News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Foreign cars spotted in USA/Canada

Started by jakeroot, July 05, 2017, 01:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55

Saw an Isuzu with Aguascalientes plates back when I visited NM two years ago. Other than that the next closest thing I've seen is a Manitoba plate.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

formulanone

I've spotted a few JDM-spec GT-Rs over the years; here's an R32 outside of Charlotte:

I have a photo of an R33 which I spotted outside Wetupka, Alabama but haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

kphoger

Quote from: I-55 on September 14, 2020, 02:18:22 PM
Saw an Isuzu with Aguascalientes plates back when I visited NM two years ago. Other than that the next closest thing I've seen is a Manitoba plate.

This thread isn't about license plates.  It's about vehicle models.

The Renault Sandero wasn't mentioned because it had Mexican plates, but rather because it isn't sold in the US or Canada.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NJRoadfan

I've spotted a few illegal JDM imports here in NJ over the years. Usually the typical infamous not 25 year old Skylines. The weirdest one by far was a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R hatchback.

BTW, importing a car that isn't 25 years old into the USA is very difficult and they will crush your car into a cube and make your life miserable if you attempt to bypass the official system of having a registered importer modify the car for US safety and emissions standards.

jakeroot

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 21, 2020, 08:24:50 PM
BTW, importing a car that isn't 25 years old into the USA is very difficult and they will crush your car into a cube and make your life miserable if you attempt to bypass the official system of having a registered importer modify the car for US safety and emissions standards.

Is that even technically feasible? Last I checked, the only way to import a car less than 25 years old is either for show and display (rare option), or for temporary usage (which should require foreign registration). Modifying the car for US safety and emissions standards requires, at the very least, crash-testing the vehicle at extreme expense, and then I don't even know how many other modifications. It has been done (Skyline GT-R at some point?) but is normally prohibitively expensive and far beyond what most people would ever want to do.

Takumi

Quote from: jakeroot on September 21, 2020, 08:39:54 PM

Is that even technically feasible? Last I checked, the only way to import a car less than 25 years old is either for show and display (rare option), or for temporary usage (which should require foreign registration). Modifying the car for US safety and emissions standards requires, at the very least, crash-testing the vehicle at extreme expense, and then I don't even know how many other modifications. It has been done (Skyline GT-R at some point?) but is normally prohibitively expensive and far beyond what most people would ever want to do.
It's been done with the Skyline and a few other cars (Paul Walker bought an Audi RS6 Avant in Japan and had it modified to US standards, as the regular RS6 was sold in the US for one year). However, the less than legal ways involve knowing someone in Florida (where titling/registration laws are lax) who knows someone in the Bahamas (where they drive on the left so JDM imports aren't exactly unheard of).
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: Takumi on September 21, 2020, 09:41:08 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 21, 2020, 08:39:54 PM

It's been done with the Skyline and a few other cars (Paul Walker bought an Audi RS6 Avant in Japan and had it modified to US standards, as the regular RS6 was sold in the US for one year). However, the less than legal ways involve knowing someone in Florida (where titling/registration laws are lax) who knows someone in the Bahamas (where they drive on the left so JDM imports aren't exactly unheard of).

I find it interesting that Walker simply registered the car in Arizona to avoid having issues with modifying the car. Gotta love how some states just don't give a damn. I tried to find an update on that RS6 but cannot find anything within the last five years. I sure hope CBP didn't find out about it, since the few photos online show a definitely-not-modified RS6 Avant.

NJRoadfan

The 2003 RS6 Avant is on the official list as a registered importer petitioned and got the modified vehicle approved: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2006/04/25/E6-6135/decision-that-nonconforming-2003-audi-rs6-and-rs6-avant-passenger-cars-are-eligible-for-importation

Whole list is here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/elig120115.pdf

Everything you wanted to know about imports here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle

Getting a car imported like the RS6 Avant, that already had a conforming US model (in this case the A6 Avant for safety and RS6 sedan for engine emissions), is considered relatively easy compared to something like a Nissan Skyline, which had no in-market equivalent.

jakeroot

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 02, 2020, 10:56:05 AM
Whole list is here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/elig120115.pdf

I've seen that list before, but wasn't sure what to make of it. At least for models that were also concurrently sold here (the vast majority of the vehicles listed).

