390 Family Dollar stores to close, 200 will convert to Dollar Tree

Started by LM117, March 06, 2019, 03:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2019, 09:12:01 AM
"Five Below" ... What do think about that store, if there are any in your area?

Five Below really isn't in the same league as Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, and the like.

The "Dollar"  stores exist in communities of all sizes, but they're especially popular in small towns and rural areas–in some cases, areas that even Walmart thinks are too sparsely populated or downmarket to support one of its stores. Sure, some dollar store customers are middle-class folks looking to save a few bucks or avoid an inconvenient trip to a distant hypermarket, but their primary customers are low-income and fixed-income customers for whom finding rock-bottom prices on small quantities of day-to-day essentials may make the difference between scraping by or going broke. For what it's worth: The President merely proposing to replace cash-based food stamps with physical packages of food was enough to send shares of Dollar Tree and Dollar General tumbling.

Five Below, on the other hand, is more focused on suburban areas and a youthful target customer. The $1-$5 price points are fairly low, but the products tend to be frivolous–hot pink camo iPhone cases, rainbow unicorn throw pillows, floral patterned yoga mats... It's a store where middle class suburban tweens spend their allowance on disposable tech accessories and flimsy toys that they don't really need.

hbelkins

The thing I've noticed about the Dollar General expansion is they're building stores in rural communities some distance from the county seat, even larger towns that may have a Walmart or Kroger. Or they are building near traffic generators, such as large employers. It's something like the convenience store concept, except the prices are cheaper, and not artificially high like you'll find for a bag of chips at a Sheetz or Speedway.

Examples: DG recently opened a store in Wolfe County, near a factory. Granted, it's in a crossroads community that's 12 miles from either Campton or West Liberty, and 20 miles from Salyersville and Jackson, but the prime customer base is people leaving work and needing to stop and get something on the way home. They also opened one a few years ago at the entrance to an industrial park in northern Perry County.

And although most county seats have both a DG and a FD, and some have two of each, DG has been more aggressively expanding. In fact, DG built and opened a new store in my town last year, only about three miles from their existing location.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

golden eagle

Quote from: briantroutman on March 07, 2019, 05:02:03 PM

Five Below really isn't in the same league as Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, and the like.

The "Dollar"  stores exist in communities of all sizes, but they're especially popular in small towns and rural areas–in some cases, areas that even Walmart thinks are too sparsely populated or downmarket to support one of its stores. Sure, some dollar store customers are middle-class folks looking to save a few bucks or avoid an inconvenient trip to a distant hypermarket, but their primary customers are low-income and fixed-income customers for whom finding rock-bottom prices on small quantities of day-to-day essentials may make the difference between scraping by or going broke. For what it's worth: The President merely proposing to replace cash-based food stamps with physical packages of food was enough to send shares of Dollar Tree and Dollar General tumbling.

Dollar General will put a store literally anywhere. There's one in Bentonia, MS,  a town of maybe 500 people about 25 miles north of Jackson.

Has anyone been to a Dollar General Market store? The only difference I can tell is they have a small grocery section to it. There's one in Canton, MS, and it's the only one I've ever seen.

LM117

Quote from: golden eagle on March 16, 2019, 02:52:00 AMHas anyone been to a Dollar General Market store? The only difference I can tell is they have a small grocery section to it. There's one in Canton, MS, and it's the only one I've ever seen.

There's one in my area I go to often. Other than having a grocery section, they have a better product selection since the building is a lot larger than a regular DG. Another big (and most important IMO) difference is that you can actually walk around in there without worrying about crashing into anything. Unlike regular DG's, the aisles are wider and aren't narrow and cluttered. The DG stores that are located in former Walmart Express buildings are the same way. They're basically mini-Markets.

The only drawback with DG Market is that, like regular DG's, they seem to HATE having more than one register open. It's rare when more than one is open, and the Market here has a few. Long lines are just as common. That's one thing I like about Family Dollar: they're willing to open another register if the line backs up. DG won't.

