News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2018 Road Meets

Started by Brandon, September 21, 2017, 03:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 18, 2017, 04:26:03 AM
gives me a bit of motivation to complete the interstates of CO and NM (only I-25 remains in both)

Reality: Depends on work demand and house projects.

Then turn it into a good road trip!
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Max Rockatansky

I'd probably interested in the something in New Mexico since I'm planning on doing something Route 66 road trip related in 2019 anyways. 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Other 2018 road meets that are scheduled, with or without you (or us)

Lincoln Highway Association Annual Meeting - Iselin, New Jersey (June 20-24)
http://www.paft-nj.org/WEB_PAGE_LHA_FILES/LHA_MARKETING_PPT/170706_LHA_2018_ANNUAL_MTG_MARKETING_PRESENTATION.pdf

Jefferson Highway Association Annual Meeting - St. Joseph, Missouri (April 26-28)
http://www.jeffersonhighway.org/

Preserving the Historic Road Conference - Fort Collins, Colorado (Sept. 20-23)
http://www.historicroads.org/

Roadmap Collectors Association - Their yearly expo & swapmeet will occur in Hershey, Pennsylvania at the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum http://www.aacamuseum.org/ on September 21 & 22
https://roadmaps.org/
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 20, 2017, 09:44:20 PM
Other 2018 road meets that are scheduled, with or without you (or us)

Lincoln Highway Association Annual Meeting - Iselin, New Jersey (June 20-24)
http://www.paft-nj.org/WEB_PAGE_LHA_FILES/LHA_MARKETING_PPT/170706_LHA_2018_ANNUAL_MTG_MARKETING_PRESENTATION.pdf

Jefferson Highway Association Annual Meeting - St. Joseph, Missouri (April 26-28)
http://www.jeffersonhighway.org/

Preserving the Historic Road Conference - Fort Collins, Colorado (Sept. 20-23)
http://www.historicroads.org/

Roadmap Collectors Association - Their yearly expo & swapmeet will occur in Hershey, Pennsylvania at the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum http://www.aacamuseum.org/ on September 21 & 22
https://roadmaps.org/

2018 International Route 66 Festival JULY 12-15, 2018
https://www.facebook.com/Shamrock-2018-Route-66-Festival-1155787707848348/
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

Add comprehensive list to OP.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cl94

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 22, 2017, 04:07:14 PM

Louisiana (Shreveport) is also confirmed for March 17th.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

signalman

Quote from: cl94 on December 22, 2017, 04:11:12 PM

Sweet!  I was waiting for a confirmation from the organizer.  I really want to attend this and incorporate it into a much larger vacation/road trip that I've been planning.

US71

I should be there.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

Updated - with link to post.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

MNHighwayMan

Since you're updating the OP, Scott, it's been mentioned up thread that the NE Minnesota meet isn't happening anymore. :-(

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 23, 2017, 11:44:16 AM
Since you're updating the OP, Scott, it's been mentioned up thread that the NE Minnesota meet isn't happening anymore. :-(

Has there ever been a Twin Cities meet? and when?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2017, 04:53:35 PMHas there ever been a Twin Cities meet? and when?

Yup.  Last summer.  I almost went, but ended up saving the itinerary for a future self-guided tour.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 23, 2017, 05:08:40 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2017, 04:53:35 PMHas there ever been a Twin Cities meet? and when?

Yup.  Last summer.  I almost went, but ended up saving the itinerary for a future self-guided tour.

Hmmm, I wonder if that was during my "away time."  I see the thread now, but I never posted in it and don't recall seeing it before.  That's a shame.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SSOWorld

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 23, 2017, 11:44:16 AM
What NE MN Meet? ;)

Translation: Removed :P
Scott O.

Raise your what?