For example, if I want to important a German-spec BMW X5 built between 01 Jan 2003 and 31 Dec 2004, I can do that? No questions asked?

Takumi

Quote from: jakeroot on October 02, 2020, 02:17:11 PM

I've seen that list before, but wasn't sure what to make of it. At least for models that were also concurrently sold here (the vast majority of the vehicles listed).

For example, if I want to important a German-spec BMW X5 built between 01 Jan 2003 and 31 Dec 2004, I can do that? No questions asked?
Short answer, no. You’d have to go through the same hoops that the RS6 importers did: get the particular vehicle certified for US safety and emissions standards. Most of these changes are minor, but not really worth the effort for something that was sold here in decent numbers. I see some oddballs in the list that were sold here, like the 2007 Dodge Durango, and various Hondas such as Accords*. I have to assume that’s to have Canadian or other North American market examples able to be brought over the border legally.

*the notable exception is the RHD 1994-97 Accord listed within. Those were actually built in Ohio and exported to Japan!

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: Takumi on October 02, 2020, 02:32:30 PM

Short answer, no. You'd have to go through the same hoops that the RS6 importers did: get the particular vehicle certified for US safety and emissions standards. Most of these changes are minor, but not really worth the effort for something that was sold here in decent numbers. I see some oddballs in the list that were sold here, like the 2007 Dodge Durango, and various Hondas such as Accords*. I have to assume that's to have Canadian or other North American market examples able to be brought over the border legally.

*the notable exception is the RHD 1994-97 Accord listed within. Those were actually built in Ohio and exported to Japan!

So what exactly is the purpose of that list, if the process for import is still convoluted and potentially expensive and time-consuming? Is the list basically just the vehicles you can attempt to important, and those not on the list will never even be considered, even if it could be modified for safety and emission standards? NHTSA sure is weird.

For example: the E53 X5 and the RS6 Avant are both on there. Great. But the Citroen C4 Cactus is not. So can I never even attempt to import a C4 Cactus? I was under the impression I could important any vehicle I wanted, assuming that I could afford to crash test it and modify the engine to meet US emission standards.

Takumi

Quote from: jakeroot on October 02, 2020, 05:40:18 PM
Quote from: Takumi on October 02, 2020, 02:32:30 PM

Short answer, no. You’d have to go through the same hoops that the RS6 importers did: get the particular vehicle certified for US safety and emissions standards. Most of these changes are minor, but not really worth the effort for something that was sold here in decent numbers. I see some oddballs in the list that were sold here, like the 2007 Dodge Durango, and various Hondas such as Accords*. I have to assume that’s to have Canadian or other North American market examples able to be brought over the border legally.

So what exactly is the purpose of that list, if the process for import is still convoluted and potentially expensive and time-consuming? Is the list basically just the vehicles you can attempt to important, and those not on the list will never even be considered, even if it could be modified for safety and emission standards? NHTSA sure is weird.

For example: the E53 X5 and the RS6 Avant are both on there. Great. But the Citroen C4 Cactus is not. So can I never even attempt to import a C4 Cactus? I was under the impression I could important any vehicle I wanted, assuming that I could afford to crash test it and modify the engine to meet US emission standards.
The vehicles on the list have already had all that legwork done; they’ve been approved to be importable, provided they’re modified to meet US standards. If you want to import a Citroen C4 Cactus without waiting 25 years, you’d have to submit evidence that it can be modified to fit US standards, and then have a government-approved company actually do that. It would then be added to a revision of that list.

That said, many of the vehicles on that list are now old enough to be imported without having to modify them. Once a vehicle hits 25 years old, it’s allowed to be imported as is, hence the 90s JDM boom going on right now.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Oooh, a Citroen XM is available to import. Get that Estate model, so people don't think you just have a quirky Saturn SL1.

