News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Metro areas with the most and fewest households using air conditioning

Started by Bruce, June 26, 2021, 05:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

From The Seattle Times using 2019 ACS data collected by the Census Bureau:

(This is why Seattle is in a state of emergency)

bing101

That's interesting to see San Francisco and Seattle to be in the lowest with AC units. I know in the case of San Francisco once you go to the outer suburbs such as Walnut Creek and Pleasanton then the percentage of homes with AC would increase due to the city being away from the Bay or coast ranges.

Max Rockatansky

Do they consider swamp coolers to be AC?   That might explain the data from Phoenix.

SkyPesos

I knew Seattle is the least air conditioned metro, but thought Portland would be a close second, not 34% higher than Seattle's percentage.
LA is surprisingly low imo.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 26, 2021, 05:33:42 PM
I knew Seattle is the least air conditioned metro, but thought Portland would be a close second, not 34% higher than Seattle's percentage.

Los Angeles can be surprisingly temperate the closer you are to the water. 

Roadgeekteen

Around here, most places have AC but a lot of our schools don't. This can be a problem near the beginning and end of our school years.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2021, 05:31:00 PM
Do they consider swamp coolers to be AC?   That might explain the data from Phoenix.

Most homes in Phoenix now use conventional refrigerated air conditioning.  Tucson on the other hand swamp coolers are more common.

I wonder where does Albuquerque rank.  Swamp coolers are very common in Albuquerque.

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 26, 2021, 06:35:57 PM
Around here, most places have AC but a lot of our schools don't. This can be a problem near the beginning and end of our school years.
Air conditioning in schools needs to be required by law in states where the temperature frequently gets above 80 degrees.

dlsterner

Quote from: thspfc on June 27, 2021, 09:11:22 AM
Air conditioning in schools needs to be required by law in states where the temperature frequently gets above 80 degrees.
When I was growing up in the Florida Panhandle, neither the elementary school nor the junior high school I attended had air conditioning.  (This was late 1960s and early 1970s). As you would expect, it was pretty rough in the early part and the late part of the school year.  My high school was in a newer building and was fully air conditioned.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on June 27, 2021, 09:11:22 AM

Why?  People existed in warm climates way before modernized air conditioning was even a thing.  We managed to survive the two weeks when it was approaching 110F in Fresno when our AC was down this month.  Even now we keep the house at 82F, we used to keep it at 85F. 

Interestingly all the Naval installations I worked in at Florida had a mandate for the same 82F temperature setting  as a form of regional energy conservation. 

1995hoo

None of the schools I attended were air-conditioned with the exception of some rooms (the fifth and sixth-grade wing of my second elementary school, which was a wing added well after the original building was completed, and the planetarium in my high school). We dealt with it–all the teachers had multiple box fans and would close the blinds and turn off the lights during the hottest parts of the day (although turning off the lights didn't do much because they were the ubiquitous fluorescent tubes that didn't throw off much heat). The worst year in that respect was probably third grade since the classroom was upstairs on the south side of my first elementary school, meaning it got the worst of the heat.

Not having AC was actually worst during that period of April and early May when the mornings are still somewhat cooler but the afternoons are hot. My mom made us wear long pants based on whether she thought the morning was too cold for shorts, rather than the weather forecast. Made for some miserable afternoons. September has hotter weather in general, but the mornings aren't as cool so there was never an issue of being overdressed. (For whatever reason, as kids the idea of sneaking a pair of shorts into our backpacks and changing at school never occurred to us.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ozarkman417

Before my third grade year, most rooms in my school did not have AC, only a select few rooms did. One day where temps exceeded 90 late in my second grade year, the school released students two hours early because the administration deemed it unsafe for students to be in the building in such hot conditions without AC. Over that summer, AC was installed to the whole building.

1995hoo

Thinking further about this, I'm thankful we had AC during fifth and sixth grades. Reason: No showers available after phys ed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

I don't recall there ever being an AC unit in any K-12 school I attended in Michigan or Connecticut. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 27, 2021, 01:11:32 PM
I don't recall there ever being an AC unit in any K-12 school I attended in Michigan or Connecticut.
Newer schools tend to have them, also recently renovated schools. My elementary school, 6th grade school (in Needham 6th grade is its own school), and high school (although it didn't work well half the time) had AC, but my middle school only had it in a few classrooms.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 27, 2021, 01:21:21 PM
Newer schools tend to have them, also recently renovated schools. My elementary school, 6th grade school (in Needham 6th grade is its own school), and high school (although it didn't work well half the time) had AC, but my middle school only had it in a few classrooms.

That's the thing, our new high school (north of Lansing) was opened in 1999 during my Junior year.  It definitely did not have AC units in any of the classes rooms.  I believe the gym and weight facility were the parts of the building that had it. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 27, 2021, 01:26:43 PM

That's the thing, our new high school (north of Lansing) was opened in 1999 during my Junior year.  It definitely did not have AC units in any of the classes rooms.  I believe the gym and weight facility were the parts of the building that had it.
Michigan is a bit cooler than Massachusetts.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 27, 2021, 01:37:00 PM

The climate data for Lansing and Boston very similar.  Southern Michigan is very mild, or least more than popular perception would have you believe.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 27, 2021, 01:41:53 PM

The climate data for Lansing and Boston very similar.  Southern Michigan is very mild, or least more than popular perception would have you believe.
It probably just depends. How wealthy was your community if you don't mind sharing?

SkyPesos

Contrary to the comments so far, I've never heard of a K-12 school without AC before, as all schools in my district (8 of them) have AC, as well as schools in neighboring districts to the best of my knowledge. It's in an "outer ring"  suburb (outside of I-275), so not sure if that contributes to it having AC or not.

Rothman

None of the elementary schools had AC in western MA when I was a kid, I don't believe.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 27, 2021, 01:44:04 PM
Contrary to the comments so far, I've never heard of a K-12 school without AC before, as all schools in my district (8 of them) have AC, as well as schools in neighboring districts to the best of my knowledge. It's in an "outer ring"  suburb (outside of I-275), so not sure if that contributes to it having AC or not.
You're a youngin'.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 27, 2021, 01:42:29 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 27, 2021, 01:41:53 PM

It probably just depends. How wealthy was your community if you don't mind sharing?

Well off, the income statistics for the 2000 census are on the Wikipedia page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeWitt,_Michigan

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on June 27, 2021, 01:46:26 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on June 27, 2021, 01:44:04 PM
You're a youngin'.
Cincinnati is warmer than Michigan and Massachusetts.

DTComposer

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 26, 2021, 05:33:42 PM

Not when you consider that it's only L.A. and Orange Counties, and at least of quarter of those households are within 10 miles of the coast. In the fifteen years I lived in Long Beach (all without AC), there were maybe thirty-forty days total that I wished I had AC.

Quote from: bing101 on June 26, 2021, 05:29:47 PM
That's interesting to see San Francisco and Seattle to be in the lowest with AC units. I know in the case of San Francisco once you go to the outer suburbs such as Walnut Creek and Pleasanton then the percentage of homes with AC would increase due to the city being away from the Bay or coast ranges.

Same thing here. Two-thirds of the households in the metro are within 5 miles of the ocean or the bay.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.