AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's your weather currently?  (Read 277032 times)

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 01:30:24 AM
    • Utah Highways
Re: What's your weather currently?
« Reply #3600 on: July 15, 2021, 01:15:43 AM »

Another hot day in Salt Lake today, with a high of 96 (which, believe it or not, is the second-lowest high we've had this month). A few thunderstorms moved through some southern areas of the Wasatch Front today, but southern and eastern Utah got the good stuff today with numerous severe thunderstorm and flash flood warnings being issued throughout the region. The biggest thunderstorms formed in and west of Cedar City late this afternoon, dropping quarter size hail and also featuring some rather strong velocity rotation signatures on radar. They then organized into a squall line that hit St. George with severe winds. Flooding was reported in both cities as well as along some other, more rural highways.

And as if all that wasn't enough, a tornado touched down in Huntington, Emery County today. It was a weak landspout that did little to no damage, but it appears to have been the state's first tornado since May 2018.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 09:37:11 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #3601 on: July 15, 2021, 06:09:53 AM »

I've read that greater heat than one is used to can exacerbate existing underlying conditions to such a point.  It just surprises me that it frequently occurs within the home, rather than out and about in the weather.

It's hotter outside, but it's also hot indoors as well. If you have no AC, and your home was not designed in any way to dissipate heat, it's going to become miserably hot and very nearly, if not absolutely, unlivable indoors. Most people can find ways to rectify the issue (only 500 to 1000 are thought to have perished thus far), but there are others that may not be able to (mobility, most likely, plus underlying conditions). Western WA/OR is also, logically, a frequent move-spot for those who have trouble regulating their body heat, such as those with anhidrosis or chronic dehydration, since it doesn't normally get outrageously hot here; they should be prepared (my father has anhidrosis so we have always had AC growing up), but that's no guarantee, sadly.

My previous house didn't have working central air conditioning, so we had a room air conditioner, which was put in an unused room (most of the outdoor windows didn't open, but that one did), not any of the rooms we used. The days in the 90s were mildly uncomfortable but not enough that you would get sick or die. Once it becomes nighttime, you could go outside and it would be fine. In addition, indoors, the first day was fine; it would only become an issue with two or more days in a row.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒘1⒚14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E); CA133; NY366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr: Click the globe under my avatar

jakeroot

• U/Wash | GIS & Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Arlington, VA | Vancouver, BC
  • Last Login: Today at 02:13:02 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #3602 on: July 15, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »

I've read that greater heat than one is used to can exacerbate existing underlying conditions to such a point.  It just surprises me that it frequently occurs within the home, rather than out and about in the weather.

It's hotter outside, but it's also hot indoors as well. If you have no AC, and your home was not designed in any way to dissipate heat, it's going to become miserably hot and very nearly, if not absolutely, unlivable indoors. Most people can find ways to rectify the issue (only 500 to 1000 are thought to have perished thus far), but there are others that may not be able to (mobility, most likely, plus underlying conditions). Western WA/OR is also, logically, a frequent move-spot for those who have trouble regulating their body heat, such as those with anhidrosis or chronic dehydration, since it doesn't normally get outrageously hot here; they should be prepared (my father has anhidrosis so we have always had AC growing up), but that's no guarantee, sadly.

My previous house didn't have working central air conditioning, so we had a room air conditioner, which was put in an unused room (most of the outdoor windows didn't open, but that one did), not any of the rooms we used. The days in the 90s were mildly uncomfortable but not enough that you would get sick or die. Once it becomes nighttime, you could go outside and it would be fine. In addition, indoors, the first day was fine; it would only become an issue with two or more days in a row.

It was hotter than the 90s by quite a significant amount during our last heat wave, so indoors would have been much hotter than what we are normally used to (Seattle summers usually peak in the upper 90s at most), or for that matter, what most of the country east of the Mississippi would normally be used to.

I'd like to stress that, for the most part, being hot inside is not going to kill regular, active, healthy people. We're talking largely about those with underlying conditions, those of advanced years, maybe those with mobility issues, those who were not properly hydrated, etc. These things are only accelerated by even hotter temperatures, and living situations insufficient for such temperatures. That you even have central air (working or otherwise) already puts you ahead of most PNW homes.
Check out my Flickr  |  Comments which I make here do not reflect positions of the University of Washington ("UW"), anyone employed by UW, nor any other students of UW. All comments are my own, and reflect my own ridiculous opinions.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 01:30:24 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #3603 on: July 15, 2021, 12:25:26 PM »

It was hotter than the 90s by quite a significant amount during our last heat wave, so indoors would have been much hotter than what we are normally used to (Seattle summers usually peak in the upper 90s at most), or for that matter, what most of the country east of the Mississippi would normally be used to.

I'd like to stress that, for the most part, being hot inside is not going to kill regular, active, healthy people. We're talking largely about those with underlying conditions, those of advanced years, maybe those with mobility issues, those who were not properly hydrated, etc. These things are only accelerated by even hotter temperatures, and living situations insufficient for such temperatures. That you even have central air (working or otherwise) already puts you ahead of most PNW homes.

