News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cleveland Opportunity Corridor

Started by ysuindy, June 02, 2014, 10:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 21, 2019, 08:34:31 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 20, 2019, 10:18:52 AM
322 shouldn't exist west of us 20

And I-74 shouldn't exist south of I-70.
US 24 shouldn't exist south of US 30.
Find something better to complain about.

the hell are you talking about? 74 should connect Cincinnati and Indianapolis. and US 24 is a very important highway south of US 30.  Find better examples and get back to me.

froggie

^ Instead of bantering back and forth, could you please explain why you don't think 322 should go west of 20?

silverback1065

Quote from: froggie on April 23, 2019, 08:45:13 AM
^ Instead of bantering back and forth, could you please explain why you don't think 322 should go west of 20?

It's Redundant

froggie

^ So is having U.S. routes closely paralleling Interstate routes, but I don't recall you complaining about that...

silverback1065

Quote from: froggie on April 26, 2019, 09:50:44 AM
^ So is having U.S. routes closely paralleling Interstate routes, but I don't recall you complaining about that...

false, those serve local traffic. 

seicer

:eyebrow: Going back to the topic:

ODOT will close part of I-490 in Cleveland for 2 years

The easternmost portion of I-490, between I-77 and E. 55th Street, will close May 29 for two years.

Buck87

Quote from: seicer on April 29, 2019, 10:12:30 AM
:eyebrow: Going back to the topic:

ODOT will close part of I-490 in Cleveland for 2 years

The easternmost portion of I-490, between I-77 and E. 55th Street, will close May 29 for two years.

While "part of 490 will close" from the headline is technically true, it's more like "the access ramps to/from E. 55th and I-77/I-490" will close.

Oh, and the comment section has been a fun read on that article.

froggie

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 28, 2019, 07:27:55 PM

Local traffic doesn't necessarily need a U.S. route (or really ANY route) to follow.

seicer

Quote from: froggie on April 29, 2019, 07:16:09 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 28, 2019, 07:27:55 PM

Local traffic doesn't necessarily need a U.S. route (or really ANY route) to follow.

Bingo - in the years I lived in Cleveland and in other cities, you drove on Woodland or Buckeye or Euclid or Chester, not Route 87 or Route 8 or US 20 or US 322. The routes would be infrequently posted anyways, and you'd never use them for directions or for navigation. Heck, most navigation systems just spit out the street names, not route numbers, in the cities.

Henry

I think it's funny that while the Interstate ends in an at-grade intersection with East 55th Street, the replacement boulevard will actually go under East 55th, but at least there will be a connector between the two that will facilitate movement between them.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Buck87

Drove down E. 55th today, which they currently have rerouted in a semicircle pattern going around the east side of the main construction area. If E 55th is going to stay open, I would assume the plan is to dig the trench from where E. 55th used to be towards 490, then build the new E. 55th bridge, then build the trench to the east (destroying the temporary road E. 55th is using now)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Almost one year later...
ODOT was originally going to have I-490/(future) Oh 10 reopened in Spring 2021. Now, that is being pushed back to the end of 2021.
https://www.freshwatercleveland.com/inthenews/Opportunity490Project112320.aspx
QuoteFollowing a review of the design plans, ODOT requested a change to the grade, or slope. where I-490/Opportunity Boulevard passes under E. 55th Street for safety reasons. The design-build team's plans met the minimum standards; however, ODOT preferred a more gradual slope.

This change added approximately six months of work and $4.6 million to the project. Additionally, unforeseen utility relocation delays have had an impact on the project schedule. The design and construction changes, and utility delays will not impact the overall completion of project in summer 2022.

I'm sure there is a press release about this somewhere on ODOT's webpage for the 'Cleveland Opportunity Corridor' but I have yet to find it.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Buck87

Here's a narrated flyover view of the section 3 work from 4 month ago

https://youtu.be/HNpFaH0Lsjs

LM-Q620

The Ghostbuster

The only portion of the Opportunity Corridor that is shown as complete on Google Maps is the segment from E. 93rd St. to the intersection of Quincy Ave. (and even then, only the imprint of the new roadway is shown): https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4917806,-81.6154195,866m/data=!3m1!1e3. Hopefully, both the map and the satellite images will be updated to show the entire corridor.

thenetwork

SkyPesos

Kind of wondering, is there any reason why one side of the Opportunity Corridor is 3 lanes and other side is 2 for a good length?

