News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Maybe it's just me, but this trail bridge for the Spring to Spring Trail over the CSX Sanford Subdivision seems kind of low.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.9430536,-81.3319253,3a,75y,230.45h,108.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snXKxrF9DsmKOyu4-Gl4eJw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I really hope I'm wrong on this.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 05, 2021, 09:55:03 AM
Maybe it's just me, but this trail bridge for the Spring to Spring Trail over the CSX Sanford Subdivision seems kind of low.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.9430536,-81.3319253,3a,75y,230.45h,108.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snXKxrF9DsmKOyu4-Gl4eJw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I really hope I'm wrong on this.

Your eyesight appears to be correct.  CSXT and most other Class 1 railroads require a 21-1/2 foot overhead clearance, and this bridge doesn't appear to meet those requirements.  However, most of the trackage south of Deland was purchased by FDOT and is now owned by SunRail (Central Florida Rail Corridor).  We typically use a 17-1/2 foot clearance for commuter rail and other forms of rail transit.  This would limit CSX trains to a lower limit for overheight trains, but there's a good chance that the SunRail stations have similar clearances.  That shouldn't be a problem.  High-roof boxcars are officially 13 feet, so there still should be plenty of room. 

D-Dey65

Yeah, but Auto Train uses that line too, and aren't those autorack cars like 20'2"? And SunRail uses bi-level coaches that are 15'11", so I guess if this bridge is only 17.5 feet it's not so bad for them.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 05, 2021, 10:55:12 AM
Yeah, but Auto Train uses that line too, and aren't those autorack cars like 20'2"? And SunRail uses bi-level coaches that are 15'11", so I guess if this bridge is only 17.5 feet it's not so bad for them.

Response posted in the [Railroad] thread:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29673.0

Avalanchez71

I saw that FL has Sun Pass transponders on sale at CVS in Tennessee.  What is the footprint on these things being sold?  They had them displayed next to the sunglass display.  I wouldn't use one since I shunpike anyway in Florida.

VTGoose

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 06, 2021, 07:21:58 AM
I saw that FL has Sun Pass transponders on sale at CVS in Tennessee.  What is the footprint on these things being sold?  They had them displayed next to the sunglass display.  I wouldn't use one since I shunpike anyway in Florida.

An enticement for the Florida/Georgia drug runners?

Middle son is a pharmacist with CVS who at one time worked at the stores in Clifton Forge and Covington, Va., right off I-64. He would get random people from out-of-state trying to get oxycodone and other painkiller prescriptions filled (until word got out that he wouldn't play that game). He found out from contacts in the police department that people would load up a van in Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, drive them to Florida or Georgia, and have them make the rounds of the strip-mall "pain clinics" to gather as many painkiller prescriptions as they could. They would stop at pharmacies on the trip back to get the prescriptions filled so they would have a vanload of pills to peddle when they got back home.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Avalanchez71

Quote from: VTGoose on July 06, 2021, 09:15:36 AM

An enticement for the Florida/Georgia drug runners?

Middle son is a pharmacist with CVS who at one time worked at the stores in Clifton Forge and Covington, Va., right off I-64. He would get random people from out-of-state trying to get oxycodone and other painkiller prescriptions filled (until word got out that he wouldn't play that game). He found out from contacts in the police department that people would load up a van in Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, drive them to Florida or Georgia, and have them make the rounds of the strip-mall "pain clinics" to gather as many painkiller prescriptions as they could. They would stop at pharmacies on the trip back to get the prescriptions filled so they would have a vanload of pills to peddle when they got back home.
+
...but but I have a valid prescription.   LOL

DeaconG

CVS has been selling SunPass transponders since the mid-2000's, that's where I got my original one. They also sold SunPass cards that would allow you to recharge your account at any CVS; some clerks would know how to do it while others didn't.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

D-Dey65

Some of you probably know that a few of the rest areas along I-75 have been under construction.
https://www.fdot.gov/maintenance/rest-area-app/rest-areas-i-75
And sadly the mid-century modern features of the southbound Sumter County Rest Area are gone. I'm going to miss that, but at least their memory will survive in pictures.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Interstate_75_rest_area_50192,_Florida

kevinb1994

Just saw a commercial for EZ-Pass on CNN. It's about SunPass at the same time.

I should note though that I got the E-Pass Xtra before this new change, which doesn't affect me,

Funny thing about CNN being on channel 202 (I have AT&T) is that I live near SR 202, which was once a toll road and will act as a connector between the brand-new 295 HOT lanes and those under consideration for I-95 north of 202. Even funnier is that a local cars and coffee thing at the Avenues Mall was merged with that hosted at the Perimeter Mall. Now both are hosted by NBC Sports. And Jay Leno was scheduled to appear here this month.

Alex

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 06, 2021, 11:57:57 PM
Spent some time out on Siesta Key this past week, I'm to understand that FL 72 and FL 758 were recently truncated to US 41.  That said I observed no changes in the field signage on both highways:

After you mentioned that both were still signed, headed down there to photograph them as well. Then ended up taking SR 758 east all the way to I-75. Was surprised to discover that there are zero reassurance markers posted along Bee Ridge Road eastbound.

ukfan758

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2021/07/21/construction-finally-begins-to-ease-championsgate-congestion

Desperately needed but any improvements to traffic flow on the ramps especially probably won't be seen until the rest of the I-4 Beyond the Ultimate work is finished.