In addition, a huge factor in the deadliness of heat waves is not the daytime high, but the overnight low. Going outside and opening windows at night works well if the air out there is colder than desired room temperature. Taking a quick look at summer temperatures in Lowell (where 1's profile indicates he lives) for the past few years, for the most part even on days with daytime highs well into the 90s, it has cooled off into the mid-60s if not lower - a pattern also typical of much of the PNW, which is why air conditioning is relatively rare in that part of the country. If overnight lows stay in the 70s (i.e. never falling below room temperature) as they did in several areas during the PNW heat wave, no matter what you do your house won't cool all that much at night.

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 02:51:44 AM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #3604 on: July 15, 2021, 01:16:37 PM »

80s and partly cloudy.

Skye

• Last Login: July 22, 2021, 07:01:57 PM
« Reply #3605 on: July 15, 2021, 06:55:23 PM »

Sunny and hot

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 03:15:35 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #3606 on: July 15, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »

Yeah, the nights where it was still 85+ in bedrooms overnight were torture. With the sun still up until 9 pm, there was no escape.

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #3607 on: July 16, 2021, 12:58:59 PM »

Around 90 and partly cloudy

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Wikipedia
« Reply #3608 on: July 16, 2021, 06:09:52 PM »

Mid-60s and cloudy. Like summer ought to be around here.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 02:00:36 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #3609 on: July 17, 2021, 04:47:46 PM »

91° isn't that hot but it's been stupid humid this whole week (which I got to experience first hand yesterday, as I was working at an outdoor job site). It looks like we're due to receive some T-storms in the next few hours, which might cool things off a bit, but probably ratchet the humidity even higher. Sigh.

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #3610 on: July 18, 2021, 11:51:05 AM »

70s with clouds, rain and thunderstorms.

SectorZ

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 03:58:30 PM
« Reply #3611 on: July 18, 2021, 12:08:04 PM »

91° isn't that hot but it's been stupid humid this whole week (which I got to experience first hand yesterday, as I was working at an outdoor job site). It looks like we're due to receive some T-storms in the next few hours, which might cool things off a bit, but probably ratchet the humidity even higher. Sigh.

My weather channel used to look like that 20 years ago, is that what yours still looks like?

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #3612 on: July 19, 2021, 12:26:23 PM »

Around 70 and cloudy

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #3613 on: July 20, 2021, 01:05:43 PM »

80s and partly cloudy

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #3614 on: July 21, 2021, 12:58:58 PM »

Upper 70s with a chance of thunderstorms.

thspfc

• I-180 in Wyoming >>>>> I-70 in Colorado

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 01:05:21 PM
« Reply #3615 on: July 21, 2021, 09:59:56 PM »

Hazy for the 4th straight day. It makes the late afternoon sun very orange.
Donate today to support the construction of I-19 from Ocean City, MD to Portland, OR.

tolbs17

• Last Login: July 29, 2021, 01:09:37 AM
« Reply #3616 on: July 21, 2021, 10:14:49 PM »

79 and clear. Boring and warm outside.

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Wikipedia
« Reply #3617 on: July 22, 2021, 02:50:28 AM »

I'm currently in Eugene, where it's mid-80s and mostly clear, with some clouds burning off later in the day. No smoke at all, despite being fairly close to the Bootleg Fire.

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #3618 on: July 22, 2021, 01:07:22 PM »

Around 80 and sunny

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: Today at 02:03:46 AM
« Reply #3619 on: July 22, 2021, 11:18:51 PM »

Early this week was cool, relatively speaking for this time of year. That all changes starting tomorrow. High temperatures will be in the 90s for at least a week.

Smoke from western fires has been overhead for days now.

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #3620 on: July 23, 2021, 01:03:56 PM »

Around 80 and partly cloudy

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #3621 on: July 24, 2021, 02:02:18 PM »

80 and sunny

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #3622 on: July 25, 2021, 12:35:09 PM »

70s and partly cloudy

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 02:00:36 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #3623 on: July 25, 2021, 05:12:05 PM »

My weather channel used to look like that 20 years ago, is that what yours still looks like?

I wish. I use a WeatherStar 4000 simulator to recreate the look using modern data (thus the lack of the TWC logo in the corner). It's also nice for the purposes of this thread because it neatly collects all of the relevant information in an easy-to-read format. And, I dunno, it just feels more real to me to see it on a WS4000 graphic instead of just saying "it's 93° today."

Speaking of...

Temperatures have been creeping up, but the humidity is staying parked right where it has been, so things are feeling pretty gross around here. We did get an excessive heat advisory yesterday, I think (but I had a friend over for the weekend so I wasn't posting on the forum). Some parts of the state are advancing toward the 100° mark, which the OKC area has yet to reach this year:

kphoger

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 05:01:54 PM
« Reply #3624 on: July 25, 2021, 06:05:10 PM »

Some parts of the state are advancing toward the 100° mark, which the OKC area has yet to reach this year:

Wichita's forecast high for the next two days is 102 and 101.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.