News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 12 Baraboo Bypass

Started by US 12 fan, June 23, 2017, 11:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

I wouldn't want to see 65 between Middleton and Sauk City without more access control.
It would be very nice to get the ball rolling on an interchange at CTH K.  Way too much traffic for just a traffic signal.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

GeekJedi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 27, 2017, 05:15:08 PM
I wouldn't what to see 65 between Middleton and Sauk City without more access control.
It would be very nice to get the ball rolling on an interchange at CTH K.  Way too much traffic for just a traffic signal.

I dunno - there's actually more cross traffic on 151, and that's posted at 65.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

dvferyance

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 27, 2017, 05:15:08 PM
I wouldn't what to see 65 between Middleton and Sauk City without more access control.
I agree but I was there today and noticed they just replaced the traffic lights with vertical monotubes. So I doubt any interchange is happening there for awhile. Aside form that I think Hwy 12 is fine the way it is. I would like to see another lane extended on the beltline from Gammon to University. That is probably US 12's greatest need right now.

midwesternroadguy

Back to the topic of a Sauk City bypass, with the opening of the new Kwik Trip at the NE corner of County Trunk PF and US 12, they didn’t leave much room to accommodate a potential diamond interchange.  So now I question if the bypass is intended to be limited access.  Granted, the store is outside of Prairie du Sac’s corporate limits, and the township may not have been adhering to municipal planning efforts. 

Like many of us, I am not a big fan of stoplights on bypasses or rural highways. I hate to see that mistake repeated here. 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on March 14, 2020, 06:28:04 PM
Back to the topic of a Sauk City bypass, with the opening of the new Kwik Trip at the NE corner of County Trunk PF and US 12, they didn't leave much room to accommodate a potential diamond interchange.  So now I question if the bypass is intended to be limited access.  Granted, the store is outside of Prairie du Sac's corporate limits, and the township may not have been adhering to municipal planning efforts. 

Like many of us, I am not a big fan of stoplights on bypasses or rural highways. I hate to see that mistake repeated here. 

I'm pretty sure Prairie du Sac annexed that land and is providing Kwik Trip with water.  I doubt Kwik Trip would put a car wash somewhere without a municial water service.

thspfc

Back to the topic of a Sauk City bypass, with the opening of the new Kwik Trip at the NE corner of County Trunk PF and US 12, they didn't leave much room to accommodate a potential diamond interchange.  So now I question if the bypass is intended to be limited access.  Granted, the store is outside of Prairie du Sac's corporate limits, and the township may not have been adhering to municipal planning efforts. 

My guess is that the eventual bypass will be an entirely new highway, off to the west of current US-12. Current 12 will turn into Business 12.

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 15, 2020, 08:30:56 AM

I'm pretty sure Prairie du Sac annexed that land and is providing Kwik Trip with water.  I doubt Kwik Trip would put a car wash somewhere without a municial water service.

I would agree, but my only source of recent mapping was the 2020 WisDOT County map which showed that site as not being annexed. But then WisDOT isn’t the be-all-and-end-all of annexation info:  while the recent incorporations of Raymond and Yorkville are depicted in Racine County, Somers in Kenosha County is still shown as an unincorporated town even though it incorporated several years ago. 

mgk920

From the Village of Prairie du Sac's website, the most recent map that I could find, dated 2018-11-22, does show the land in both east quadrants of the US 12/County 'PP' intersection as being in the Village.

I also agree, when the time comes to build the long-planned US 12 Sauk Prairie bypass freeway (its planning 'embargo' at WisDOT should be about over by now, BTW), it will all be on a new ROW.  I did see an official map showing its exact proposed routing about 20 or so years ago, but I have no idea, offhand, of where that information is now.

Mike

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

triplemultiplex

Speaking of Sauk Prairie, I've occasionally mused that as a good name for a merged Sauk City and Prairie du Sac.  It's already the name for the state wildlife area born out of the vestiges of the Badger Ammunition Depot.  So the name is already in use in the area.  And those two small towns seem like they would benefit from joining forces as an up and coming Madison exurb.  As US 12 gets improved, they have easy access to Madison's growing west side, plus they can exploit their position outside of Dane County to lure all those tax dodgers who don't want to pay their fair share to society, but still be near a cool place with a lot of hip stuff going on.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 20, 2020, 09:57:32 PM
Speaking of Sauk Prairie, I've occasionally mused that as a good name for a merged Sauk City and Prairie du Sac.  It's already the name for the state wildlife area born out of the vestiges of the Badger Ammunition Depot.  So the name is already in use in the area.  And those two small towns seem like they would benefit from joining forces as an up and coming Madison exurb.  As US 12 gets improved, they have easy access to Madison's growing west side, plus they can exploit their position outside of Dane County to lure all those tax dodgers who don't want to pay their fair share to society, but still be near a cool place with a lot of hip stuff going on.

When the two tried to merge about 20 or so years ago, the name of the resulting new muni was to be 'City of Sauk Prairie'.  At referendum, it passed in Sauk City but failed in Prairie du Sac.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.