News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Major sports annoyances

Started by Billy F 1988, May 01, 2021, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

I know there are a lot of minor annoyances. I'm wondering from everyone now what your MAJOR annoyances in sports are. That one thing that rubs you so wrong, you want to chuck your remote at the TV, or cuss at it, however that goes.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Roadgeekteen

When refs throw the flag too much. Let them play, ain't nobody wants to see a million penalties.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

When a play-by-play calls anyone a "hero" or "heroic". Unless it was Jim Rice running into the stands to help a child railed by a line drive 40 years ago, it's misguided to use.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on May 01, 2021, 08:36:01 PM
When a play-by-play calls anyone a "hero" or "heroic". Unless it was Jim Rice running into the stands to help a child railed by a line drive 40 years ago, it's misguided to use.
I don't see a problem as long as it's a spectacular play. Just don't overuse it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

basketball: i like the option for the team being fouled to keep the ball instead of shooting 2. because my major annoyance is the last 2 minutes of the game.
baseball: the &^%!*@$#(*! runner on 2nd rule. i have no idea why COVID justifies it. even worse than the 7 inning doubleheader.
hockey: nothing. love this sport.
football: the patriots and goodell

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on May 01, 2021, 09:22:57 PM
basketball: i like the option for the team being fouled to keep the ball instead of shooting 2. because my major annoyance is the last 2 minutes of the game.
baseball: the &^%!*@$#(*! runner on 2nd rule. i have no idea why COVID justifies it. even worse than the 7 inning doubleheader.
Hey we don't even have Brady anymore!

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 01, 2021, 09:36:48 PM
I will always and forever hate football for how New England ruined it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on May 01, 2021, 09:52:46 PM
Jealous

SSOWorld

Baseball: The designated hitter
Football: Brady - and the patriots (yes they separated, but they both are still on my shitlist)
Basketball: I second alps on the dragging out of the game through fouling, but the worst is the goddam possession arrow.  Whatever happened to the randomness of the jump ball?  If this is necessary, it should then be known that Hockey should drop face-offs and go with a restart as similar as possible to the out-of-bounds throw-in of soccer or basketball with possession arrows.
Speaking of futbol - Flopping.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 01, 2021, 10:05:58 PM
Quote from: Alps on May 01, 2021, 09:52:46 PM
Jealous
Yeah, hating football has made my life easier. You should try it. Start by hating Belicheat.

Bruce

When overtime in another sport is not accounted for in the TV broadcast, bumping the next game to another channel that no one has. Looking at you, NASCAR and baseball.

Soccer: MLS has, until recently, not disclosed actual kickoff times for games. At least this season they've started listing times.

Also soccer: Lack of adequate coverage on sports talk radio despite comparable fandom sizes in the Seattle metro area.

thspfc

At this point I'm not sure if Alps is joking, or looking for a reason to hate the Patriots. Either way it's funny how hard he tries.

SP Cook

Major? 

NCAA - The constant yammer about paying the players.  Anybody who has gone to college, particularly in health care or gotten an advanced degree knows that uncompensated work for the school is part of it.  Difference being the reward at the end is not millions of $$, but just a job.  The main point is if the PC talking heads at ESPN, et al, really believe the idiocy they are spewing, then maybe they should stop being a part of the system, and find a real job.

MLB - The whole idea that the game needs sped up, modified, whatever.  Nope. 

Pacific Time Zone - 16% of people live there.  76% live in the eastern or central.  First pitch in playoff baseball, World Series, playoffs in other sports, anything really, should be 7 ET.  No exceptions.

Sunday Night Football - Late afternoon game starts at 4:25 ET.  4:25 + 3 = 7:25.  The game starts a 8:25.  An hour of filler programming and highlights of games we just watched.  Totally kills the buzz.  Start SNF at 8:00.

Flint1979

I can't stand the runner on 2nd for extra innings or the 7 inning doubleheaders I think both are stupid for baseball.

For hockey I love the sport the way it is. I love the Original Six teams even though I'm a Blackhawks fan I'll support one of the other five Original Six teams if the Hawks have been knocked out of the playoffs and one of the other five Original Six teams are still involved in that years playoffs. I've rooted for Boston and Detroit a lot of times and it's the only sport I will watch until the end even if my team isn't in it. In the other sports I stop watching as soon as my team's season is done.

