News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95 Delaware River Scudder Falls bridge replacement (toll?)

Started by mightyace, December 22, 2009, 08:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: vdeane on February 20, 2020, 01:18:01 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 20, 2020, 11:24:13 AM
No need to add a rental license plate, and you shouldn't if you can't clearly define the time you'll have the rental.  Just use the EZ Pass as you normally would by holding it on the windshield in the same manner you would normally secure it to the windshield.  The tags are only checked if the system didn't pick up the toll transaction, and you can verify that it was charged by checking your account by the next day.
As you mention, there's the risk of a blown read, and I imagine I'm not the only person who would rather not risk it.
I wonder how often that happens?

You probably wouldn't know about it with your own car, because your transponder is assigned to your car via plate number.  If the transponder read fails, then the photo plate reader takes a picture of your plate, and your account gets charged, and everything is fine and EZPass doesn't need to notify you about what happened.   Maybe if they get a whole string of transponder read fails on your account, then they would notify you of a possible dead transponder battery.

Adding your rental plate number to your account temporarily has other possible problems, as has been pointed out.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 20, 2020, 11:24:13 AMNo need to add a rental license plate, and you shouldn't if you can't clearly define the time you'll have the rental.  Just use the EZ Pass as you normally would by holding it on the windshield in the same manner you would normally secure it to the windshield.  The tags are only checked if the system didn't pick up the toll transaction, and you can verify that it was charged by checking your account by the next day.
The above is subject to the policy & procedures of the individual agency that issued the E-ZPass.  Not every agency treats the above-described transactions equally.  See Transferring E-ZPass Between Cars thread.  Additionally, any disputed unusual or fraudulent (another matter) readings may only apply to tolls charged within that agency's jurisdiction.  I.e. it's more of a hassle/challenge to contest a questionable MassDOT toll charge on a PTC-issued E-ZPass account as an example than it is to contest a suspicious/odd PTC toll charge on a PTC account. 

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 20, 2020, 11:24:13 AMAs far as GPS units go - people still use them - A lot - even though Waze and Google Maps are free to everyone with a smart phone (which is almost everyone).
Then, they're just wasting their own money IMHO.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 20, 2020, 11:24:13 AMNone of the reasons presented are going to convince a toll agency to spend tens of millions to add cash booths.
Let's be clear here: My stating a particular/desired toll set-up preference is, by no means, saying that I am fully advocating adding such.  I am more than well aware that the AET horses, so to speak, have already escaped and that closing the proverbial barn door will accomplish nothing.  IMHO, the what if scenarios should've been pondered more thoroughly prior to its implementation; and I'm not just referring to the tolling agencies.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

odditude

also, for those who are interested in such things - the contractor has been posting aerial footage of the project area from drone flyovers roughly once a month for the past year.

www.scudderfallsbridge.com/progress/

storm2k

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 22, 2020, 03:21:57 PM
From PennDOT District 6:I-295 WB will be reduced to one lane through here most of next week.

Drove on the NJ side of 295 this afternoon. Saw several VMS's warning of this activity, even on the NJ side, so at least they're doing a good job of warning drivers about it.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

Considered posting there, looked arguably necroposty. :)
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Alex

Was curious as to the status of this project and the northbound span just opened to traffic.

AUGUST 18, 2021 / ALERT

QuoteProject Now in Third -- and Final -- Construction Stage

The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project has entered its third final construction stage.

The second completed bridge span (downstream) opened to New Jersey-bound traffic only shortly after 8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 17.  Exit and entrance ramps at the interchanges flanking the bridge also are once against fully operational.

The first completed span, which opened to traffic in July 2019, will now carry only Pennsylvania-bound traffic.

Through traffic on both bridge spans is now restricted to their respective two outside lanes.  This travel pattern will allow for a new workzone in the center of the bridge into the fall.

The project remains on pace to reach substantial in mid-t0-late December. 

famartin

Quote from: Alex on August 19, 2021, 07:46:44 AM
Was curious as to the status of this project and the northbound span just opened to traffic.

AUGUST 18, 2021 / ALERT

The Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project has entered its third final construction stage.

The second completed bridge span (downstream) opened to New Jersey-bound traffic only shortly after 8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 17.  Exit and entrance ramps at the interchanges flanking the bridge also are once against fully operational.

