News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Nashua Circumferential Highway

Started by BridgesToIdealism, July 14, 2020, 10:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Future of the Nashua Circumferential Highway

Do nothing
1 (8.3%)
Complete the eastern Nashua/Hudson bypass including the new Merrimack River Bridge
5 (41.7%)
Demolish & replace the existing Merrimack River Bridges and downgrade the route to a street, with an at-grade crossing of D.W. Highway
0 (0%)
Leave the expressway stub intact, but reconfigure/replace the 3-level stack at the western terminus, and also eliminate the dangerous merges to and from Spit Brook Road
2 (16.7%)
Just build the new Merrimack River Bridge between the Taylor Falls Bridge and the Airport Connector, but not the rest of the loop
1 (8.3%)
Completely demolish/remove the existing highway stub without replacement
1 (8.3%)
Do both options 4 & 5
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

BridgesToIdealism

Since it doesn't look like that this has been discussed recently, lets start a thread about it. The short 2-mile spur from the Everett Turnpike over the Merrimack River to NH-3A in Hudson is known as the "Circumferential Highway" but it is anything but circumferential. Apparently the original plans called for an eastern bypass of Nashua and Hudson that would also then provide a new Merrimack River crossing between the Taylor Falls Bridge on NH-111 in Nashua and the Interstate 293 Bridge in Manchester (at the time of the original proposals, the new Manchester Airport Connector Bridge was not yet built). The highway was apparently supposed to reconnect with the Everett Turnpike at an unbuilt exit 9.

The road that exists today is nothing more than a connector route between the mainline turnpike (US 3) and NH-3A on the other side of the Merrimack River. The twin-span steel stringer bridge at the river crossing replaced a previous bridge known as the Sagamore Bridge, and also crosses an abandoned or nearly abandoned railroad line, and also carries a future segment of the Rockingham Recreational Trail. It is not signed with any name or designation, and is instead indicated by "TO NH 3A/NH 111" and "TO Everett Turnpike/US 3". There is one single intermediate access point to the D.W. Highway immediately on the west side of the river.

Given that it does not appear likely that the remainder of the highway will ever be finished by any stretch of the imagination, what are people's thoughts on the existing two-mile stub? The bridge over the Merrimack River at this location is most certainly necessary, and frankly an additional crossing near where the highway was supposed to tie back in with the turnpike is also needed (the gap between the Taylor Falls Bridge and the Manchester Airport Connector makes navigating the river valley in the Merrimack-Litchfield area next to impossible). However, having a full six lane expressway to serve as the river crossing here seems a bit excessive, as does the massive three-level stack interchange at the western terminus of the spur/stub (which also has a couple dangerous entrance merges).

Please indicate your opinions in the poll.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

hotdogPi

My idea: connect the Circumferential Highway with MA 213 (thread here)

I can't seem to find the later thread about it (if it exists; searching for my new topics on/near the Flickr upload date doesn't return anything), but here's a picture:

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SectorZ

What about the option to continue the Circumcision Highway* as a super-2 up to 111 east of Hudson center. The town tried for that  but the feds nor state will kick in money to help. They already own all the land along the stretch from buying it 70 years ago.

*unofficial name given to it by Hudson residents.

cl94

Quote from: SectorZ on July 14, 2020, 12:34:41 PM
What about the option to continue the Circumcision Highway* as a super-2 up to 111 east of Hudson center. The town tried for that  but the feds nor state will kick in money to help. They already own all the land along the stretch from buying it 70 years ago.

That is definitely the most realistic build option.

Keeping that in mind, I expect this to remain as a stub for another 40+ years.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

It's arguably not even a stub at this point.  From the ground, the carriageways flow perfectly into the half-SPUI, with no visible exiting onto a freeway ramp.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

What the town studied was not a Super-2 per se but instead a 35 MPH roadway.

hbelkins

Is this the proposed freeway that showed up for years on Rand McNally atlases?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on July 15, 2020, 01:18:01 PM
Is this the proposed freeway that showed up for years on Rand McNally atlases?

Correct.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SectorZ

Quote from: froggie on July 14, 2020, 11:03:56 PM

What the town studied was not a Super-2 per se but instead a 35 MPH roadway.

My apologies, you are 100% correct on that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.