News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

TBKS1

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 03:27:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2021, 03:21:37 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 04:52:52 AM
These signs don't match. Which sign looks better?

wut
if you know what I'm taking about lol

The arrow on the right side looks to be sharpened a bit more than the arrow on the left side. That's like one of the most subtle differences between two signs I've ever seen, it took me a while to figure out the difference between the two.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

tolbs17

Quote from: TBKS1 on July 15, 2021, 03:50:58 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 03:27:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2021, 03:21:37 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 04:52:52 AM
These signs don't match. Which sign looks better?

wut
if you know what I'm taking about lol

The arrow on the right side looks to be sharpened a bit more than the arrow on the left side. That's like one of the most subtle differences between two signs I've ever seen, it took me a while to figure out the difference between the two.
Here's the current ones we use right now.

Do you like the old or the new sharpened arrow better?

kphoger

I can barely even tell the difference now that I know what it is.  This has reached a whole new level of pedantry, even for this forum.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2021, 05:10:50 PM
I can barely even tell the difference now that I know what it is.  This has reached a whole new level of pedantry, even for this forum.
And this one does not match and I think the sign itself is a little smaller.

wanderer2575

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 05:22:04 PM

And kphoger's comment goes right over your head.  Let me try:  You really need to find something to occupy your time if you're obsessing over minutia like this, especially when motorists will see it for only a few seconds.

tolbs17

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 15, 2021, 05:32:22 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 05:22:04 PM

And kphoger's comment goes right over your head.  Let me try:  You really need to find something to occupy your time if you're obsessing over minutia like this, especially when motorists will see it for only a few seconds.
:bigass:

That's so funny.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Scott5114

tolbs17

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 15, 2021, 05:52:05 PM
This has reached a whole new level of pedantry, even for this forum.

Has it?

At least I can see the difference between those. I still can barely see any difference between the various arrows tolbs has posted ... and there is no way I would ever be able to identify that at speed. I honestly thought he was talking about how the left stop sign was fading at the bottom right.

US 89

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 15, 2021, 06:00:02 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 05:57:33 PM
Like, what kind of smaller arrow does this sign use?

US-64
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WAMCtG5RCghN3hUu6

That's a Type B arrow.
At least it's better than this sign for sure.

Meh. I think it looks fine. You want to see bad looking arrows, head up to Ogden UT where there are a few grossly oversized arrows on I-15/84 south just before 84 splits off.

(Also just noticed that the cardinal directions are lowercased on the second set of signs... clearly whatever contractor made these didn't proofread.)

tolbs17

Quote from: US 89 on July 15, 2021, 06:13:18 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 15, 2021, 06:00:02 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 15, 2021, 05:57:33 PM
Like, what kind of smaller arrow does this sign use?

US-64
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WAMCtG5RCghN3hUu6

That's a Type B arrow.
At least it's better than this sign for sure.

Meh. I think it looks fine. You want to see bad looking arrows, head up to Ogden UT where there are a few grossly oversized arrows on I-15/84 south just before 84 splits off.

(Also just noticed that the cardinal directions are lowercased on the second set of signs... clearly whatever contractor made these didn't proofread.)
sloppy...

Scott5114

Oh, are we complaining about our states' arrow usage now? Let me play!

(this wouldn't be so bad if they didn't do this on every damn sign in the metro)

CoreySamson

Arrows on signs are one of those things that I don't really care about (unless something about it is egregiously wrong, like the first SLC sign US 89 just posted).

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 15, 2021, 06:24:23 PM
Oh, are we complaining about our states' arrow usage now? Let me play!

(this wouldn't be so bad if they didn't do this on every damn sign in the metro)
The only thing I dislike about that sign is the Series F used on the 35 shield. The sign looks great otherwise.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

vdeane

Time to start a petition for a "tolbs17 in one thread" thread?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on July 15, 2021, 07:35:38 PM
Time to start a petition for a "tolbs17 in one thread" thread?
Where do I sign?  His spamming the forum makes it more difficult to navigate and separate the wheat from the chaff.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Has it?

Ah, glad I'm not the only one who noticed those weird Oklahoma arrows. They just look so... off. They make me uncomfortable.  :crazy:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 15, 2021, 11:23:18 PM

Has it?

Ah, glad I'm not the only one who noticed those weird Oklahoma arrows. They just look so... off. They make me uncomfortable.  :crazy:

The blunt arrow isn't as bad as its rarer (but still non-standard) cousin, the sharp arrow. Both of them are slowly losing out to the standard (but incorrectly-used) Type D arrow.

My kingdom for a standard Type A arrow for a change!

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

tolbs17

This arrow is weird looking! And I see this sign all the time.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 16, 2021, 02:31:47 AM
My arrow is bigger than your arrow.

If I'm reading that right, that's 800 mm or about 31 inches. That's not that much bigger than the typical BGS arrow in the US, is it?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.