News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: US 89 on July 20, 2021, 11:19:11 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 19, 2021, 11:30:10 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 19, 2021, 11:13:00 PM
^^ Alabama had the slotted signs in hurricane areas.  I don't know if that sign still exists.
Slotted signs are as far north as Montgomery.

Even further than that - at least one still stands in Birmingham:

I swear some used to be in Texas many years ago.  I remember the first time I saw them on I-10 in Mobile, I wasn't shocked because I had seen that design before. 

DRMan

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 20, 2021, 11:22:51 AM
^^ Alabama had the slotted signs in hurricane areas.  I don't know if that sign still exists.

I swear some used to be in Texas many years ago.  I remember the first time I saw them on I-10 in Mobile, I wasn't shocked because I had seen that design before. 
There was one on I-95 South in Portsmouth NH, approaching Exit 5. Alas, it's long gone.

jakeroot

This sign seems a bit redundant:

https://goo.gl/maps/x9KjgCdvfPrnDBW96

"Left turn must yield" directly adjacent to a flashing yellow arrow signal with "Left turn yield on flashing [yellow arrow]".

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on July 20, 2021, 03:39:22 PM
This sign seems a bit redundant:

https://goo.gl/maps/x9KjgCdvfPrnDBW96

"Left turn must yield" directly adjacent to a flashing yellow arrow signal with "Left turn yield on flashing [yellow arrow]".

Dates back to when there was just a green ball there. Probably just an instance of whoever put together the order to put up the FYA not knowing/forgetting/not caring that there was a sign there, so the install crew never took it down.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

I think it's time for either Caltrans or the MTC to remove the covered sign completely and update the one on the left to have both island communities as the controls.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: jay8g on July 18, 2021, 03:25:34 AM
Talking about arrows, Seattle loves weird arrows. Seriously, those links are just scratching the surface of the weirdness you can find around here. It feels like almost every Seattle guide sign from more than a few years ago has something wrong with its design!

The 4th St S one even covered up what looks like it was the most normal arrow of the bunch.

thenetwork

Quote from: DRMan on July 20, 2021, 12:51:23 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 20, 2021, 11:22:51 AM

There was one on I-95 South in Portsmouth NH, approaching Exit 5. Alas, it's long gone.

All these years I didn't realize that slotted signs were designed more for hurricane-force winds and not just for aesthetics at the time.

BTW, there use to be one in Columbus, OH on the northern stretch of EB I-270 between OH-315 & US-23.

tolbs17

When talking about the arrows again, What makes this sign point the arrow in a different angle which is the old style way?

tolbs17

Are these signs still around? It's been a while since I saw a sign like this.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 11:12:47 PM
When talking about the arrows again, What makes this sign point the arrow in a different angle which is the old style way?

If I remember correctly the rules say that the angle of the arrow is supposed to be roughly the same as the angle the ramp diverges from the road (so if the exit diverges sharply the arrow should be tilted more sharply). But most states don't bother doing this.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Quote from: FrCorySticha on July 15, 2021, 12:12:06 PM
Quote from: mrsman on July 13, 2021, 04:21:14 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 13, 2021, 12:05:08 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51309101725/

I know the ceiling gives no room for a normal sign, but looks cool though.

These are cool.  Signs like this are becoming more popular within tunnels.  I believe similar type of signage exists in the new WA-99 tunnel in Seattle and in I-93 tunnel in Boston.

Yes they do in both cases. If multiple lines are needed, they'll space additional signs about 100 feet apart. Here's a streetview example from Seattle: https://goo.gl/maps/YnZPRZVsKaxKBaJ67

Same situation on the I-5 express lanes in Seattle and the I-90 tunnel leading out of Seattle.

tolbs17

This should have an overhead sign saying "EXIT ONLY". I'm guessing that's the old fashioned way of pointing at the exit lane.

JoePCool14

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 08:22:21 PM
This should have an overhead sign saying "EXIT ONLY". I'm guessing that's the old fashioned way of pointing at the exit lane.

It's not really old fashioned, as much as it's more just an alternative, less ideal way. Right Lane Exit Only is still permitted verbiage in the MUTCD.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

tolbs17

This sign has been like this for a very long time and still HAS NOT been fixed. This looks funny.

jakeroot

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 10:49:10 PM
This sign has been like this for a very long time and still HAS NOT been fixed. This looks funny.

Appears to be some crude attempt to sign the stop line. Odd indeed.

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 22, 2021, 09:13:35 PM

It's not really old fashioned, as much as it's more just an alternative, less ideal way. Right Lane Exit Only is still permitted verbiage in the MUTCD.

tolbs17https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/html_index.htm
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 09:14:56 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 22, 2021, 09:13:35 PM

tolbs17https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/html_index.htm
So they don't have to waste money on a gantry, huh? Also, US-64 in Rocky Mount lacks a lot of those.

And does any state do this like put the hospital sign on the overhead sign? I don't like it, I like if they are to the side.

Big John

^^ That is one of three acceptable keep right sight signs in the current MUTCD.  Thought the wordless pictorial one is most commonly used.

tolbs17

I'm guessing the newer stop signs have a more straight letter S compared to the old ones which look more like a 5.

MASTERNC

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

formulanone

Quote from: plain on July 25, 2021, 11:31:36 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on July 24, 2021, 09:08:23 PM
How about a curve sign that depicts a dog?

A dog named Arrow.

I can't unsee that. :D

Curious font on this Massachusetts Route 96 sign near MA 16:

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: formulanone on July 25, 2021, 11:51:30 AM
I can't unsee that. :D

Curious font on this Massachusetts Route 96 sign near MA 16:

Reminds me of the font found on older signs in Maine.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

thenetwork

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.