News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

General NBA thread

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

It looks like the 76ers plan for a new arena at Penn's Landing was dashed in favor of another development; one that will not use taxpayer funds.

New York's Durst selected to develop Penn's Landing over 76ers arena proposal

Quote from: Inquirer ArticleThe Durst Organization of New York has been selected to redevelop Penn's Landing, ending efforts by the Philadelphia 76ers to build themselves a new basketball arena there.
In choosing Durst's 3.5 million-square-foot proposal, the board rejected a plan pushed by the 76ers that the team valued at $4 billion, but that would have required a big tax break.
Mayor Jim Kenney said in a statement later Wednesday that he welcomed Durst's plan to complete its project "without the need for a taxpayer subsidy."
That was fast.  Easy come-easy go for the Sixers.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

formulanone

Miami Heat in the Finals!  :cool:

MisterSG1

Quote from: formulanone on September 28, 2020, 09:55:05 AM

Gotta love those ratings though, the NBA which was built up in popularity by the likes of Bird, Johnson, and Jordan has now been decimated by Lebron James.

I'm not much of a fan of the whole "Canada's team"  label applied to the raptors, but last year there were viewing parties outdoors all across Canada watching the Raptors. How do the Raps respond the next year? They stick up a giant middle finger to all Canadian fans by not standing for a second for O Canada.

Henry

Quote from: MisterSG1 on October 07, 2020, 09:23:08 PM

Gotta love those ratings though, the NBA which was built up in popularity by the likes of Bird, Johnson, and Jordan has now been decimated by Lebron James.

I'm not much of a fan of the whole "Canada's team"  label applied to the raptors, but last year there were viewing parties outdoors all across Canada watching the Raptors. How do the Raps respond the next year? They stick up a giant middle finger to all Canadian fans by not standing for a second for O Canada.
Well, the Grizzlies left Vancouver in 2001, so the Raptors are the only team in Canada. Same goes for the Blue Jays, because the Expos left Montreal in 2004 and now have greater success as the Washington Nationals. Speaking of which, were the Blue Jays called Canada's team during their postseason run in the early 90s?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MisterSG1

Quote from: Henry on October 08, 2020, 10:31:08 AM
Quote from: MisterSG1 on October 07, 2020, 09:23:08 PM

Well, the Grizzlies left Vancouver in 2001, so the Raptors are the only team in Canada. Same goes for the Blue Jays, because the Expos left Montreal in 2004 and now have greater success as the Washington Nationals. Speaking of which, were the Blue Jays called Canada's team during their postseason run in the early 90s?

What I was more complaining about was the silly "nationalism" surrounding the team. You see it all the time here with the NHL, how people are coerced into rooting for teams that would normally be enemies just because they are "Canadian teams".

Despite the Raptors last year winning, only one player was from Canada on that team, and he did not play a second on the court in the Finals last year. Yet it was seen as something that "Canada" won by many. Mind you this was not as bad as when the Blue Jays won in the early 90s, which was before my time mostly but I've seen clips of the victory parade. You can see clips on youtube of it, it seems more like some sort of stereotypical military rally than anything else with people on the streets waving miniature Canadian flags. It's incredibly hypocritical because the Canadian media goes after anyone in a stadium within the US who chants USA against a "Canadian team" in any of the pro sports leagues. Aren't these one in the same? Not that I like either one, but what's different about the fan who chants USA in a playoff series against the Raptors to the fan who brings Canadian flags to games? (you saw this plenty in Oakland last year during the NBA Finals)

Honestly, the only thing Canadian about the Raptors or the Blue Jays is where they play their games and their ownership.

The Ghostbuster

I hope the Los Angeles Lakers finish off the Miami Heat tonight. I'd like nothing more than for my favorite player, LeBron James, to get his 4th championship ring. It would suck to see him fall to 3-7 in NBA Finals appearances.

Stephane Dumas

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 09, 2020, 08:14:59 PM
I hope the Los Angeles Lakers finish off the Miami Heat tonight. I'd like nothing more than for my favorite player, LeBron James, to get his 4th championship ring. It would suck to see him fall to 3-7 in NBA Finals appearances.

What gets me is that there are still people out there that still want to put him on the level of Michael Jordan.  Micheal Jordan wasn't on teams that lost a crap ton of NBA finals (much less conference finals).  Lebron James might be in the top five as far as best basketball ball players but even if he got to six championships in the next two years he'd only be .500 in the finals.  That coupled with the fact he's needed to jump around from team to team will keep him in my opinion from that level of someone like Jordan.   