Alex

Quote from: ukfan758 on July 24, 2021, 12:25:59 PM
https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2021/07/21/construction-finally-begins-to-ease-championsgate-congestion

Desperately needed but any improvements to traffic flow on the ramps especially probably won't be seen until the rest of the I-4 Beyond the Ultimate work is finished.

The DDI is just a band aid improvement. The proximity to the exchange with the south end of SR 429 became a problem with the ridiculous amount of growth coupled without any capacity improvements. It shows when traffic on I-4 can be congested at 9 PM on a Saturday. Any gains that may be made will be lost as the whole east side of I-4 from CR 532 to Celebration is filling in with sprawl at a rapid pace. And all of that new development will feed into the same congested interchange across from Championsgate. With no new roads built to provide an alternate, the only thing people can do is either adjust their schedule to be through there very early in the morning or later at night, or to just be mentally prepared to trudge through the traffic congestion.

NJRoadfan

As I posted earlier, the entire NE Polk County area suffers from an inadequate roadway network. I-4 access is forced to use CR-532 and N-S traffic between Disney/US-192 and CR-532 and south is all forced onto Lake Wilson Rd. (southbound traffic is so bad, some guy sets up camp and sells refreshments in the afternoon!) or I-4. Otherwise you have to go out of your way via congested US-17/92 or US-27.

Logically, extending World Dr. southwards to Poinciana Parkway would help, but that'll never happen due to environmental impacts. Some of the CFX planning docs have a possible Poinciana Parkway extension along CR-532 to that bastard interchange!

btl1016

Quote from: Alex on July 24, 2021, 03:49:42 PM
Quote from: ukfan758 on July 24, 2021, 12:25:59 PM

The DDI is just a band aid improvement. The proximity to the exchange with the south end of SR 429 became a problem with the ridiculous amount of growth coupled without any capacity improvements. It shows when traffic on I-4 can be congested at 9 PM on a Saturday. Any gains that may be made will be lost as the whole east side of I-4 from CR 532 to Celebration is filling in with sprawl at a rapid pace. And all of that new development will feed into the same congested interchange across from Championsgate. With no new roads built to provide an alternate, the only thing people can do is either adjust their schedule to be through there very early in the morning or later at night, or to just be mentally prepared to trudge through the traffic congestion.

The main culprit of the horrific backups near this area aren't due to Exit 58/CR-532 but the merge from the on-ramp at World Drive/SR-417 onto WB I-4. The frontage road ramp system quickly merges 2 lanes of the 417 and the single ramp from World Drive into a single lane on-ramp that dumps all the traffic into the far right lane of the WB I-4 mainline with no merging lane at all. For a road that was just re-constructed and widened about 15 years ago, I have no idea why more merging room wasn't given for this on-ramp or a auxiliary lane that goes straight to Exit 60/SR-429 wasn't constructed.

roadman65

Maybe ramp meters should be installed at the 417 and World Drive merge.  Unfortunately FDOT doesn't have that in their vocabulary.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on August 02, 2021, 03:27:07 PM
Maybe ramp meters should be installed at the 417 and World Drive merge.  Unfortunately FDOT doesn't have that in their vocabulary.
http://www.fdot.gov/traffic/Ramp-Signaling
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

Quote from: NE2 on August 02, 2021, 04:00:14 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 02, 2021, 03:27:07 PM
http://www.fdot.gov/traffic/Ramp-Signaling
And ramp meter signals have been added for the I-275 Bus on Shoulder (BOS) pilot project in St. Petersburg, so that will be another instance besides the ones in Miami.

roadman65

I see AASHTO disapproves US 301 Bypass in Baldwin.

They want it as US 301 Alternate.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2021, 11:59:47 AM
I see AASHTO disapproves US 301 Bypass in Baldwin.

They want it as US 301 Alternate.
Too bad. The current sign still calls it a bypass.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2915984,-81.9829625,3a,75y,359.63h,89.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdijbBn64-tFjntL203Xbxw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I don't know why they just wont make that the US 301 main line, and redesignate the current US 301 into US 301 Business.

I also don't see why FDOT didn't add an interchange at US 90.

RoadPelican

And if your traveling south to north on the Baldwin Bypass, the Speed Limit starts at 40 MPH, before getting up to 60 MPH less than a mile later.  Can you say "Speed Trap?"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RoadPelican on August 12, 2021, 12:34:11 PM
And if your traveling south to north on the Baldwin Bypass, the Speed Limit starts at 40 MPH, before getting up to 60 MPH less than a mile later.  Can you say "Speed Trap?"

Wouldn't be Baldwin otherwise.

roadman65

Baldwin patrolled by Jacksonville City Police too.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Okay, new item;

I'm currently working on a history segment for the Wikipedia article on Florida State Road 546. Who has credible info?

roadman65

https://floridasturnpike.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/FACT-SHEET-Polk-Parkway-Widening__MP-18_22.pdf

The Auburndale section of State Road 570 is finally being widened from its two lane super two to a fully divided freeway.   In addition a new interchange at Braddock Road is being constructed south of the existing Polk East Plaza.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.