News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why is the white population in America declining?

Started by tolbs17, July 12, 2019, 03:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Why is the white population in America declining? Is it cause of birth rates falling? They are still the majority, buy why is it dropping? And the black population going up and Hispanic and Asian and other minorities rising faster?

formulanone

I could mention several stereotypical answers, those which usually only affect a few people in a moment and place, rather than entire groups of people. In reality, there's numerous individual reasons why populations increase or decrease; even if the reason population statistics exist solely to count births and deaths, thus devoting many assumptions in between, I have no idea why skin color matters so much, other than to be marketed and advertised towards.

The real question is: Why do you care?

tolbs17

Quote from: formulanone on July 12, 2019, 06:21:16 AM
I could mention several stereotypical answers, those which usually only affect a few people in a moment and place, rather than entire groups of people. In reality, there's numerous individual reasons why populations increase or decrease; even if the reason population statistics exist solely to count births and deaths, thus devoting many assumptions in between, I have no idea why skin color matters so much, other than to be marketed and advertised towards.

Because I had no other question to think in mind lol. I just wanted to know why it's declining. I mean it's good that we are getting some diversity, but I'm guessing with more undocumented immigrants from other countries "such as Latin America" then this could ruin our country. I don't think we need more immigrants. I think we are fine without them. Population is high enough. We don't want to get more crowded. We are already kind of overcrowded.

hotdogPi

I would be surprised if it was declining in absolute numbers. Is this what you mean, or are you referring to percentages?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on July 12, 2019, 07:03:01 AM
I would be surprised if it was declining in absolute numbers. Is this what you mean, or are you referring to percentages?

Percentages. And yes it is declining in numbers too. It dropped like 40,000 last year I think. It peaked in 2015.

It's still roughly 197 million, and percentages are dropping in all 50 states. It peaked in the 1940s, which was 89.8%, "During the Great Migration which was in the 1910s" and the percentages today are 60.7%. So have any ideas?

MikieTimT

Probably because some of us have evolved past the idea that we're the superior race and that it is even relevant anymore.  I am a white man, but married a Jesus-loving Laotion woman, so we have 3 mixed race kids.  Just got back from a beach vacation with 4 families sharing a beach house vacation rental, and none of the 8 children there were of a single race.  One of my brother-in-laws is white and married my wife's sister having 1 child, one of my other brother-in-laws is half Panamanian and half Swiss and married the other sister, having 2 kids.  The other family that's a close friend to our families is a black guy and a Thai woman that have 2 kids.  The kids are all gorgeous, most are incredibly smart, but all are funny or creative if not booksmart and will do great in life.  Personally, I'm glad the white population in America is declining, not because I dislike my race in any way, but because race simply matters much less than it used to, and I'm glad of it because the Lord saw fit that my mate wasn't of my race, so who am I or anyone else for that matter to go against His wishes.

formulanone

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 12, 2019, 06:46:47 AM
Quote from: formulanone on July 12, 2019, 06:21:16 AM

Because I had no other question to think in mind lol. I just wanted to know why it's declining. I mean it's good that we are getting some diversity, but I'm guessing with more undocumented immigrants from other countries "such as Latin America" then this could ruin our country. I don't think we need more immigrants. I think we are fine without them. Population is high enough. We don't want to get more crowded. We are already kind of overcrowded.

So the white population is decreasing and everyone else is increasing, ergo...there's a population "problem". Was it a problem 50-100 years ago? No, a problem is when there's not enough resources to handle a population increase; there's plenty of land, food, water, clothing, shelter, methods of waste disposal, basic health services, and safety services to go around for even those with minimal incomes. Culturally, we've steadily found ways to effectively deal with those consumption increases and systematic stresses, and have improved basic quality-of-life for most with each generation. I'm wise enough to know that we're not wholly dependent on any one category or item, due to our advancements in technology and diversification, though individual and sporadic areas can sometimes be affected by disasters or other changes.

Granted, our systems of government and market forces don't always react swiftly to address changes or take note of trends to immediately deal with changes. Total population masses or majorities are more predictable than an individual's needs, which explains the glacial pace of modifications to quality-of-life.

Will there be problems of overcrowding in the future? Eventually...but we also live in a place with room to spread out. Much of the perceived scarcity is artificially driven by fear. The entire human race has either moved along to safer environments to avoid conflict or had wealthy and influential forces telling us to violently deal with it head-on, regardless of the price (so they won't have to). Eventually people get bored or the Truffula trees died out and want to live somewhere else.

Since you're 16, we'll give you time to think about your views.

Personally, I'm white and so is my wife, but we decided to have kids much later in life than the averages, and two children is enough to keep it all evened out (mostly for sanity reasons). Depending on context, my ancestors had various shades of skin tone so I don't really think too much about identification; probably being a middle-class suburban society has made a lot of that moot to me.

mgk920

Why is it happening?  IMHO, it's still the classic American 'melting pot' running at full throttle - and people are now more apt to intermarry/intermingle than they were a couple of generations ago.  Also, immigration, both legal and illegal, from many places other than Europe.

Why do we care?  I personally couldn't care less, but there are many who follow the 'divide and conquer' theory of power, trying to divide various this and that ancestral and other interest groups into hostile camps and then using that for political gain.  Very distressing, IMHO.

Mike

Alps

I think there are some great answers in here but this is an unnecessary topic for a roads forum.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.