Henry

Love him or hate him, there's no denying that LeBron James gave the Lakers their most deserving championship, especially after the death of Kobe Bryant. He and GiGi would be proud of their accomplishments.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Desert Man

The Lakers dedicated their shortened NBA season and their championship ring to #8 and 24, Kobe Bryant (his birth month and date: 8/24) who was killed back in January along with his daughter and 7 others in a youth sports team in the ill-fated copter crash in Calabasas outside of L.A. The Clippers did good this year, but again failed to get past the second round. Fun fact the L.A. Clippers' developmental team: The Agua Caliente Clippers are named for the Agua Caliente Cahuilla tribe in Palm Springs but play in Ontario, CA and their nearest rival the South Bay Lakers play in the Lakers' training facility in El Segundo, CA. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

ET21

I really should bet on NBA games, this entire playoff season was so predictable outside of the Heat
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 12, 2020, 09:32:20 AM
The Lakers had won the 2020 championship but the ratings fallen down. https://kwwl.com/2020/10/12/nba-finals-suffer-massive-drop-in-ratings/

I think COVID and the bubble had something to do with the drop in ratings. It's going to take a while for the NBA to break even ratings wise. Adam Silver somehow continually gets boat raced by the NFL during the fall season. The NBA needs to find a better viewing product because let's look ten years down the road from now: not a lot of Americans will watch sports on their TV's or listen to games on traditional radio anymore. Where does the NBA need to go? Those with smartphones or smart tablets. Why? Because the current demographic the NBA serves consume their content using smartphones and tablets. You also have those with Xbox and Playstation consoles that have the ability to stream live NBA games. I feel the NBA is restrictive using the traditional broadcasting model and that could be why the ratings look shoddy. I could be totally off, but, given our current situation, it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Henry

We're just three weeks away from the start of a new season...

kevinb1994

The Atlanta Hawks have dismissed Lloyd Pierce as their coach.

ET21

Bulls have actually been watchable this season. Zach/Coby duo is  :love: :love:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ET21 on March 02, 2021, 09:12:59 AM
Bulls have actually been watchable this season. Zach/Coby duo is  :love: :love:

Unfortunately you ran into Mr. Jokic last night who should be MVP.  If the Nuggets record was better (they need to get healthy), he'd be a no-brainer.

Chris

Henry

Five more days to the All-Star Game, which is now a fan-free mega-event in Atlanta with the normal Saturday events being held on the same night. From what I understand, the Skills Challenge and 3-Point Shootout will take place before the game, and the Slam Dunk Contest at halftime.

webny99

I guess this is more or less the official NBA thread on this forum, so I'll drop FiveThirtyEight's 2021-22 NBA predictions here:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-nba-predictions/

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on October 19, 2021, 10:44:04 AM
I guess this is more or less the official NBA thread on this forum, so I'll drop FiveThirtyEight's 2021-22 NBA predictions here:

I understand why they use ELO ratings, but they are based too much on previous years.

Underrated: Nuggets, Warriors, Lakers, Heat
Overrated: Clippers, Celtics, Timberwolves

Chris

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 19, 2021, 10:53:07 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 19, 2021, 10:44:04 AM

I understand why they use ELO ratings, but they are based too much on previous years.

Underrated: Nuggets, Warriors, Lakers, Heat
Overrated: Clippers, Celtics, Timberwolves

On that note, I haven't listened to this week's sports podcast from FiveThirtyEight yet, but there's presumably some discussion of your point, given that it's titled Why Our Model (Still) Hates The Lakers  :D

tchafe1978

The Bucks begin their title defense by beating many prognisticator's favorite to win the title this season, the Nets 127-104. Fear the Dear!

kevinb1994

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 19, 2021, 11:16:05 PM
The Bucks begin their title defense by beating many prognisticator's favorite to win the title this season, the Nets 127-104. Fear the Dear!
Oh Dear ;)

I live in a neighborhood called Deerwood. The Bucks are a favorite of mine. Go figure.

tchafe1978

Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 20, 2021, 12:13:58 AM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 19, 2021, 11:16:05 PM
Oh Dear ;)

I live in a neighborhood called Deerwood. The Bucks are a favorite of mine. Go figure.

Dang typos!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.