AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 01:59:01 AM 
Started by ZLoth - Last post by Bruce
And now, a "major" toy shortage will affect holiday shopping .

This is probably a good thing given how many toys end up in landfills. Save that plastic for essential uses.

on: Today at 01:53:55 AM 
Started by Roadgeekteen - Last post by Roadgeekteen
118 = 236/2, from the town of Kittary

on: Today at 01:43:12 AM 
Started by roadman - Last post by SkyPesos
With the Exit Renumbering Project completed, I've summarized my views on both the good and the not so good aspects of the project on the Gribblenation Blog Site:
https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/09/massachusetts-exit-renumbering-good-bad.html
I thought Gribblenation is mainly focused on roads in the Southwestern US (California mostly) from the compilation thread (and all the threads in the Southwest board) for the site. Nice to see it expanding to other parts of the country.

on: Today at 01:35:05 AM 
Started by SEWIGuy - Last post by SkyPesos
I could see the need to retain contiguous US routing when everyone was using paper maps. In the current era of online/onboard navigation, there is no longer any need for that kind of continuity, IMO.
So are you suggesting that each US route should be able to have multiple gaps and segments, like some of Indiana’s state routes?

on: Today at 01:25:43 AM 
Started by achilles765 - Last post by DenverBrian
For me, it was a combination of fascination with maps - especially the gorgeous Gousha maps from Texaco - and carsickness. If I sat in the back, I'd get sick; so I invariably got "shotgun" and by default, became the "navigator" for Mom on trips.

This was the back in the golden age of Interstate construction. I have vivid memories of dropping off I-70 through Kansas and Colorado, and I-90 through South Dakota, to rejoin the highway while all sorts of earth moving equipment lurked a few hundred yards to the north or south, creating new segments. It was always exciting to realize the map in hand was out of date - that dashed section of "under construction" Interstate was actually open for us!

I still hold out hope that maybe someday, we'll build a grand Interstate 66 across America to re-create the Route 66 phenomena. It's actually not that unrealistic: Existing I-66, then across West Virginia on several roads that are being brought to Interstate standards; then Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas (using that abysmally signed US 400 - what in God's name were they thinking?), then Colorado past Pueblo, perhaps threading through Monarch Pass, probably having to drift down to I-40 because of the nearly impossible lands of southern Utah. A pipe dream; but a dream nonetheless.

on: Today at 01:24:40 AM 
Started by NE2 - Last post by TheHighwayMan394

Failure to indicate non-interstate freeways as such; the first offending example that comes to mind in the the official MnDOT map of Minnesota.  I hate that style.

Failure to indicate a non-interstate freeway as a freeway, or as a non-interstate? If it's the former I agree.

The MnDOT map makes no distinction between a 4-ane expressway and a non-interstate freeway.

on: Today at 01:10:56 AM 
Started by SEWIGuy - Last post by DenverBrian
I could see the need to retain contiguous US routing when everyone was using paper maps. In the current era of online/onboard navigation, there is no longer any need for that kind of continuity, IMO.

on: Today at 01:10:36 AM 
Started by index - Last post by Scott5114
In Northeast Illinois,
* if you see someone coming at you - don't move, or he'll crash into you.
* Expect a horn even after a millisecond of delay.
* to get into a lane, take your spot even if you have to cut someone off (seriously - they won't budge)
* You'll likely get the state bird for petty shit.
So everybody in Northeast Illinois drives like Cra_shIt?

Brandon has videos similar to Cra_shIt's, except only the other driver is doing something wrong. (And sometimes, it doesn't directly involve him, such as a car running a red because the light past it turned green — and there's a cop right there.)

I wonder if he's ever recorded Crash_It's driving without realizing it...

on: Today at 12:32:38 AM 
Started by thspfc - Last post by Max Rockatansky
I have a couple hundred highway shields mounted between my garage and back yard.  The aluminum stuff never struck me as heavy but some of the older steel stuff can be.  I want to say my steel US 202 Maine shield weights over ten pounds. 

on: Today at 12:22:16 AM 
Started by thspfc - Last post by paulthemapguy
Have you ever picked up a route shield? They're aluminum and surprisingly heavy. I just mounted three of them on my garage wall this week! I work with the sign crew director at my job and that leads me to look at the stock in the sign shop occasionally.  36x36 signs are a doozy to lift and carry around.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.