Road Trips You Want To Go On At Least Once In Your Life

Started by US 41, September 08, 2014, 04:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Quote from: Jbte on September 14, 2014, 05:56:54 PM

Someday I hope I can make a huge road trip from Mexico to Tierra de Fuego (all by spanish speaking countries)

When you get to Panama City you'll have to go north to Colon and ship your car to Cartagena, Colombia. For some odd reason a road hasn't been built from Panama to Colombia. Colombia is building a road to the Panamanian border, but Panama seems uninterested in connecting Highway 1 with it, right now. The shipping is expensive too. It's about $1000 (USD). I'm hoping that one day I will be able to make this trip too.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

froggie

QuoteFor some odd reason a road hasn't been built from Panama to Colombia.

Cost?  A huge expanse of jungle?  Not wanting to make it easier for the cartels?

From my Navy visits to Panama, the first two were the ones I heard cited the most.

US 41

Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2014, 08:11:02 AM
QuoteFor some odd reason a road hasn't been built from Panama to Colombia.

Cost?  A huge expanse of jungle?  Not wanting to make it easier for the cartels?

From my Navy visits to Panama, the first two were the ones I heard cited the most.

The estimate was 300 million USD. The US also has agreed to pay for 1/3 of the construction costs. So Panama essentialy has to come up with 100 million USD (since Colombia is already building their section for 100 million) to pay for it. I'm sure they could find a way if they really wanted it. Not to mention all the money they probably get from having the Panama Canal.

NWI_Irish96

Houlton, ME - Portsmouth, NH - Boston, MA - Buffalo, NY - Cleveland, OH - Detroit, MI - Grand Rapids, MI - Hammond, IN - Chicago, IL - Milwaukee, WI - Madison, WI - Minneapolis, MN - Fargo, ND - Billings, MT - Coeur d'Alene, ID - Seattle, WA - Portland, OR - San Francisco, CA - Los Angeles, CA - San Diego, CA - Tucson, AZ - El Paso, TX - San Antonio, TX - Houston, TX - New Orleans, LA - Biloxi, MS - Mobile, AL - Tampa, FL - Miami, FL - Jacksonville, FL - Savannah, GA - Florence, SC - Fayetteville, NC - Richmond, VA - Washington, DC - Baltimore, MD - Wilmington, DE - Elizabeth, NJ - Staten Island, NY - Brooklyn, NY - Queens, NY - Bronx, NY - Greenwich, CT - Providence, RI - Boston, MA
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

froggie

Even with the low wages down there, that dollar figure seems awfully low.

Jbte

Found this:
http://www.mstarz.com/articles/36616/20140909/top-10-best-road-trips-travel-channel-breaks-down-getaways.htm

Might be interesting for some to know...
I found interesting the road between Creel-Batopilas in top 10 best road trips...

US 41

Quote from: Jbte on September 17, 2014, 10:08:23 PM
Found this:
http://www.mstarz.com/articles/36616/20140909/top-10-best-road-trips-travel-channel-breaks-down-getaways.htm

Might be interesting for some to know...
I found interesting the road between Creel-Batopilas in top 10 best road trips...

Interesting. In Bolivia there is a road made of salt. Hopefully one can't get salt poisoning from licking the walls in the salt hotel. :D

cjk374

My list of no order:

US 80:  San Diego to Tybee Island, GA  (I live on 80 & seen lots of it, including Tybee Island, but wanna do it all at once).

US 66

US 1

LA 1: and any other SR 1, because they should be long, important highways...but many aren't (I'm looking at you MS & AR)!

US 51 because it gets no love in Mississippi, and I know there is more to it up north.  :no:

US 50, especially out west.

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

oscar

Quote from: cjk374 on September 28, 2014, 11:39:39 PM
My list of no order:

US 80:  San Diego to Tybee Island, GA  (I live on 80 & seen lots of it, including Tybee Island, but wanna do it all at once).

US 80's west end is now near Dallas TX.  The old signs in Tybee Island say San Diego, and there's some stray old US 80 signage west of Dallas (such as in downtown Deming NM), but those signs are seriously outdated, since the highway got truncated ages ago. 

So unless you really want to follow the old US 80 alignment, that trip will be a lot shorter than you might've expected. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

QuoteLA 1: and any other SR 1, because they should be long, important highways...but many aren't (I'm looking at you MS & AR)!

