News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Guess That Bridge thread!

Started by MCRoads, July 20, 2020, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BridgesToIdealism

That's the original Keokuk-Hamilton Bridge over the Mississippi River. If I recall correctly, that bridge was originally a double-decker road/rail bridge with a toll highway, similar to the still-operating Fort Madison Bridge. Not sure if the railroad portion still exists, but I know that the highway deck was removed when the new girder bridge was built to bypass it, but one of the approaches was reused as an overlook.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

Jim

Correct!  My full page of pictures from the day I took the two I posted are at https://www.teresco.org/pics/chitostl-20130625-27/27/keokuk.html .
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

MCRoads

Quote from: Jim on July 16, 2021, 12:36:40 PM
I offer two pictures of the same bridge.

Hey, I have been on that bridge!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

BridgesToIdealism

kphoger

Quote from: plain on July 15, 2021, 06:46:11 PM
Damn... so basically if someone were to just throw a lit cigarette into a drain then.... BOOM??!!!??!!

Highly unlikely.  Cigarettes only get hot enough to ignite gasoline when they're being smoked.  The entire trip from the person's mouth through the air and down the drain, it would be cooling off precipitously.

I worked with a guy who said that, during his time in the army in Iraq, he and his fellow soldiers would occasionally flick lit cigarettes into buckets of gasoline to put them out.

Remember, kids:  Just because something happens in the movies, that doesn't mean it happens in real life.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I don't know the name of the bridge BridgesToIdealism posted, but I'm pretty sure this is the location on Martha's Vineyard (directly below where it says "Eastville Point Beach").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2021, 12:02:20 PM
I don't know the name of the bridge BridgesToIdealism posted, but I'm pretty sure this is the location on Martha's Vineyard (directly below where it says "Eastville Point Beach").

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

plain

I was looking all over the place in New England (including Cape Cod!) and somehow skipped over Martha's Vineyard  :crazy:
Newark born, Richmond bred

Jim

The Massachusetts town line sign on the bridge that's visible but not readable in the picture put me right into Massachusetts, but I didn't have much to go on to narrow it further..
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

kphoger

At any rate, we should still wait till |BridgesToIdealism| confirms before |1995hoo| makes a play.
Male pronouns, please.

BridgesToIdealism

1995hoo got it. As noted in the picture of the plaque, the bridge is officially the Korean and Vietnam Veterans Memorial Bridge, but still commonly known as the Lagoon Pond Bridge, which was the name of the original bridge at this location. This is one of only three actively operating single-leaf bascule highway bridges that I know of (the others being the Neil R. Underwood/Hampton Harbor Bridge and some bridge in northeastern Michigan that I don't know the name of).

For the record, I intentionally distorted the photo to blur the name on the Town Line sign - it's clearly visible in the original photo. Since I know that MA has distinctive signs like that, this was one of those where a hint was contained within the picture itself.

1995hoo

I'll upload a picture tomorrow. Thanks for confirming. The town line sign is the main thing that helped me get it because I recognized the style as being from Massachusetts.

1995hoo

Another one that's way too easy. My wife took this picture as I was driving.

plain

Lol Oldtown Low Water bridge over the Potomac. I actually thought about posting it before too but like you said, too easy.

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on July 22, 2021, 12:30:49 PM
Lol Oldtown Low Water bridge over the Potomac. I actually thought about posting it before too but like you said, too easy.

Of course. I just didn't have something better readily available. You're up next.

plain

Image from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

BridgesToIdealism

Is that the Ernest Vandiver Causeway between Georgia and Alabama? I feel like I recognize that oddball pier on the right...

plain

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on July 26, 2021, 07:07:11 PM
Is that the Ernest Vandiver Causeway between Georgia and Alabama? I feel like I recognize that oddball pier on the right...

Just when I was thinking about a hint, you came through with the correct answer :-D

BridgesToIdealism

That distinctive pier that stands out from all the others (plus the abutment stubs underneath it) always make that bridge instantly recognizable for me.

Anyway, let's try to make this a little bit harder. This bridge is NOT in New England (or even the Northeast, for that matter).

kevinb1994

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on July 27, 2021, 05:28:32 PM
That distinctive pier that stands out from all the others (plus the abutment stubs underneath it) always make that bridge instantly recognizable for me.

Anyway, let's try to make this a little bit harder. This bridge is NOT in New England (or even the Northeast, for that matter).
Central Canal Trail Bridge next to College Avenue in Indy.

1995hoo

The name of the apartment complex was a dead giveaway.

dlsterner

The "Naptown Thrift" bumper sticker stuck onto the bridge was another clue.

kevinb1994

Quote from: dlsterner on July 27, 2021, 07:39:52 PM
Heh, did not see that. But the apartment complex made me want to do a Google search.

BridgesToIdealism

Darn it! Guess my attempt to make this more challenging didn't work. Oh well.

plain

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 27, 2021, 10:57:59 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on July 27, 2021, 07:39:52 PM
Heh, did not see that. But the apartment complex made me want to do a Google search.

Don't forget to post a bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.