News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unpopular opinions (non road related)

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 30, 2021, 09:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Video games are better than tv shows and movies
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CoreySamson

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2021, 09:59:31 PM
I second this. I only watch maybe 30 minutes of TV a month, maybe less.

- I actually like wintertime.
- Taco Bell is legitimately good (and cheap!)
- Pineapple belongs on pizza.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2021, 09:59:31 PM

Video games are a waste of money and time.

ozarkman417

Bruce

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 30, 2021, 11:01:11 PM

Taco Bell isn't cheap anymore. Local joints will always beat them out on price, and especially on quality.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on March 30, 2021, 11:24:52 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on March 30, 2021, 11:01:11 PM

Taco Bell isn't cheap anymore. Local joints will always beat them out on price, and especially on quality.

Taco Bell is heathen Mexican Food that pales in comparison to the real thing.

TheHighwayMan3561

The chili cheese burritos are still fantastic, but I get the impression the TB franchises that still carry them are trying a stealth-phaseout by making them too expensive to be worth the price in order to get people to stop buying them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kkt

Last video game I played was about 20 years ago.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kkt on March 31, 2021, 01:00:05 AM

Video games went downhill after 1994.  That's my very unpopular opinion!
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 31, 2021, 06:14:27 AM
Quote from: kkt on March 31, 2021, 01:00:05 AM

Video games went downhill after 1994.  That's my very unpopular opinion!

Nothing is going to beat Doom and Super Metroid in my opinion so I concur. 

The last "new"  game I bought was in 2009.  I bought a couple older Nintendo games since that time but really I lost interest in playing them like I did in school.  The really old games are nice to pick up if I'm sick or have friends/family over. 

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Takumi on March 31, 2021, 08:26:05 AM
Sandwiches are boring and overrated.

Sandwich, IL is pretty boring, though I'm not sure it's highly rated by many.  :-P

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2021, 11:29:07 PM

Taco Bell is in no way authentic Mexican food.  Of course not.  But that isn't why I go there.

Our best friends have been living in southern Coahuila as missionaries, and they just returned a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the birth of their third child.  Over at church small group Sunday evening, we were all deciding on dinners for the next several weeks, and one suggestion was to have tacos.  Her eyes lit up with excitement, and she exclaimed, American-style tacos?  I love that idea!  We haven't had American-style tacos in ages!  With all the toppings too, like lettuce and cheese and...

Just because it isn't authentic Mexican food, that doesn't mean it's no good.  Similar to Chicago-style deep dish pizza, which bears little resemblance to any pizza found in Italy, but which I love nonetheless.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Taco Bell isn't cheap anymore.

Depends what you get.

One of my favorite items to order is a bean burrito with seasoned rice added, which comes to only $1.59 plus tax.

Sometimes after church, our family stops by the drive-through to pick up a soft taco party pack, which is a dozen tacos for $13.99, and it can feed our family of five.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 11:22:56 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2021, 11:29:07 PM

Taco Bell is in no way authentic Mexican food.  Of course not.  But that isn't why I go there.

Our best friends have been living in southern Coahuila as missionaries, and they just returned a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the birth of their third child.  Over at church small group Sunday evening, we were all deciding on dinners for the next several weeks, and one suggestion was to have tacos.  Her eyes lit up with excitement, and she exclaimed, American-style tacos?  I love that idea!  We haven't had American-style tacos in ages!  With all the toppings too, like lettuce and cheese and...

Just because it isn't authentic Mexican food, that doesn't mean it's no good.  Similar to Chicago-style deep dish pizza, which bears little resemblance to any pizza found in Italy, but which I love nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Taco Bell isn't edible but it ain't real Mexican food either.  I eat Taco Bell every now and then, I definitely don't have any complaints about the menu myself.  However, given I'm also part of an extended family which by way of marriage that is largely Hispanic I do have regular access to authentic Mexican dishes.  My preference would be to have the authentic stuff (which is also accessible at a Taco Trucks and restaurants around me) over something like Taco Bell or a similar fast food chain.  That said, I do tend to roll my eyes at my own family members in the Midwest which seem to have Taco Bell as some sort of weird fixation. 

Conversely I'll eat things like Little Caesar's but I still would prefer something more grandiose out of my pizza if I had the choice. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2021, 11:35:59 AM
My preference would be to have the authentic stuff (which is also accessible at a Taco Trucks and restaurants around me) over something like Taco Bell or a similar fast food chain.  That said, I do tend to roll my eyes at my own family members in the Midwest which seem to have Taco Bell as some sort of weird fixation.

I guess my point is that it doesn't "pale in comparison to the real thing" because, in my mind at least, they're two different types of food.  One is Mexican food and the other is American-Mexican food.  No point in trying to compare them, any more than comparing Panda Express to food in China.
Male pronouns, please.

CoreySamson

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 11:28:43 AM
Taco Bell isn't cheap anymore.

Depends what you get.

One of my favorite items to order is a bean burrito with seasoned rice added, which comes to only $1.59 plus tax.

Sometimes after church, our family stops by the drive-through to pick up a soft taco party pack, which is a dozen tacos for $13.99, and it can feed our family of five.