A.J. Bertin

Thanks for updating the original post, Scott. I noticed that Omaha/Council Bluffs was added to the list. Is that far enough in the planning stages to go on the list for '18? Who is planning on that one? I'd love to try and make that if possible.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

I would be interested in Omaha myself as long as my schedule permits, would be a good way to get some Nebraska and Iowa counties. Steph and I passed through Omaha back in July 2013 and clinched all of tis interstates.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

I'm hoping somebody does a fall meet next year. That part of the year appears to have nothing so far. Do it Columbus Day Weekend and you'd probably get a decent crowd.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SSOWorld

Omaha was mentioned - but I failed to see who would want to plan it - I marked it with a ? due to that.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

noelbotevera

I was thinking about a few road meet ideas, and road meets that seem to have since fallen by the wayside. I should note that this is my understanding, so feel free to correct me on inaccurate details. These are all East Coast meets, and are mostly Pennsylvania and Maryland.

-Pittsburgh
My understanding: It has come up a few times, and there was a thread created with that possibility, but it seems nobody could host. It was discussed that there was somebody from Morgantown, WV that could host, but it was unknown if he/she was still active or not. There's a lot of areas of interest such as the Wabash Tunnel and the Fort Pitt Tunnel.

-Boston
My understanding: There could've been one in recent years, but it seems nobody has mentioned it. I believe there may never have been any meets in the Boston area, but I did suggest some areas of interest. Preferably, I'd rather have a local create the itinerary and host the meet.

-State College area + I-99 construction
My understanding: The last meet in this area was also in 2008 or so, so it's been about ten years. I believe there has been progress with I-99 in the I-80 area, and there's also been recent efforts to extend the US 322 freeway west to link it with the State College bypass. Aside from that, there's practically nothing of interest, so IMO this should be a mini-meet.

-Harrisburg
My understanding: This'll be covered soon enough (along with Pennsylvania's first DDI) by jpi's planned meet in 2019. From what I can take away, it seems projects such as the Eisenhower Interchange Reconstruction will be completed by then. I'd be up to host this meet, as I know the area pretty well, but I'll still let someone else host if they know the area better or know of better areas of interest. A few ideas I have are the Walnut Street Bridge stub (still has signs on it), the Eisenhower Interchange, the York Split, and a few other areas I could be missing.

-Philadelphia
My understanding: I believe there was a meet near Trenton that covered the NJ 29 tunnel, and may have covered parts of Philadelphia, but I don't think there's been a meet in at least 3 years or so. I'll leave whoever wants to host open, because it seems there's a fair amount of people in this forum that have either lived near or visited Philadelphia a fair amount of times. Ideas I have are the PA 90 freeway stubs, Roosevelt Boulevard, PA 63 freeway stubs and assorted signs, I-695 freeway stubs, old PA 291 within PHL, and old US 322 on the NJ side (there's a stub roadway numbered NJ 324 - it leads to the Delaware River where there was a ferry dock, and was removed when the Commodore Barry Bridge was built).

-Buffalo/Niagara Falls
My understanding: There's quite a load of interesting material in this area, but it seems there's been little interest for anybody to host a meet here. The closest meets in this area that I can think of are way up in Toronto. I do know that there are forum members up in Western NY, but I believe that they are in college, and thus may not have time to host a meet. I myself cannot host, considering that Buffalo is just too far for me (New River Gorge was pretty much the limit, and that was 5 hours away). However, there's quite a few areas of interest such as LaSalle Expressway stub, Robert Moses State Parkway closed section and half removal, NY 33 stub, NY 198, remnants of Honeymoon Bridge, I-990 stub, and many more places.

EDIT (12/26/17): Removed Baltimore, Washington D.C. and Corridor H. Seems there have been recent meets that I don't know about.
Added Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and Buffalo/Niagara Falls.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 26, 2017, 06:32:14 PM
I was thinking about a few road meet ideas, and road meets that seem to have since fallen by the wayside. I should note that this is my understanding, so feel free to correct me on inaccurate details. These are all East Coast meets, and are mostly Pennsylvania and Maryland.

