I didn't see this one coming.

The Ghostbuster

Well, if the roadway becomes an extension of Interstate 57, they will not have to renumber the existing exit numbers on US 67. Of course that would change if they (fictionally) decided to make 530 part of 57 as well.

Alex

Quote from: Grzrd on April 25, 2016, 01:59:05 PM

Maybe not (and maybe time to change the name of this thread). This April 25 Press Release announces that Arkansas Senator John Boozman has introduced a bill to designate US 67 as Future I-57 and that any current sections of US 67 that are currently interstate standard could be officially designated as I-57:

U.S. Senator John Boozman, a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, included a provision in the Fiscal Year 2017 Transportation, Housing and Urban Development funding bill that would put Arkansas on path to add another highway to our nation's interstate system. 
The Senate Appropriations Committee reported the bill on Thursday containing Boozman's language designating Highway 67 from North Little Rock to Walnut Ridge as "Future I-57."  The bill would also give Arkansas the ability to request that any segment of the road that is built to interstate standards be officially added to the federal interstate system as "I-57."
"Arkansas has worked for decades to build this road. The time has come to start calling it what it is – an interstate-quality highway that connects Arkansas farms, factories and travelers, to the rest of our country,"  Boozman said. "New interstates take many years and support from the federal, state and local level to complete. As we work over the coming years to build future interstates in Arkansas, such as I-49, I-69 and a completed I-57, we will make Arkansas a better-connected state that is open for business."
After years of work and investment, Arkansas has built an interstate-quality road from Little Rock to northeast Arkansas. This road is naturally oriented to eventually connect with the existing I-57 in southeast Missouri. Currently I-57 extends from Chicago, Illinois to Sikeston, Missouri. The designation of Highway 67 from North Little Rock to Walnut Ridge as "Future I-57"  establishes in federal law that the region is on-track to officially add a direct interstate connection from the Little Rock region to Chicago as "Interstate 57."  While completing the interstate will take a number of years, this is a very important step in that direction ....
Resolutions of support for the I-57 Designation have been passed by the Newport Economic Development Commission as well as Chambers of Commerce in Bald Knob, Cabot, Jacksonville, Lawrence County, Newport, Sherwood and Searcy.  Other expressions of support have been received from communities throughout the central Arkansas and northeast Arkansas regions.

Thanks for posting that Grzrd!

mvak36

I guess my question would be is Missouri any closer to building their section of this interstate (regardless of its designation)? And wouldn't they have to agree to this bill before it passes?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

US71

IMO, Senator Boozman is just trying to copy Rick Crawford's efforts to designate US 63 as I-555.

Revive 755

Quote from: mvak36 on April 25, 2016, 03:03:28 PM
I guess my question would be is Missouri any closer to building their section of this interstate (regardless of its designation)?

Considering that Missouri is not currently finishing their small portion of I-49 . . .

Quote from: mvak36 on April 25, 2016, 03:03:28 PMAnd wouldn't they have to agree to this bill before it passes?

You are thinking of interstate numbering via AASHTO and/or FHWA.  A lone congressman can designate the route as whatever interstate number they want, no matter what the adjoining states think, barring active opposition from congressman of the adjacent states.

US71

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 25, 2016, 09:29:53 PM
I guess my question would be is Missouri any closer to building their section of this interstate (regardless of its designation)?

Considering that Missouri is not currently finishing their small portion of I-49 . . .

Quote from: mvak36 on April 25, 2016, 03:03:28 PMAnd wouldn't they have to agree to this bill before it passes?

You are thinking of interstate numbering via AASHTO and/or FHWA.  A lone congressman can designate the route as whatever interstate number they want, no matter what the adjoining states think, barring active opposition from congressman of the adjacent states.
Like I-99? ;)

Wayward Memphian

This should be the big clue on what future work will look like, interstate standard to the Missouri line.

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on April 25, 2016, 09:41:37 PM

Like I-99? ;)

I guess if he manages to get it passed, we'll be seeing a disjointed I-57 in Arkansas soon.  :bigass: :poke:
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

wdcrft63

Am I the only one thinking that this trend of interstate route numbering by Congress is a bit out of control?

US71

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 25, 2016, 11:21:00 PM
Am I the only one thinking that this trend of interstate route numbering by Congress is a bit out of control?
Because it's easier than doing their real jobs?

Wayward Memphian

Missouri has about 15 miles of flat earth to connect the end of the 4 lane segments of US 67/US 60 if Arkansas runs 67 all interstate to the line. Given the terrain, it should be much cheaper than the Missouri portion of I-49 that's left. So much of the big work is done on Missouri's part with most all major interchanges in place.

Arkansas will have about 45 miles more from Walnut Ridge.

So, by this summer, you'll have 60 miles left to 4 lane.

Bobby5280

While the land from Poplar Bluff to Sikeston is pretty flat, Missouri still has a lot of frontage road segments to build, some property to remove and at grade intersections to either eliminate or convert into freeway exits. There's more mileage of that to cover than there is of the Southernmost segment of I-49 in Missouri. Given Missouri's current state of affairs I would not be surprised if Arkansas managed to build all of their segment of Future I-57 up to the Missouri state line before Missouri finished their part of it. And this is assuming I-57 would be routed up by way of Poplar Bluff. A much more direct connection to I-57 in Illinois would be routing from Walnut Ridge up to a point East of Dexter. Going by way of Poplar Bluff doesn't save much mileage and time versus taking I-55 down to West Memphis and picking up I-40.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 26, 2016, 12:42:10 AM
While the land from Poplar Bluff to Sikeston is pretty flat, Missouri still has a lot of frontage road segments to build, some property to remove and at grade intersections to either eliminate or convert into freeway exits. There's more mileage of that to cover than there is of the Southernmost segment of I-49 in Missouri. Given Missouri's current state of affairs I would not be surprised if Arkansas managed to build all of their segment of Future I-57 up to the Missouri state line before Missouri finished their part of it. And this is assuming I-57 would be routed up by way of Poplar Bluff. A much more direct connection to I-57 in Illinois would be routing from Walnut Ridge up to a point East of Dexter. Going by way of Poplar Bluff doesn't save much mileage and time versus taking I-55 down to West Memphis and picking up I-40.