For football I can't stand the Patriots and I'm a University of Michigan fan that can't figure out why everyone loves Tom Brady so much. I don't like him at all and I hate the Patriots.

The only team I actually hate is the Chicago Cubs because I can't for the life of me figure out the love affair for that team regardless of their exposure on WGN and Wrigley Field being Wrigley Field I never understand what was so special about that place or the team. I had always liked the White Sox and when Frank Thomas came aboard in 1990 it was over for me I became a diehard White Sox fan.

Steve Lyons pulling his pants down to dust them off at Tiger Stadium on Monday Night Baseball was classic. I was at the game.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on May 02, 2021, 08:56:21 AM
At this point I'm not sure if Alps is joking, or looking for a reason to hate the Patriots. Either way it's funny how hard he tries.
Go Tuck Rule yourself

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on May 02, 2021, 08:56:21 AM
I think he's a Jets fan.

gonealookin

My major annoyance is the cost to park in the stadium lot.  I think that's a minimum of $30 at just about every major league baseball park that has its own lot, often more, and nearby private lots usually save only a little.  Multiply that by 81 home dates and by X,000 cars per night in the lot, man what a racket to be in.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: gonealookin on May 02, 2021, 05:14:44 PM
My major annoyance is the cost to park in the stadium lot.  I think that's a minimum of $30 at just about every major league baseball park that has its own lot, often more, and nearby private lots usually save only a little.  Multiply that by 81 home dates and by X,000 cars per night in the lot, man what a racket to be in.
Isn't parking in the city always expensive?

CNGL-Leudimin

The way American sports are set up. It doesn't give any chances for smaller cities to become world famous just because they have a team in a major league, like it happens in Europe. Huesca, Spain is one example, but perhaps the most prominent one is Hoffenheim, Germany; an otherwise unremarkable village without even its own council, instead depending on neighboring Sinsheim.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

gonealookin

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 02, 2021, 05:23:01 PM
Quote from: gonealookin on May 02, 2021, 05:14:44 PM
Isn't parking in the city always expensive?

Many businesses trying to attract customers offer some sort of offset for the parking...such as "Park in the 3rd Avenue Garage and we'll give you validation for 2 hours free parking with a minimum $25 purchase".  No such deal at a stadium; you have to pay full fare for the parking even before you get an opportunity to relax in your $75 seat with a $15 beer.

1995hoo

Applicable to all sports: When officiating is inconsistent within a single game. I can make some allowance for different officials seeing things differently in different games, but if you're going to call something as a penalty on one team, call it the same way when the other team does the same thing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ilpt4u

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 02, 2021, 05:28:04 PM
The way American sports are set up. It doesn't give any chances for smaller cities to become world famous just because they have a team in a major league, like it happens in Europe. Huesca, Spain is one example, but perhaps the most prominent one is Hoffenheim, Germany; an otherwise unremarkable village without even its own council, instead depending on neighboring Sinsheim.
Green Bay, Wisconsin  :wave:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 02, 2021, 06:05:36 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 02, 2021, 05:28:04 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin  :wave:
A legacy from a different time.

tchafe1978

My major annoyance is when a certain start quarterback makes it known that he no longer wants to play for his team because he feels slighted by said team over a draft pick last year that he wasn't consulted on. Look, the GM and the coach run the team, not the player. You just had the season of your life, so obviously it motivated you. Your team was a couple plays one way or the other from making the Super Bowl, so suck it up, buttercup, get back out there, and lead your team back to the promised land. You're only one member of the team. Oh, and don't even get me started on all  the drama going on in the media about it all. It wouldn't surprise me if either a reporter looking to break the next big story spilled something he shouldn't have, or if it was said player's agent trying to blow things up in hopes of a new contract. Even though the GM and coach have said they've made trips to meet with the player, so there must be a little something going on, but the player hasn't even made a public statement yet. Let's just wait to hear what he says, shall we?

ran4sh

The debate between "best" and "most deserving" (players, teams, etc). Mathematically, a "best" team/player would be the same thing as a "most deserving" (i.e. the team at the top of the league standings, or division standings, etc). But media acts as if they are the arbiter of truth, and that their opinion of which team is "best" has any relevance and can be compared to the mathematical best team (which the media instead calls "most deserving").

And especially in college sports, margin of victory should not even be part of that debate. The goal of a game is to win, not to arbitrarily score as many points as possible. That's why I always supported the BCS policy that BCS computer rankings must ignore margin of victory.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.