Yeah I got lunch there the other day for just $3.25 (3 burritos and 25 cents of tax). It's not authentic Mexican food, as others have said, but it's cheap and tasty.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

interstatefan990

Here we go:

-Brushing your teeth in the morning is unnecessary and overrated. I've pretty much never done it since I was a kid and my dentist has never found a problem with my teeth.
-Driving should be a right and not a privilege, it's simply too necessary for everyday life in much of the country. Doesn't mean we shouldn't take dangerous drivers off of the road though, liberty is a right but you can still go to jail.
-Not sure how many people agree, but 68° is an ideal room temperature.
-80% of what kids are learning in school today has become obsolete because of Google and technology and now their time is just being wasted.
-No person should be richer than 1 billion dollars.
-I don't really care about the lyrics of a song if the sound and beat is good.
-A college degree should not be a requirement for a high-paying job.
-Seriously injuring or killing a dog should be punishable by 5-10 years in prison.
-Black coffee is disgusting.
-Curfews should be banned. Being outside is not a crime.
-Truck drivers should go through a more advanced psychological exam in order to start trucking. Road raging in a huge rig is 10x as dangerous as in a car and I have personally been put in danger before by it.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

kphoger

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 12:57:25 PM
Driving should be a right and not a privilege, it's simply too necessary for everyday life in much of the country. Doesn't mean we shouldn't take dangerous drivers off of the road though, liberty is a right but you can still go to jail.

What does that mean, exactly?  Does it mean you shouldn't need to have a license to drive?  Or that you shouldn't have to pass an exam to get a license?  In other words, what would be different in your scenario compared to now?

Seriously injuring or killing a dog should be punishable by 5-10 years in prison.

My own unpopular opinion:  Pets are overrated.  They're just animals, like bigger versions of moles and rats–except that we allow them into our homes, take them to doctors, and get mad if anyone mistreats them.  I'll never understand people's pets holding them back from doing something they want.  Can't move into a certain house because it's not right for your pet?  Easy, get rid of your pet, problem solved.

Black coffee is disgusting.

Curfews should be banned. Being outside is not a crime.

I agree with both of these.
Male pronouns, please.

interstatefan990

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 01:25:56 PM
Driving should be a right and not a privilege, it's simply too necessary for everyday life in much of the country. Doesn't mean we shouldn't take dangerous drivers off of the road though, liberty is a right but you can still go to jail.

What does that mean, exactly?  Does it mean you shouldn't need to have a license to drive?  Or that you shouldn't have to pass an exam to get a license?  In other words, what would be different in your scenario compared to now?

You should still need a license to drive and pass a road test, that's simply proving to your state that you are able to do it in the first place. I just think states shouldn't be able to take away driving from someone over things like not paying child support or taxes, or getting a few too many tickets in a certain time period. I guess the difference in my scenario would be that the government would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are not fit to drive and should not be on the road, just like they have to do in criminal cases. At the very least, special consideration must be given to the impact on one's life before suspending or revoking a license. The threshold must be higher.

Quote from: kphoger
My own unpopular opinion:  Pets are overrated.  They're just animals, like bigger versions of moles and rats–except that we allow them into our homes, take them to doctors, and get mad if anyone mistreats them.  I'll never understand people's pets holding them back from doing something they want.  Can't move into a certain house because it's not right for your pet?  Easy, get rid of your pet, problem solved.

Well, some people (myself included) see pets as family members. Having a pet, especially a dog, can be very beneficial to one's mental health and reduce feelings of loneliness. There's something special about just having this little companion that's always excited to see you or up to play or run around. They're not really as tangible as "get rid of them" , unless they're really old and aren't going to be around much longer anyway. You'd get mad if someone hit a sibling of yours, right? It's sort of the same feeling with a pet.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

kphoger

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 01:59:24 PM
You should still need a license to drive and pass a road test, that's simply proving to your state that you are able to do it in the first place. I just think states shouldn't be able to take away driving from someone over things like not paying child support or taxes, or getting a few too many tickets in a certain time period. I guess the difference in my scenario would be that the government would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are not fit to drive and should not be on the road, just like they have to do in criminal cases. At the very least, special consideration must be given to the impact on one's life before suspending or revoking a license. The threshold must be higher.

I agree that a DL shouldn't be taken away from things that are not driving-related.  However, "tickets in a certain time period" could be a reasonable proxy for determining who is a safe driver and who is not, and a person should be able to appeal a DL suspension/revocation.

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 01:59:24 PM
Well, some people (myself included) see pets as family members. Having a pet, especially a dog, can be very beneficial to one's mental health and reduce feelings of loneliness. There's something special about just having this little companion that's always excited to see you or up to play or run around. They're not really as tangible as "get rid of them" , unless they're really old and aren't going to be around much longer anyway. You'd get mad if someone hit a sibling of yours, right? It's sort of the same feeling with a pet.

Yep, I understand that many people are like that.  I'm just not one of them.

(By the way, "unless they're really old and aren't going to be around much longer anyway" might betray just a touch of hypocrisy.  Would you have a problem if I said I had gotten rid of my sister just because she was really old and not going to be around much longer anyway?  I assume that would bother you, which means pets aren't quite the same as family members, even to you.)
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

The written word is preferable to audio or video of the same content. I would much rather read a transcript of an interview, or a summary, than have to sit through a 30-minute YouTube video.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on March 31, 2021, 03:03:40 PM
The written word is preferable to audio or video of the same content. I would much rather read a transcript of an interview, or a summary, than have to sit through a 30-minute YouTube video.

FiveThirtyEight does some podcasts, and every article they do allows comments. Podcasts receive few comments, but the most common comment that isn't about the article subject itself or "make money from home" is about wanting a transcript so they don't have to spend 30 minutes listening to it. When they finally did do one with a transcript (this one), two people praised it (one comment plus a reply). Unfortunately, it's not a new normal.

Your opinion is not unpopular.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

Here we go:

-Brushing your teeth in the morning is unnecessary and overrated. I've pretty much never done it since I was a kid and my dentist has never found a problem with my teeth.

Whereas since I've been working from home, I now normally brush my teeth three times a day (morning, after lunch, and at night) and when I went to the dentist for a cleaning last month, he seemed to do considerably less picking and scraping with that sharp metal thing. Reducing that is a very good thing from my point of view! (I normally floss only at night, though, unless I get something caught between my teeth and it starts getting on my nerves.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.