News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2018 Road Meets

Started by Brandon, September 21, 2017, 03:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

sounds like he chose to go offline.  Can't say I blame him.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US71

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 27, 2017, 10:14:05 PM
sounds like he chose to go offline.  Can't say I blame him.
He's still on my FB page, but doesn't post very often
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 23, 2017, 08:31:15 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 22, 2017, 11:21:31 AM
I'd be very interested in anything in Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia or northern Florida. The midwest is also in large part unexplored territory for me so I'd be game for something in Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska or the Dakotas.

I am very interested in many of these areas as well. I recall a year or two ago someone (maybe David Backlin?) talked about hosting a NW Arkansas meet. I was hoping that would come to fruition. Arkansas is a state I've barely spent any time in, so if I have a reason to go there, I'd be happy.

If there is any interest, I could host a NWA meet or co-host it with US71 or at least help out with planning it and choosing destinations. I know the area quite well and there are plenty of interesting sites to visit. It's only a couple of hours from me. The only bad thing is that the points of interest are scattered around the region and there would be a lot of driving involved.

kphoger

Quote from: bugo on December 29, 2017, 05:06:06 PM
I'd be very interested in anything in Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia or northern Florida. The midwest is also in large part unexplored territory for me so I'd be game for something in Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska or the Dakotas.

I am very interested in many of these areas as well. I recall a year or two ago someone (maybe David Backlin?) talked about hosting a NW Arkansas meet. I was hoping that would come to fruition. Arkansas is a state I've barely spent any time in, so if I have a reason to go there, I'd be happy.

If there is any interest, I could host a NWA meet or co-host it with US71 or at least help out with planning it and choosing destinations. I know the area quite well and there are plenty of interesting sites to visit. It's only a couple of hours from me. The only bad thing is that the points of interest are scattered around the region and there would be a lot of driving involved.

We're Americans.  Just make sure there's food at every stop, and we'll gladly follow.   :cheers:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

That's what keeps me from planning much.  I've also been talking to "ALT 71" about Springfield/Branson, but not much going on as far as ideas.

cjk374

The only bad thing is that the points of interest are scattered around the region and there would be a lot of driving involved.

It wouldn't be a road meet without driving...that's just me.

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2017, 05:54:12 PM
We're Americans.  Just make sure there's food at every stop, and we'll gladly follow.   :cheers:

I'll drink to that too! :cheers:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bugo

If there is any interest in a Tulsa/NE Oklahoma meet/bridgehunt next fall I could start planning one. There is plenty of stuff to see that we didn't see at the 2010 meet. Some possible highlights are button copy signs downtown. the Gilcrease Expressway, the Jenks and Bixby bridges which are rare 19 span pony truss bridges, some trusses in northern Tulsa county, the newly reconstructed I-44, the IDL (Inner Dispersal Loop, I-244/444), the active railroad track in the median of the BA (Broken Arrow Expressway, OK 51/US 64), US 66, the Keystone Lake area where there are several highways that disappear underwater and other places.

Another idea would be an Osage County bridgehunt. According to bridgehunter.com, there are about 40 truss bridges in the county. Osage County is a huge county, at over 2300 square miles which is bigger than the state of Delaware on the east coast. There are plenty of other road related things in the area to see (Part of Tulsa is in Osage County, and there is plenty to see there) and things like signs and old alignments and what not would be . This kind of meet might appeal to some in the bridge community and have crossover appeal with bridge enthusiasts and road enthusiasts, two communities with a lot less overlap that you might imagine. We could stop at some of the bridges to socialize. I think it might work.

bugo

Quote from: US71 on December 29, 2017, 06:39:09 PM

That's what keeps me from planning much.  I've also been talking to "ALT 71" about Springfield/Branson, but not much going on as far as ideas.

I can come up with some ideas. I'll send you an email and CC Alt 71 so we can share ideas and discuss logistics.

bugo

Quote from: cjk374 on December 29, 2017, 06:53:04 PM
The only bad thing is that the points of interest are scattered around the region and there would be a lot of driving involved.
It wouldn't be a road meet without driving...that's just me.

The Osage County meet I proposed would be a nice mix of driving and socializing.

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on December 29, 2017, 06:39:09 PM
I've also been talking to "ALT 71" about Springfield/Branson, but not much going on as far as ideas.

Even though I live out here in Wichita, my wife is from Branson and her mom and sisters still live there.  So, with enough advance notice, I might be able to help with a Springfield/Branson meet.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

Due to whooping cough, I have to rest for 6 months.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on January 04, 2018, 03:34:34 PM
Due to whooping cough, I have to rest for 6 months.

Seriously? I'm not sure I could do that.

jpi

Yes, that seems like a long time, hope you get better soon, nasty stuff going around.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

codyg1985

I haven't updated everyone on the potential Huntsville road meet. My first stab at an itinerary would be a mix between new construction and some obscure signage and bridges. It will most likely be in early November based upon when construction begins on some of the other major projects in the area. However, I have a second itinerary which I have already completed in case construction has not begun on the Northern Bypass, the Memorial Pkwy/Mastin Lake Road overpass, and the Cecil Ashburn widening project.

