News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunlop

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 27, 2021, 07:33:29 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 27, 2021, 07:18:25 PM
What do you expect?  Google has people from probably India editing for them who have 0 knowledge about US highways, and thus stuff like this gets added. :pan:
Nothing unless it's for bypassing the I-40 construction.

A few routes got "Alt I-40"  signs at the start of the current I-40 construction project for routing assurance in the event of major backups.  I know US 70 business has such signs, and I presume I-87/US 64/US 264 got the same signs.  So the techs editing the street view for some of these probably saw the signs and added the labels to the ma-s.

tolbs17

Quote from: jdunlop on October 27, 2021, 07:48:38 PM
What do you expect?  Google has people from probably India editing for them who have 0 knowledge about US highways, and thus stuff like this gets added. :pan:

A few routes got "Alt I-40"  signs at the start of the current I-40 construction project for routing assurance in the event of major backups.  I know US 70 business has such signs, and I presume I-87/US 64/US 264 got the same signs.  So the techs editing the street view for some of these probably saw the signs and added the labels to the ma-s.
I see now, makes a little reason, but it's 30 minutes longer and double the mileage.

ahj2000

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 27, 2021, 08:07:13 PM
Quote from: jdunlop on October 27, 2021, 07:48:38 PM

I see now, makes a little reason, but it's 30 minutes longer and double the mileage.
And some days that may be actually saving time...
Agree it was a little dumb to code it in though. It's not a "real"  road.

LM117

The lane drop on I-40 at the Durham/Orange county line will be changed next week.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-10-28-i-40-durham-15-501-lane-drop.aspx

Also, the Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry route will switch to the winter schedule beginning on November 2.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-10-28-hatteras-ferry-winter-schedules.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

plain

That is the right decision, as I don't see I-40 being 6-laned to I-85 anytime soon.
Newark born, Richmond bred

LM117

Quote from: plain on October 28, 2021, 03:06:48 PM
That is the right decision, as I don't see I-40 being 6-laned to I-85 anytime soon.

The contract for the widening was awarded almost 2 months ago.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-09-01-i-40-widening-orange-county.aspx

tolbs17

It was annoying how it drops to four lanes

snowc

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 28, 2021, 03:11:06 PM
It was annoying how it drops to four lanes
Or like fuquay needing a total diamond makeover.

NOTE: if it says image is being prepared, check back later. the image is just off the press.

plain

Quote from: LM117 on October 28, 2021, 03:09:26 PM

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-09-01-i-40-widening-orange-county.aspx

Yes I saw that. I'm just doubting it will be done in a timely manner given NCDOT's difficulties with certain things lately.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

^ The funding has already been appropriated and a contract has been awarded. The project isn't going to be pushed back further.

snowc

Quote from: plain on October 28, 2021, 03:23:13 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 28, 2021, 03:09:26 PM

Yes I saw that. I'm just doubting it will be done in a timely manner given NCDOT's difficulties with certain things lately.
Two lanes in each isnt enough. NCDOT made a smart move by adding two one additional lane.  :pan: :ded:
EDIT: as @sprjus4 said below, they are only making it 3 lanes, NOT 4!

sprjus4

^ It's only being widened to 6 lanes, not 8 lanes.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 28, 2021, 03:32:21 PM
^ It's only being widened to 6 lanes, not 8 lanes.
if it was being widened to 8 lanes, then it would have to be totally rebuilt.

fillup420

Quote from: LM117 on October 28, 2021, 02:56:18 PM
The lane drop on I-40 at the Durham/Orange county line will be changed next week.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-10-28-i-40-durham-15-501-lane-drop.

I have been saying to myself and girlfriend that this should be the setup every time we drive past it. Im glad they finally listened to me

wdcrft63

That is also the right decision because the left lane drop has caused many accidents.

tolbs17

Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 28, 2021, 08:52:49 PM
That is also the right decision because the left lane drop has caused many accidents.
It's annoying as hell and dangerous.