Mississippi set up their 1/2-digit state highways in a grid format.  It may not be long or important, but it fits their grid.  It should be noted that, had they set their state highway system up before the US highways came about (Mississippi didn't get to it until ca. 1930), US 61 would have supplanted most of it's likely route.

As for AR 1, true it's not all that long, but it is an important route...important enough to where AHTD got it included on the National Highway System.

cjk374

Quote from: oscar on September 28, 2014, 11:52:14 PM
My list of no order:

US 80's west end is now near Dallas TX.  The old signs in Tybee Island say San Diego, and there's some stray old US 80 signage west of Dallas (such as in downtown Deming NM), but those signs are seriously outdated, since the highway got truncated ages ago. 

So unless you really want to follow the old US 80 alignment, that trip will be a lot shorter than you might've expected. 

That's what I wanna do...follow the entire original route.  I have lived on it all my life and have been very curious about what it looks like now & imagine what it may have looked like back in the day.

Quote from: froggie on September 29, 2014, 08:59:37 AM
QuoteLA 1: and any other SR 1, because they should be long, important highways...but many aren't (I'm looking at you MS & AR)!

Mississippi set up their 1/2-digit state highways in a grid format.  It may not be long or important, but it fits their grid.  It should be noted that, had they set their state highway system up before the US highways came about (Mississippi didn't get to it until ca. 1930), US 61 would have supplanted most of it's likely route.

As for AR 1, true it's not all that long, but it is an important route...important enough to where AHTD got it included on the National Highway System.

I didn't realize AR 1 covered that much territory.  The map you provided definitely paints a different picture than what I had.

US81

Quote from: cjk374 on September 29, 2014, 09:52:15 AM
Quote from: oscar on September 28, 2014, 11:52:14 PM
My list of no order:

That's what I wanna do...follow the entire original route.  I have lived on it all my life and have been very curious about what it looks like now & imagine what it may have looked like back in the day.

It's on my list, too. I've been as far as El Paso before its decommissioning, and posters on this site and others have documented so many remnants in the southwest that would be so cool to find.

wphiii

I didn't realize AR 1 covered that much territory.  The map you provided definitely paints a different picture than what I had.

If you want to drive any route in Arkansas front to back, AR 7 is where it's at, IMO.

KG909

This is going to be first major trip

~Fuccboi

cjk374

Quote from: wphiii on September 29, 2014, 04:53:15 PM

If you want to drive any route in Arkansas front to back, AR 7 is where it's at, IMO.

I have clinched all of AR 7 from the AR/LA line up to Diamond City.  It is a most excellent journey!  :nod:  :thumbsup:

The High Plains Traveler

Finish U.S. 50. I would start at St. Louis and go to the east coast from there.
Finish I-70. I would have to start in mid-MO and go east from there (or vice versa).
Having just filled a lot of gaps on I-80, that looks pretty achievable as well.

One or two of these could fit with an interesting east coast road meet.

Alaska Highway.
the Baja Highway (Mex. 1)
Anything in Europe.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

KG909

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on October 11, 2014, 03:02:37 PM
Finish U.S. 50. I would start at St. Louis and go to the east coast from there.
Finish I-70. I would have to start in mid-MO and go east from there (or vice versa).
Having just filled a lot of gaps on I-80, that looks pretty achievable as well.

One or two of these could fit with an interesting east coast road meet.

Alaska Highway.
the Baja Highway (Mex. 1)
Anything in Europe.
Mex 1 isn't all that great actually
~Fuccboi

MrDisco99

Done and recommended:

US1 to Key West - my favorite drive in the US
Ireland west coast (Dingle-Shannon ferry-Slea Head-Cliffs of Moher-Burren-Galway-Clifden-Westport-Cong) - my favorite drive in the world
Las Vegas to Four Corners and back via old 66, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce, and Zion - just a few weeks ago
US129 near NC/TN border - never made it past 3rd gear :)
Blue Ridge Pkwy - more great views, would be spectacular in the fall
NY Thruway - the whole thing, from the Bronx to Erie via Niagara Falls... surprisingly pretty drive
PA Turnpike - also very pretty, particularly the western half... skipped past Pittsburgh, though... maybe next time
OH pike/Indiana Toll Rd/Chicago Skyway - Classic historic highway... not much to see, though
I-55 end to end - New Orleans, Memphis, St. Louis, and Chicago... checked off lots of attractions on this trip

Want to do:

Garden State Pkwy down to Cape May/Delaware ferry to Chessapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
I-35 into Mexico through Monterrey, Mexico City, and Villahermosa to Palenque
Detroit then up into Canada via Windsor, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City
Tijuana to Vancouver
Alaska Highway
Edinburgh-Glasgow-Belfast-Dublin (can even be done with a single bus ticket!)
more driving in Scotland (Campbeltown, Islay, Skye)

english si

Quote from: MrDisco99 on November 07, 2014, 04:43:54 PMEdinburgh-Glasgow-Belfast-Dublin (can even be done with a single bus ticket!)
Megabus? Certainly a coach company, rather than buses.