-Pittsburgh
My understanding: It has come up a few times, and there was a thread created with that possibility, but it seems nobody could host. It was discussed that there was somebody from Morgantown, WV that could host, but it was unknown if he/she was still active or not. There's a lot of areas of interest such as the Wabash Tunnel and the Fort Pitt Tunnel.
I've been trying to get this one started for a couple of years but Pittsburgh is tangled enough that I need someone with the ability to scout locations and routes. 28 reconstruction is complete, PA 576 is actually more recent than the previous meet, new sections of Mon-Fayette... definitely some items worth pursuing. I'd love for someone to step up.
-Boston
My understanding: There could've been one in recent years, but it seems nobody has mentioned it. I believe there may never have been any meets in the Boston area, but I did suggest some areas of interest. Preferably, I'd rather have a local create the itinerary and host the meet.
I actually don't know of any meets. I've prepared guides for several people heading to the area. While I would defer to anyone living in Boston or its environs if they wanted to host (not sure if Bob Malme reads this thread), I could do it myself fairly easily. Sites of interest: Allston/Brighton/Cambridge interchange on the Mass Pike (and the idea of AET in general), is the Longfellow Bridge finally done with construction?, ... I don't know. I'd like a third.
-Washington DC
My understanding: It's been nearly ten years since the last meet, although there may have been some minor visiting during the ICC meet about five years ago. I'm not sure if there's any construction of interest, but I personally am interested in a meet here, for things such as the ancient gantry near the Watergate. I believe there was a meet planned by cpzillacus for the toll lanes, but that may have required an EZPass, which I don't have.
There have been a couple of more recent DC meets that you're missing. (And Baltimore, for that matter.) It's not neglected. Cross this one off.
-Corridor H
DEAR GOD NO MORE CORRIDOR H MEETS

SSOWorld

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 19, 2017, 02:41:13 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on December 18, 2017, 04:26:03 AM
gives me a bit of motivation to complete the interstates of CO and NM (only I-25 remains in both)

Reality: Depends on work demand and house projects.

Then turn it into a good road trip!
Let me clarify.  Depends on work due to availability of vacation time (which is at a premium right now) and house projects due to them eating money hand-over-fist.

Outside of that - yes I do cluster a meet with a good scenic route.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

jpi

-State College area + I-99 construction
My understanding: The last meet in this area was also in 2008 or so, so it's been about ten years. I believe there has been progress with I-99 in the I-80 area, and there's also been recent efforts to extend the US 322 freeway west to link it with the State College bypass. Aside from that, there's practically nothing of interest, so IMO this should be a mini-meet.

JPI's take on this- I-99 has been open in this area for the past decade with NO progress on the 80/99 interchange, this is still several years out and yes PENNDPT does plan on extending the 322 expressway to Potters Mills and this was originally part of my planned April 18 meet but now has been dropped in favor of full focus on the CSVT area.

-Harrisburg
My understanding: This'll be covered soon enough (along with Pennsylvania's first DDI) by jpi's planned meet in 2019. From what I can take away, it seems projects such as the Eisenhower Interchange Reconstruction will be completed by then. I'd be up to host this meet, as I know the area pretty well, but I'll still let someone else host if they know the area better or know of better areas of interest. A few ideas I have are the Walnut Street Bridge stub (still has signs on it), the Eisenhower Interchange, the York Split, and a few other areas I could be missing.

JPI's take on this- My plan for spring 2019 will be the DDI in Shrewsbury with a lunch stop in that area, then travel the recently rebuilt Loganville interchange and travel the "new" PA 214 in the area then possibly a hike on a rail trail to the oldest active railroad tunnel then a re-visit of the Mt Rose Ave interchange which means anything around Harrisburg meet wise may be held off until 2020 or 2021 and yes I plan on doing the hosting since my wife and I are from the area and we know it very well and despite living 700 miles away I am still up in the area enough through out of the year that I can easily scout out the area with no issues and know the restaurants in the area well.

So anything in central PA rest assured it is covered  ;-)

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on December 26, 2017, 08:15:32 PM

-Pittsburgh
I've been trying to get this one started for a couple of years but Pittsburgh is tangled enough that I need someone with the ability to scout locations and routes. 28 reconstruction is complete, PA 576 is actually more recent than the previous meet, new sections of Mon-Fayette... definitely some items worth pursuing. I'd love for someone to step up.

Is Jeff Kitsko still alive? He's not active here and I never see him on Facebook anymore.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on December 27, 2017, 04:31:18 PM
Is Jeff Kitsko still alive? He's not active here and I never see him on Facebook anymore.
(you had an extra quote tag) He is. I've been in touch.

jpi

Last I saw him was sometime last year in Monroeville, PA
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.