There are large parts of US 60 already with frontage roads even with at grade crossings, lots of crossing would be no access over passes. Most of all of those fields already have two ways to access them and frontage roads not needed for the part. You use what's there instead of trying to shave a handful of miles off.and use the existing routing. I could care less about it being six one way and a half dozen the other, redundancy in case of a major seismic even along the New Madrid is more important. It would also help with clearing congestion which contributes to Ozone issues around West Memphis. In turn, that effects economic development particularly major industrial super projects.

Missouri and Arkansas should also work together of 4 laning 412 from Walnut Ridge and Hoxie to Kennett and shoot for an extention of I-155.

The Ghostbuster

Is there an actual proposal to extend Interstate 155 westward along US 412? If not, put it in Fictional Highways. By the way, I personally don't care which Interstate number the US 67 corridor gets, as long as it isn't a 3-digit Interstate.

I-39

Well, that settles that.

It looks like the remainder of the US 67 corridor between Walnut Ridge and the Missouri state line will be finished to Interstate-standards and the number will be I-57.

Honestly, upgrading US 60 from Poplar Bluff to Sikeston and US 67 from Poplar Bluff to the Arkansas state line would not be terribly difficult, most of it is already four lane expressway grade. But with Missouri funding woes, it won't happen anytime soon.

Road Hog

Quote from: Grzrd on April 25, 2016, 01:59:05 PM

Late to the party, but ...
:clap:

TXtoNJ

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 25, 2016, 11:21:00 PM

It makes rural yahoos very happy, and other folks in Congress aren't enough of roadgeeks to care about it one way or the other. We're just going to have to accept this as the new norm.

Grzrd

This article reports on the reaction to Senator Boozman's Future I-57 announcement from the Missouri side of the state line; complications arising from access for agricultural vehicles comprise part of the predictable funding challenges:

U.S. Sen. John Boozman, R-Arkansas, has introduced legislation that someday could lead to an extension of Interstate 57 from Sikeston, Missouri, to Little Rock, Arkansas, passing through Dexter and Poplar Bluff in Missouri and Corning, Arkansas, along the way ....
We are thrilled Sen. Boozman has introduced this legislation,"  Halter said. "Completing a four-lane highway between Poplar Bluff and Little Rock will have a tremendous economic impact for our entire region."
The Highway 67 Corp., an organization that led the completion of a four-lane route from Poplar Bluff to Fredericktown, Missouri, also applauded the senator's announcement.
"We of the Highway 67 corporate board are very interested in seeing some real important "˜fruit' for our area. Because ever since we finished the job of four-laning 67 from Fredericktown to Poplar Bluff, we have tried to get Arkansas to be more interested in bringing Highway 67 to the state line,"  said corporation chairman Tom Lawson.
Lawson said while the corporation had been in talks with Arkansas transportation officials since the completion of the Poplar Bluff/Fredericktown project in August 2011, the senator's announcement came as a surprise.
Poplar Bluff Greater Area Chamber of Commerce president Steve Halter cited a potentially "tremendous"  economic effect to Poplar Bluff and surrounding areas.
"I didn't know there was that much interest coming out of his office. I talked with him in Washington about four years ago, and he was interested, but said there just wasn't any money,"  Lawson said.
Arkansas residents in 2012 approved a half-cent sales tax to fund surface transportation projects and specifically, according to the ballot language, to focus on four-lane highway improvements. That tax also contains a 10-year expiration clause, and funds raised could not exceed $1.3 billion.
"Since that time, they have been interested in looking at major corridors and, thank goodness, they have realized Highway 67 is very important and they want to make that an interstate highway. We are certainly not opposed to that,"  Lawson said.
Efforts by the Missouri Department of Transportation to gain funding through ballot and legislative means recently have met with failure. The I-57 project in Missouri, while no exact figure was available, certainly would cost millions the department doesn't have at this time, according to local MoDOT officials.
"The big thing we are facing at the Missouri Department of Transportation is that right now we feel that we have a budget capable of taking care of what we have, but we do not have a budget to expand what we have. That, of course, is a challenge,"  said MoDOT Southeast District engineer David Wyman.
Wyman said for the designation to take place, all unregulated access roads along the corridor from Sikeston to the state line would need to be removed. That would not only cost a considerable sum, but create headaches for the local agriculture industry.
"Basically, the definition of an interstate means that you have no at-grade crossings. All of the crossovers that we have through there – there are several with all the little towns – would have to be brought up to provide access to an interchange or access to an outer road, both of which are expensive,"  Wyman said.

In light of the various challenges, Wyman said MoDOT remains hopeful funding for the project can be acquired.
"That being said, we definitely want to be a partner. We want to take part in the conversations the north Arkansas folks are having. We want to take part in the conversation the Arkansas highway department is having. We want to be a good partner – this stuff doesn't happen overnight.
"We are hopeful the legislature and the people of Missouri will see the need for some more funding to allow for that expansion,"  Wyman said.

NE2

What happened to agricultural traffic when US 71 became I-49? If I'm not mistaken, large portions were upgraded on the spot with no old alignment or frontage road. Except for a bit just west of Dexter, old US 60 is all intact. The main obstacle is getting rid of the at-grades, of which I count about 25 plus some driveways. Many of the driveways can probably be closed with access provided from existing backage roads.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.