Depending on the ferry route that could be a total borefest or it could have some nice scenery between Ayr and Cairnryan (and cool motorways in Glasgow) to give something other than boredom, but it's still just about the most boring thing to do with a day from Edinburgh - it's not like you'd be able to get out and look at the places inbetween. I'd spend more time doing the west coast (of Scotland, as you've done Ireland) and the north coast of Northern Ireland than travelling in discomfort missing all the fun stuff.

MrDisco99

Citylink and Ulsterbus do a combined service with Stena line on that route.  I just thought it was interesting that one ticket gets you on four different vehicles... Citylink from Edinburgh via Glasgow to Cairnryan, Stenaline to Belfast, Ulsterbus to Belfast bus station, and either Ulsterbus or Bus Eireann to Dublin.

But yeah I'll more likely do that as a way to get from one country to the other rather than to check out scenery.

I hate that we didn't spend more time in northern Ireland while we were there, but... only so much time... we did at least take a day trip up to Belfast to look at the murals on our last day before flying out.

Any particular routes in Scotland that shouldn't be missed?

D-Dey65

Quote from: MrDisco99 on November 07, 2014, 04:43:54 PM
US1 to Key West - my favorite drive in the US
I wouldn't mind driving that.

Blue Ridge Pkwy - more great views, would be spectacular in the fall.
I was at least on the Skyline Drive once.

NY Thruway - the whole thing, from the Bronx to Erie via Niagara Falls... surprisingly pretty drive
PA Turnpike - also very pretty, particularly the western half... skipped past Pittsburgh, though... maybe next time
I've been on parts of both, but I'd love to drive either of them in their entirety.

Now here are some others I wish I could do;

The entire Atlantic City Expressway.
The entire Garden State Parkway.
Hutchison River/Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkway.
NY 22 from the Bronx to the Canadian border.
The Adirondack Northway from Albany to the Canadian border.
The entire Bronx River Parkway.
The entire Sprain Brook Parkway
The entire Saw Mill River Parkway.
The entire Taconic Parkway... by myself.
The entire Palisades Interstate Parkway... by myself.

MrDisco99

Some of those parkways are pretty short.  You could knock a few of them out in one day.  I went to a wedding in north Westchester one time and took the whole Saw Mill up and Bronx River back down.

I really like the Saw Mill.  It's long and curvy and a really fun drive, particular on the northern half where there's not as much traffic.  The Bronx is prettier and older and more interesting from a road history perspective, but it gets a lot of traffic which makes it not as much fun to drive.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: MrDisco99 on November 10, 2014, 01:18:53 PM
Some of those parkways are pretty short.  You could knock a few of them out in one day.  I went to a wedding in north Westchester one time and took the whole Saw Mill up and Bronx River back down.

I really like the Saw Mill.  It's long and curvy and a really fun drive, particular on the northern half where there's not as much traffic.  The Bronx is prettier and older and more interesting from a road history perspective, but it gets a lot of traffic which makes it not as much fun to drive.

All of those Westchester parkways minus the Taconic could be done in one afternoon. The Palisades is another hour, depending on where you are when you plan to start it. The Taconic is the only real time-consuming one out of them.  All told, though, this is all easily doable in one day as long as you are planning right.

1995hoo

Another possibility is to combine the Taconic and the Northway in a single day, perhaps en route to Montreal.

The Northway is one of my favorite Interstate segments, especially in winter.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

riiga

Overseas:

• Across the USA, coast to coast
  • US west coast and into Canada (or vice versa)
  • Australia or New Zealand
  • South Africa and neighbouring countries

Europe:

• The E4 from where I live all the way to its northern terminus near the Swedish-Finnish border.
  • Any roadtrip in Norway
  • The German Autobahn
  • The Iceland ring road
  • UK or Ireland just for driving on the left since I probably never will make it to SA, AUS or NZ

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.