The first completed span, which opened to traffic in July 2019, will now carry only Pennsylvania-bound traffic.

Through traffic on both bridge spans is now restricted to their respective two outside lanes.  This travel pattern will allow for a new workzone in the center of the bridge into the fall.

I like how their release forgot the word " completion"  after "substantial"  😂

odditude

Quote from: famartin on August 19, 2021, 08:44:19 AM

AUGUST 18, 2021 / ALERT

call it a punch-list item and submit a change order  :-P

storm2k

AUGUST 18, 2021 / ALERT

Gonna have to get down there soon and get some new pictures.

bluecountry

Quote from: odditude on August 19, 2021, 08:44:32 PM

AUGUST 18, 2021 / ALERT

I thought the 95 bridge from NJ to PA at the 295/PATP interchange would not be done for a long long time.
You are saying now it is essentially done, with 3 lanes in each direction?

famartin

Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2021, 02:28:06 AM
Quote from: odditude on August 19, 2021, 08:44:32 PM

AUGUST 18, 2021 / ALERT

I thought the 95 bridge from NJ to PA at the 295/PATP interchange would not be done for a long long time.

When this topic was started many years ago, it was I-95, but re-read the title: Scudders Falls. That's not the current 95 bridge. It is 295 now.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2021, 02:28:06 AM

Uh, what where?

If you're thinking of the bridge between the NJ and PA Turnpikes, this isn't it.

bluecountry

Yes, I am thinking of the I-95 bridge.
I guess I got confused, this is the 295 bridge in Trenton, formerly I-95.

famartin

Drove across both spans last week. Still two lanes each way while they finish work on the median portions of both spans. Also noticed the 29 exit northbound now has a notice about trucks more than 13 tons being banned. I don't think that was a thing before, so I'm wondering why it was added all of a sudden.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on September 06, 2021, 10:43:01 PM
Drove across both spans last week. Still two lanes each way while they finish work on the median portions of both spans. Also noticed the 29 exit northbound now has a notice about trucks more than 13 tons being banned. I don't think that was a thing before, so I'm wondering why it was added all of a sudden.

I haven't been across the new spans since the newest span open so I don't know how prominently these new signs are displayed, but the signage banning trucks over 13 Tons was used, per GSV going back to 2009:

95 Northbound (now 295 EB): https://goo.gl/maps/woyr4a1ziZinY42P6

95 Southbound (now 295 WB) in 2013 (because the 2009 GSV isn't readable): https://goo.gl/maps/Npnzbo5P1bHwB6k7A

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 07, 2021, 07:54:47 AM
Quote from: famartin on September 06, 2021, 10:43:01 PM

I haven't been across the new spans since the newest span open so I don't know how prominently these new signs are displayed, but the signage banning trucks over 13 Tons was used, per GSV going back to 2009:

95 Northbound (now 295 EB): https://goo.gl/maps/woyr4a1ziZinY42P6

95 Southbound (now 295 WB) in 2013 (because the 2009 GSV isn't readable): https://goo.gl/maps/Npnzbo5P1bHwB6k7A

Totally never noticed that, or maybe just don't remember. Probably why they put it on the main sign.

roadman65

Hope the white " TOLL"  banner here is temporary.
https://goo.gl/maps/ywy8yunfMqmYKFoQA

I am glad though that NJ got it right with signing I-295 as WEST instead of NORTH to WEST.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on September 07, 2021, 08:58:38 AM
Hope the white " TOLL"  banner here is temporary.
https://goo.gl/maps/ywy8yunfMqmYKFoQA

I am glad though that NJ got it right with signing I-295 as WEST instead of NORTH to WEST.
That may have to do with it being DRJTBC and not NJDOT jurisdiction.

jeffandnicole

Does someone at the DRJTBC want to call the Maryland Transportation Authority to tell them the right way to create signage that informs drivers of the toll by plate option?

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on September 29, 2021, 06:45:57 PM
Some pics I took today....

Are these all DRJTBC installs? I like the look of the Rt 29 signs all around. Nice proper black on white No Trucks Over 13 Tons banner, and an even more proper black on yellow "Last Exit Before Toll" banner too.

roadman65

As I figured, Exit 76 for Route29 is the highest exit number for interstates in NJ. I-80 goes to Exit 68. I-78! Goes to Exit 58. I-95;is Exit 73. So I-295 has the highest interstate exit number now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.