Takumi

Quote from: formulanone on October 02, 2020, 08:21:36 PM
Oooh, a Citroen XM is available to import. Get that Estate model, so people don't think you just have a quirky Saturn SL1.
I find it amusing that Citroen still sold the 2CV, a car that was designed in the 1930s, when the XM came out.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: formulanone on October 02, 2020, 08:21:36 PM

The XM along with the XM Break were imported to the US by a small outfit called CX-Auto. Citroen was very proud of the XM's headlights. The lenses were precision designed by computer for maximum output. CX Auto needed FMVSS 108 compliant headlights to certify the car in the US...... so they stuck in headlights from a Pontiac Grand Prix, which mostly fit the frontend of the XM!

It wasn't a hot seller though, since it was very expensive. CXAuto had to buy the cars retail in Europe and ship them over. Citroen wanted nothing to do with CXAuto's attempt to import their cars into the US and did everything they could to make things miserable.

Takumi

Nowadays you could just buy one and bring it over as is. Well, provided you can find one that's still running.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TravelingBethelite

Headed up I-45 on Tuesday night, I saw an Audi (not sure what model, think it was a coupe) with German plates - no second American plate - come by me pretty fast somewhere between Corsicana and Ennis.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

kphoger

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on November 26, 2020, 11:36:39 PM
not sure what model

So you're not sure it qualifies for this thread?

↓  OP  ↓

Quote from: jakeroot on July 05, 2017, 01:47:29 AM
Have you ever seen a vehicle that was never sold in the US or Canada, but ...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2020, 12:58:24 PM
not sure what model

↓  OP  ↓

Yes, granted I know very little about the infinite idiosyncrasies of the global automotive economy. Not sure where this would be more appropriate...

kphoger

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on November 27, 2020, 04:26:34 PM

not sure what model

↓  OP  ↓

Yes, granted I know very little about the infinite idiosyncrasies of the global automotive economy. Not sure where this would be more appropriate...

I don't know that there's a good old "license plate spotting" thread on the forum yet.  There are a few similar ones (the closest one I know of being Good roads for license plate spotting), but there might not be a thread yet for people to just post their best finds.

Question about your find:  did the plate have a blue "D" band on the right side, or did it have a red band with date stamp on the right side?  The former is a regular German license plate, but the latter is an export plate–of the type my son spotted here in Wichita a year or two ago.
Male pronouns, please.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2020, 04:33:56 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on November 27, 2020, 04:26:34 PM

not sure what model

↓  OP  ↓

I don't know that there's a good old "license plate spotting" thread on the forum yet.  There are a few similar ones (the closest one I know of being Good roads for license plate spotting), but there might not be a thread yet for people to just post their best finds.

Question about your find:  did the plate have a blue "D" band on the right side, or did it have a red band with date stamp on the right side?  The former is a regular German license plate, but the latter is an export plate–of the type my son spotted here in Wichita a year or two ago.

It was the regular German license plate, with blue band and "D".

formulanone

Quote from: formulanone on September 14, 2020, 02:28:07 PMI have a photo of an R33 which I spotted outside Wetumpka, Alabama but haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

Here it is; I think it's a rare spot in the suburbs of Montgomery, Alabama:

Takumi

Quote from: formulanone on November 27, 2020, 06:48:44 PM
Quote from: formulanone on September 14, 2020, 02:28:07 PMI have a photo of an R33 which I spotted outside Wetumpka, Alabama but haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

Here it is; I think it's a rare spot in the suburbs of Montgomery, Alabama:

Now that's an oddball. From the one angle it almost looks like it's an R33 front clip put on an R32, something I've seen before with the next-gen R34. Also odd that it has a Euro plate.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: Takumi on November 27, 2020, 09:06:34 PM
Now that's an oddball. From the one angle it almost looks like it's an R33 front clip put on an R32, something I've seen before with the next-gen R34. Also odd that it has a Euro plate.

As far as the plate, it's the original number plate from its registration in the UK. First registered in the UK in January 1995, according to the DVLA. You can look up the plate here.

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on November 30, 2020, 11:59:46 PM
Quote from: Takumi on November 27, 2020, 09:06:34 PM

As far as the plate, it's the original number plate from its registration in the UK. First registered in the UK in January 1995, according to the DVLA. You can look up the plate here.

Closest guess would be someone visiting and training at nearby Maxwell Air Force Base...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.