LM117

As part of the I-440 improvements project, traffic on I-440 East will be shifted to a new bridge over Wade Avenue, beginning early Monday morning.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-10-28-i-440-east-shift-new-bridge-wade-ave.aspx

bob7374

The Salem Parkway project was the Grand Prize winner of the 2021 America's Transportation Awards at the (back to in-person in San Diego) AASHTO Annual Meeting on Thursday:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-10-29-salem-parkway-project-national-top-honors.aspx

Given news from the AASHTO meeting, I checked the agenda to see about whether the Special Committee on US Route Numbering was meeting there to take up recent applications, there was no specific listing for it. The USRN website hasn't been updated since posting results of the Spring Meeting.

ARMOURERERIC

So, I got to encounter the new 321/85 interchange reconfiguration this morning and noted a major issue: 

Southbound on 321, an overhead BGS assembly prompts traffic to NB 85 to use the left lane, shortly before the signal to turn left, the left lane shifts left into a turn pocket and the center lane splits into a second left turn lane and a pull through lane.  Waiting for the signal, I noted on the mast arm an advisory that cars making u turns to 321N were to yield to traffic coming from the 85 SB to 321 NB ramp, the signal only allows 2 lanes of ramp traffic to turn right.  Well, I was behing 8 cars that sat unmoving in the leftmost turn lane for 3 signal cycles because the first 3 cars were making u turns into the Circle K on 321 N.

LM117

A contract to resurface I-95 in Robeson County between I-74 and the SC state line has been awarded. Work will begin by January, and is expected to be finished by spring 2023.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-11-02-i-95-robeson-repaving.aspx

jdunlop

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 01, 2021, 10:09:24 PM
So, I got to encounter the new 321/85 interchange reconfiguration this morning and noted a major issue: 

Southbound on 321, an overhead BGS assembly prompts traffic to NB 85 to use the left lane, shortly before the signal to turn left, the left lane shifts left into a turn pocket and the center lane splits into a second left turn lane and a pull through lane.  Waiting for the signal, I noted on the mast arm an advisory that cars making u turns to 321N were to yield to traffic coming from the 85 SB to 321 NB ramp, the signal only allows 2 lanes of ramp traffic to turn right.  Well, I was behing 8 cars that sat unmoving in the leftmost turn lane for 3 signal cycles because the first 3 cars were making u turns into the Circle K on 321 N.

Thanks for the observation, we'll take a look at it. 

(Our plans never intended for U-turns there; note that a sign restricting them will likely have little effect, other than being "enforced" by drivers behind them.  I think Radio St. is the next opportunity, as there's no turn lanes at the ramp intersection.  This was my concept to start with, so I want it to be as "perfect" as we can get it!)

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: jdunlop on November 03, 2021, 04:21:08 PM

(Our plans never intended for U-turns there; note that a sign restricting them will likely have little effect, other than being "enforced" by drivers behind them.  I think Radio St. is the next opportunity, as there's no turn lanes at the ramp intersection.  This was my concept to start with, so I want it to be as "perfect" as we can get it!)

Well, thank you very much.  I rarely use that intersection, just happened to be covering a shift at out Belmont store, I live near South Mountains Park.

jdunlop

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 03, 2021, 06:28:53 PM
Quote from: jdunlop on November 03, 2021, 04:21:08 PM

Well, thank you very much.  I rarely use that intersection, just happened to be covering a shift at out Belmont store, I live near South Mountains Park.

Checked with the Division Traffic Engineer, he agreed that U-turns shouldn’t be allowed and will take steps to formally ban them.  Once you see the sign change from “U-turns yield to right-turns” to a no U-turn sign, you’ll know the background work has been done.

Thanks again for your comment here.  If you see something like this (or any other concern) use the NCDOT Contact Us comment page (don’t have the link here, please Google it) to send the comment directly.  Can’t always depend on the AARoads boards to get the comment to the right person! :-)

froggie

I imagine a U-turn ban is going to tick off some Circle K users.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.