Here's the DG Market in my neck of the woods: https://goo.gl/maps/qPzecFJwLrE2
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Flint1979

Quote from: golden eagle on March 16, 2019, 02:52:00 AM
Quote from: briantroutman on March 07, 2019, 05:02:03 PM

Dollar General will put a store literally anywhere. There's one in Bentonia, MS,  a town of maybe 500 people about 25 miles north of Jackson.

Has anyone been to a Dollar General Market store? The only difference I can tell is they have a small grocery section to it. There's one in Canton, MS, and it's the only one I've ever seen.
I was thinking that the other day. Dollar General's are popping up all over the place in random areas too. It seems like they are going into smaller towns where you'd never think of a Walmart or the like being around.

golden eagle

DG also put a store in a rural area not far from where my mom lives outside of Jackson. The site they built it on used to be a barbecue restaurant in the shape of a teepee.

LM117

Hell, you could stick an outhouse in the middle of an open field and I guarantee a DG will pop up beside it hoping to make money selling toilet paper.

Flint1979

Side by side Family Dollar and Dollar Tree in an old Kroger in Saginaw Michigan

webny99

Quote from: SP Cook on March 07, 2019, 09:10:25 AM
Yeah, Dollar Tree is, well, a junk store.  Everything is one price (one dollar, which means that inflation means the merchandise gets lower in quality every year).  It is just junk.  Leftovers, arts and crafts crap, coloring books, whatever.
There's a place around here (with fewer locations) called "Five Below", where everything is $5 or less, which makes more sense as inflation continues. What do think about that store, if there are any in your area?

There are a few Five Below locations in my area. They were really big when they first opened: they market much more explicitly to young kids and teens than the other stores in this thread. They have less everyday household needs, mostly just toys, candy, games, etc.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2019, 04:23:08 PM
Yeah, Dollar Tree is, well, a junk store.  Everything is one price (one dollar, which means that inflation means the merchandise gets lower in quality every year).  It is just junk.  Leftovers, arts and crafts crap, coloring books, whatever.
There's a place around here (with fewer locations) called "Five Below", where everything is $5 or less, which makes more sense as inflation continues. What do think about that store, if there are any in your area?

There are a few Five Below locations in my area. They were really big when they first opened: they market much more explicitly to young kids and teens than the other stores in this thread. They have less everyday household needs, mostly just toys, candy, games, etc.
I didn't think that Five Below sold the same stuff that Dollar Tree and Family Dollar do.

Flint1979

As far as dollar stores go I think Dollar General is my choice.

webny99

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 16, 2019, 04:35:39 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2019, 04:23:08 PM
I didn't think that Five Below sold the same stuff that Dollar Tree and Family Dollar do.

They sell some stuff similar to Dollar Tree, but are usually smaller, brighter, stores and way more kid-friendly.

webny99

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 07, 2019, 01:11:08 PM
Quote from: txstateends on March 07, 2019, 01:42:56 AM
Quote from: davewiecking on March 06, 2019, 11:19:39 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 06, 2019, 09:26:13 PM
In my town there's a Family Dollar and Dollar Tree right next to each other. Family Dollar opened first, then Dollar Tree opened about a year or two later. Both are in an old Kroger store.
Here's a GSV of it. What's inside the glass in between the stores isn't anything, it's just the old entrance to Kroger when it was open. Kroger relocated in 2008.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.436678,-83.9889251,3a,23.1y,350.27h,88.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s8UJVDt7W1iuDL1RHpAiC7Q!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D8UJVDt7W1iuDL1RHpAiC7Q%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D194.05917%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
What's the shirtless dude next to the maroon Blazer (Tahoe?) in the parking lot up to?
Funny that DT and FD are the only 2 standout tenants (short of calling either one of them "anchors") in that center.  I wonder if either one of them will survive the announced closings.
As for Mr. Shirtless, the SUV's door is open and no one is in the driver's seat, so I would have to guess he's the driver.  Up to?  Getting a shopping list?  Finding a shirt to put on before going in the store?  No telling.  So weird to see anyone in a GSV pic because the Google car usually is so intent on not catching anyone in an act to the point of blurring them.
I believe GSV only blurs people's faces.  Since the guy isn't facing the GSV camera, no blurring was done/needed.  Other GSVs I've viewed have shown people, but not their faces, as well.  The maroon SUV looks to be a 2000-2006 era Tahoe.
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 07, 2019, 07:24:18 AM
What's the shirtless dude next to the maroon Blazer (Tahoe?) in the parking lot up to?
Not sure lol. Knowing this town it could be anything. Possibly a drug deal that stuff goes on around here. I'm not totally sure what he's up to though.
Getting ready for his appearance on Cops by any chance?  :sombrero:

Looks like the trunk is open, too.

Personally, I wouldn't bat an eyelash at seeing a shirtless guy in a plaza - at least not in a small town or city. Maybe I've just spent too much time in the rural rust belt in the summer months, lol.

allniter89

Dollar G
In my town there's a Family Dollar and Dollar Tree right next to each other. Family Dollar opened first, then Dollar Tree opened about a year or two later. Both are in an old Kroger store.

Here's a GSV of it. What's inside the glass in between the stores isn't anything, it's just the old entrance to Kroger when it was open. Kroger relocated in 2008.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.436678,-83.9889251,3a,23.1y,350.27h,88.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s8UJVDt7W1iuDL1RHpAiC7Q!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D8UJVDt7W1iuDL1RHpAiC7Q%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D194.05917%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
Funny that DT and FD are the only 2 standout tenants (short of calling either one of them "anchors") in that center.  I wonder if either one of them will survive the announced closings.

As for Mr. Shirtless, the SUV's door is open and no one is in the driver's seat, so I would have to guess he's the driver.  Up to?  Getting a shopping list?  Finding a shirt to put on before going in the store?  No telling.  So weird to see anyone in a GSV pic because the Google car usually is so intent on not catching anyone in an act to the point of blurring them.
I believe GSV only blurs people's faces.  Since the guy isn't facing the GSV camera, no blurring was done/needed.  Other GSVs I've viewed have shown people, but not their faces, as well.  The maroon SUV looks to be a 2000-2006 era Tahoe.

Not sure lol. Knowing this town it could be anything. Possibly a drug deal that stuff goes on around here. I'm not totally sure what he's up to though.
I thought a requirment for being on Cops is  shirtless or wear a wife beater.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Flint1979

As for Mr. Shirtless, the SUV's door is open and no one is in the driver's seat, so I would have to guess he's the driver.  Up to?  Getting a shopping list?  Finding a shirt to put on before going in the store?
No telling.  So weird to see anyone in a GSV pic because the Google car usually is so intent on not catching anyone in an act to the point of blurring them.

There was an 'activist investor' wanting Family Dollar and Dollar General to merge a while back.  Family Dollar didn't want to hear his grief anymore, I guess, and that's when the FD-Dollar Tree deal was announced.... pissing the 'investor' off to no end, I'm sure.
I can keep you posted on that location since it's only about a mile and a half from my house. At one time the whole building was Kroger but they relocated and combined with another Kroger store further down State Street and Family Dollar opened there and was the only tenant for the longest time. Dollar Tree opened in about 2014-2015.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2019, 04:50:47 PM

Looks like the trunk is open, too.

Personally, I wouldn't bat an eyelash at seeing a shirtless guy in a plaza - at least not in a small town or city. Maybe I've just spent too much time in the rural rust belt in the summer months, lol.
Yeah I doubt anyone even paid him any attention. The street that Family Dollar and Dollar Tree face is a one way street and traffic is generally paying attention to the street. It's eastbound M-58.

LM117

Well, the FD on VA-41 in the Mt. Hermon area near me is finally getting the "Dollar Stops"  and more coolers. The inside is a total mess from all the work being done with hardly any room to walk. I'm not sure why they don't close temporarily until the work is done. Some of the aisles have been rearranged, which is a shitty layout, IMO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.