Buck87

Here's the latest aerial footage update video from ODOT

https://youtu.be/Z-JPNdcQN2Q

VS988

Hot Rod Hootenanny

"New" 3rd party drone video of the Opportunity Corridor construction.

I don't see things changing much between what is shown above with what we'll see come the end of August for the Cleveland meet.

Buck87

Hot Rod Hootenanny

So, Cleveland & ODOT will be doing the "ribbon cutting" on Opportunity Corridor later today...
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/whats-going-on-with/opportunity-corridor-to-open-soon-connecting-i-490-to-east-105th-street

...but they won't be opening it to traffic until a later date (supposedly to be announced at the ribbon cutting)

Henry

I read somewhere that I-490 was once proposed to follow this same corridor and connect back to I-90 at 105th Street. At least there will be an extension of OH 10 along the corridor (and no freeway, either), and I hope ODOT has figured out a routing between the corridor and its current eastern terminus in downtown.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

74/171FAN

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 03, 2021, 01:04:55 AM
So, Cleveland & ODOT will be doing the "ribbon cutting" on Opportunity Corridor later today...
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/whats-going-on-with/opportunity-corridor-to-open-soon-connecting-i-490-to-east-105th-street

...but they won't be opening it to traffic until a later date (supposedly to be announced at the ribbon cutting)

Yeah, I guess you are waiting for that announcement before bothering to post it on the Travel Mapping Forum.  That seems to be the right move here.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

thenetwork

Quote from: Henry on November 03, 2021, 10:37:10 AM
I read somewhere that I-490 was once proposed to follow this same corridor and connect back to I-90 at 105th Street. At least there will be an extension of OH 10 along the corridor (and no freeway, either), and I hope ODOT has figured out a routing between the corridor and its current eastern terminus in downtown.

If you are asking how they will route the SR‐10 extension between Ontario St. and the new corridor, it will be via one of two ways:

1) Right on Ontario St/Orange Avenue to East 9th/Broadway....multiplex with SR-14 along Broadway to I-490...then onto I-490 east toward East 55th st.

2) Again, right on Ontario/Orange toward E.9th/Broadway...however SR-10 would continue along Orange Ave (multiplexing with US-422/SR-8) to East 30th St.  SR-10 would briefly enter I-77 to the I-490 interchange.

My money is via SR-14 / Broadway, since there will be less overhead BGS re-signing along the interstates and it will stay on surface streets until I-490.

BTW, here's a link to an article with a bunch of photos along the new corridor:

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021/11/officials-hold-opportunity-corridor-ribbon-cutting-road-expected-to-open-by-end-of-next-week.html.

SkyPesos

Quote from: thenetwork on November 03, 2021, 07:31:51 PM

If you are asking how they will route the SR‐10 extension between Ontario St. and the new corridor, it will be via one of two ways:

1) Right on Ontario St/Orange Avenue to East 9th/Broadway....multiplex with SR-14 along Broadway to I-490...then onto I-490 east toward East 55th st.

2) Again, right on Ontario/Orange toward E.9th/Broadway...however SR-10 would continue along Orange Ave (multiplexing with US-422/SR-8) to East 30th St.  SR-10 would briefly enter I-77 to the I-490 interchange.

My money is via SR-14 / Broadway, since there will be less overhead BGS re-signing along the interstates and it will stay on surface streets until I-490.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021/11/officials-hold-opportunity-corridor-ribbon-cutting-road-expected-to-open-by-end-of-next-week.html.
Issue is that there aren't ramps from Broadway to/from EB I-490/Opportunity corridor.

I think OH 10 may be multiplexed with I-77.

thenetwork

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 03, 2021, 07:41:26 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on November 03, 2021, 07:31:51 PM

Issue is that there aren't ramps from Broadway to/from EB I-490/Opportunity corridor.

I think OH 10 may be multiplexed with I-77.

Thats what happens when you get old and hasn't really been to Cleveland since I moved away 15 years ago.

I Knew I -490 had a half diamond interchange with Broadway, but I thought it was the other way.

Yes, a short duplex with I-77 between E.30th/Woodland/Orange to I-490 it is! 

BTW, any signs of new BGS along I-77/I-90 with room for, or a greenout for a SR-10 shield yet?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.