All of this also depends on how things go with my newborn twins.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cjk374

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 05, 2018, 10:08:39 AM
I haven't updated everyone on the potential Huntsville road meet. My first stab at an itinerary would be a mix between new construction and some obscure signage and bridges. It will most likely be in early November based upon when construction begins on some of the other major projects in the area. However, I have a second itinerary which I have already completed in case construction has not begun on the Northern Bypass, the Memorial Pkwy/Mastin Lake Road overpass, and the Cecil Ashburn widening project.

How far south is ALDOT taking the freeway construction of Memorial Parkway?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

Quote from: cjk374 on January 05, 2018, 04:05:25 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on January 05, 2018, 10:08:39 AM

How far south is ALDOT taking the freeway construction of Memorial Parkway?

The construction goes to Lily Flagg Road, but the freeway will end at Weatherly Road for the time being.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 23, 2017, 05:08:40 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2017, 04:53:35 PMHas there ever been a Twin Cities meet? and when?

Yup.  Last summer.  I almost went, but ended up saving the itinerary for a future self-guided tour.

I'm hoping to do the same. Most meets I save the itineraries in case I someday have time to go back.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on January 06, 2018, 12:34:00 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on December 23, 2017, 05:08:40 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2017, 04:53:35 PMHas there ever been a Twin Cities meet? and when?
Yup.  Last summer.  I almost went, but ended up saving the itinerary for a future self-guided tour.
I'm hoping to do the same. Most meets I save the itineraries in case I someday have time to go back.

As someone who's obviously spent a lot of time in the Twin Cities, the whole point of that meet, for me, was to meet other people, not to see the sights. I couldn't fit it into my schedule, though, and I ended up not going. I would totally attend an Omaha or KC meet sometime this year, though, because I'm pretty confident I could make it work.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2017, 08:17:14 AM
I'd probably interested in the something in New Mexico since I'm planning on doing something Route 66 road trip related in 2019 anyways. 
I'm late to the discussion, but I'd be interesting in providing ideas for a 2019 ABQ area road meet. There's not a lot of new construction to see (we could ooh and aah at the new and improved Paseo del Norte interchange), but there are historic corridors to see. I spent some time a few years ago trying to find the original route up La Bajada, and located the bottom of it along with a late 1920s bridge over the Santa Fe River. (Though apparently Cochiti Pueblo has closed access at the bottom). The road to the top of the grade seems to be accessible, though I haven't yet gone to find it. Since there are two historic Route 66 corridors out of Albuquerque, that could fill some time.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on January 09, 2018, 02:10:29 PM
I'd probably interested in the something in New Mexico since I'm planning on doing something Route 66 road trip related in 2019 anyways. 
I'm late to the discussion, but I'd be interesting in providing ideas for a 2019 ABQ area road meet. There's not a lot of new construction to see (we could ooh and aah at the new and improved Paseo del Norte interchange), but there are historic corridors to see. I spent some time a few years ago trying to find the original route up La Bajada, and located the bottom of it along with a late 1920s bridge over the Santa Fe River. (Though apparently Cochiti Pueblo has closed access at the bottom). The road to the top of the grade seems to be accessible, though I haven't yet gone to find it. Since there are two historic Route 66 corridors out of Albuquerque, that could fill some time.

I'm planning a cross-country 66 trip.  Albuquerque is the junction of a huge realignment hence my interest tends to coincide with a meet there.

jpi

From last month-

"Then its settled  :sombrero:, this time next year I will start planning this (Albuquerque) and that will give everyone plenty of time to plan, this would be on one Saturday in July, roughly the 3rd Saturday, I will know the dates of the convention later this summer and I will go from there :D" Yes I am aiming on hosting a meet in Albuquerque, NM mid July 2019
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jpi on January 09, 2018, 05:21:33 PM
From last month-

"Then its settled  :sombrero:, this time next year I will start planning this (Albuquerque) and that will give everyone plenty of time to plan, this would be on one Saturday in July, roughly the 3rd Saturday, I will know the dates of the convention later this summer and I will go from there :D" Yes I am aiming on hosting a meet in Albuquerque, NM mid July 2019

Around the 4th likely would be an issue for me.  I have a bunch of inventories I oversee during the July time frame.  June and August are way more open. 

jpi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 09, 2018, 05:25:51 PM
Quote from: jpi on January 09, 2018, 05:21:33 PM
From last month-

Around the 4th likely would be an issue for me.  I have a bunch of inventories I oversee during the July time frame.  June and August are way more open. 
Unfortunetly it would have to be in mid July for me to host this since my wife and I both will be in Albuquerque for a 3 day long toy convention (mattel reps, banquet, the whole 9 yards) and it is always around the 3rd weekend in July so June and August are out, it is a day and a half drive for me running I-40 west from the Nashville, TN area so I would be VERY limited with planning another weekend for this. I will have the date nailed down as soon as the end of this July.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Google Maps is your friend, though it took a bit of digging around to find. https://goo.gl/maps/TLjvVS3DHeF2
And yes, the bottom is closed. Gotta ask the pueblo nicely.

JMoses24

If one in OKC is going to happen, I think summer of next year is the timeframe. I want to avoid the situation of being mid-meet and having a tornado threat (which can occur quite often between March-May). Not to mention, if there's a tornado threat, I'd likely be on a storm chase.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.