Going north-south on evens or east-west on odds

Started by jaehak, July 30, 2021, 03:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaehak

Not sure if this topic exists. Today it occurred to me that one could get from I-8 to I-96 using only even numbered 2DIs (concurrencies with odd are ok, but odds alone or 3DIs are cheating).

8 east to 10 in AZ
10 east to 20 in TX
20 east to 30 in TX
30 east to 40 in AR
40 west to 44 in OK
44 east to 64 in MO
64 west to 70 in IL
70 east to 76 in PA
76 west to 80 in OH
80 west to 90 in OH
90 west to 94 in IN
94 east to 96 in MI

Obviously you could also use much of this route to get an indirect path from San Diego to Boston using only evens as well.

Any other cool routes like this? What's the best that can be done with odd numbers? Obviously there's no way to get from 5 to 95 without an even numbered road, unless there's a mix with US/state highways to do so.

SkyPesos

Chicago to Milwaukee (N-S) on an even 2di
NYC to Providence (E-W) on an odd 2di
Charleston SC to Kingsport (N-S) on an even 2di

Evan_Th

Quote from: jaehak on July 30, 2021, 03:06:29 PM
Any other cool routes like this? What's the best that can be done with odd numbers? Obviously there's no way to get from 5 to 95 without an even numbered road, unless there's a mix with US/state highways to do so.

Going only on interstates...  Draw a line straight up from Laredo (the southern end of I-35), and you'll find it's only crossed by even interstates.  Extend the western border of New Mexico, and you'll find the same thing.  So, you can't get cross-country.

But if we pretend I-69 is complete, you can get from the farthest east point on the interstate system (I-95 in Maine) to Laredo.  Take 95 south to 85, 85 south to 65 in Montgomery, 65 north to 69 in Indianapolis, 69 south to 37 in Corpus Christi, 37 north to 35 in San Antonio, 35 south to Laredo.

Without 69, you couldn't do this, because no odd-numbered interstates cross the Mississippi and connect to another odd-numbered interstate that continues on the other side.  Unfortunately, completing I-57 won't be an alternative, because the only other odd-numbered interstate it connects to anywhere is I-55.

kphoger

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 30, 2021, 03:12:27 PM

That doesn't seem to have much at all to do with the OP.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on July 30, 2021, 03:53:34 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 30, 2021, 03:12:27 PM

That doesn't seem to have much at all to do with the OP.

Sure it does.  They're just trivial cases.

I'll add another trivial case: Port Huron to Lansing on I-69 (e/w on an odd 2di).

kphoger

The OP is about how to get from a low- and even-numbered route to a high- and even-numbered route using only even-numbered routes.

Those examples didn't even say what routes are being reached at all.  "Chicago to Milwaukee (N-S) on an even 2di" doesn't even reach another even 2di, so how can it possibly fit?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

One can go border to border on an even-numbered US Route (US 62) :bigass:.

I believe at one point it was possible to go coast-to-coast using only odd-numbered US Routes. It doesn't work anymore, as US 91 no longer reaches Long Beach.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

english si

The only two N-S interstates that meet out west are I-11 and I-15, so I think we have to start with I-29 as our westernmost N-S interstate

I-29 -> I-35 -> I-45 -> I-69 (gap of 40).

Lets start in the east and work back:

I-95 -> I-85 -> I-65 -> I-59 (gap of 36).

And in the middle you can do I-39 -> I-55 -> I-69 (gap of 30).

jaehak

I found one possible coast to coast route on US and state highways, from US 1 to US 101. It involves 3 digit US highways because they mainly save the same purpose as 2 digit ones, unlike interstates. There are a few local roads involved too. Any possible routes using only odd numbered highways without local roads?

US 1
US 41 N Miami 
US 79 S Guthrie, KY
US 287 N Palestine, TX
US 89 S Moran, WY
US 91 N Logan, UT
Sunnyside Road E Idaho Falls
Holmes Ave N, Idaho Falls
Holmes becomes 5th street then N 3400 E
800 N East, Menan, ID
3600 E North
Butte Road N
ID 33 S, Rexburg, ID
Little Lost River Highway N, Howe, ID, becomes Pahsimeroi Road
US 93 S, Ellis, ID
US 95 N, Las Vegas
US 195 N, Uniontown, WA
US 395 S, Spokane, WA
CA 299 S (really west, this one feels cheap), Alturas CA
US 101, Arcata, CA

CNGL-Leudimin

Prior to 1964 one could have gone South from Logan on US 91 all the way to Long Beach. This proves it was possible at one time to go coast-to-coast on odd-numbered routes as I said above. Now the chain pretty much breaks at I-15.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Hobart

This isn't like, an actual routing thing, but loosely related.

In Calumet City, Illinois 83 runs east and west, while being signed north and south. It intersects Interstate 94, which runs north and south while being signed as east and west.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Evan_Th

Quote from: Hobart on August 01, 2021, 12:13:57 AM

In Calumet City, Illinois 83 runs east and west, while being signed north and south. It intersects Interstate 94, which runs north and south while being signed as east and west.

Similarly in Durham, we have NC 55 running north-south, signed east-west; intersecting NC 147 (the Durham Freeway) running east-west, signed north-south.  https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9845927,-78.9070645,14z

TheStranger

Quote from: Hobart on August 01, 2021, 12:13:57 AM

A pair of California examples:

The north-south Route 13 in Berkeley goes east-west (along former Route 24) while intersection I-580/I-80 (wrong-way east-west concurrency) which is heading north-south at that point!  (Though prior to 1984, Route 17, a north-south road, was concurrent with 80 and before that, US 40)

In that vein, the MacArthur Freeway runs north-south yet has always been signed east-west as US 50 and I-580 and even when it was I-5W briefly - not sure its connection to Route 24 (going north-south in that area but signed east-west) was built at the time 5W existed.

Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.