Five highways you want to drive in your lifetime

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, July 05, 2021, 04:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Just out of curiosity.  A couple people at least have the Yungas Road (Death Road) listed.  Has anyone other than me been on it?

Chris

texaskdog

US 191 for sure.  Hits a lot of parks I like and that Arizona stretch is appealling

sprjus4

Quote from: sparker on July 06, 2021, 12:57:21 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 06, 2021, 11:35:53 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on July 06, 2021, 09:49:32 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 06, 2021, 09:33:59 AM
Quote from: sparker on July 05, 2021, 11:07:10 PM

3.  The direct all-Interstate L.A.-N.Y. run in one trip (I-10/15/40/44/55/70/76/276/95)*.

*yeah, I know getting off 76 onto 283/83/81/78's technically shorter, but Harrisburg's a PITA; and if PennDOT and PTC can't get their shit together to build a direct 76/81 interchange near Middlesex, screw 'em!

Huh? The well-known trucking route is 15-40-81-78.
That route is 2 hours longer and over 100 miles longer than the I-44 / I-70 / I-76 / I-276 / I-95 routing.
Does the I-44 route go through more big cities?

To keep my post reasonably short, I omitted some interim connections: 270/255 around St. Louis, potentially 465 around Indy, 270 around Columbus (depending upon when in the day they were to be traversed), and, definitely, 470 around Wheeling.  I've actually done the run in segments, so there's a bit of leeway necessary rather than just plow through the various cities on the principal trunk route.  Hey, if the Kilpatrick around OKC was an Interstate, I'd probably use it as well.
Just because it's not an interstate, does it mean it can't be used?

US 41

Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way, but some of you seem to be too obsessed with taking interstates everywhere. There's nothing wrong with taking them, but I can tell you that some of the most memorable road trip experiences I've had were taking rural 2 lane highways. They're just way more scenic and you truly get to see the country. They're also way more relaxing to drive on. In the eastern half of the country interstates are way overcrowded and there are too many idiots on the roads, and a lot of them drive big trucks.

I actually drive a truck and I try to stay to stay off of the interstates as much as possible so I can see lots of new things and because it's more relaxing. I also think it's safer.

When I'm no longer truck driving, I probably won't take an interstate anywhere unless I'm driving through some big city or there's no other option (like out west in some places for example).

If I was going to drive cross country I'd want to take US and maybe even state Routes as much as possible. I know not everyone has time for that, but I can assure you that it would be worth it and way more memorable.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 41 on July 07, 2021, 07:40:06 AM
Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way, but some of you seem to be too obsessed with taking interstates everywhere. There's nothing wrong with taking them, but I can tell you that some of the most memorable road trip experiences I've had were taking rural 2 lane highways. They're just way more scenic and you truly get to see the country. They're also way more relaxing to drive on. In the eastern half of the country interstates are way overcrowded and there are too many idiots on the roads, and a lot of them drive big trucks.

I actually drive a truck and I try to stay to stay off of the interstates as much as possible so I can see lots of new things and because it's more relaxing. I also think it's safer.

When I'm no longer truck driving, I probably won't take an interstate anywhere unless I'm driving through some big city or there's no other option (like out west in some places for example).

If I was going to drive cross country I'd want to take US and maybe even state Routes as much as possible. I know not everyone has time for that, but I can assure you that it would be worth it and way more memorable.

Part of the reason I created the top five challenging roads thread was to due to the phenomenon you describe above in this thread.  I'm always kind of surprised how many people in the road community rather clinch a lengthy Interstate rather than something like a fun/infamous road.  To each their own, but to me freeway driving on the whole is probably the most boring thing I can think to do behind the wheel. 

That said, it is kind of neat to see so people have US 191 on their list.  I didn't expect it to be ranked so highly in the community and getting recognition for how awesome it is. 

Rothman

Well, the thread is about highways, which most people think of as more than a two-lane road.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on July 07, 2021, 08:58:57 AM

Well, the thread is about highways, which most people think of as more than a two-lane road.

But isn't thinking of fully limited access freeways above all other types of highways kind of an equally limiting train of thought? 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 07, 2021, 09:01:52 AM

But isn't thinking of fully limited access freeways above all other types of highways kind of an equally limiting train of thought?
Nah.  It's just how most people think of the term and therefore it isn't surprising that a lot of preferences lean that way in this thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on July 07, 2021, 09:05:14 AM

Nah.  It's just how most people think of the term and therefore it isn't surprising that a lot of preferences lean that way in this thread.

Hence my continued surprise at the phenomenon.  Example; if time wasn't a factor I probably would always take UT 9, US 89, UT 12 and UT 24 across southern Utah (or even former US 91 over the Beaver Sam Mountains than I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge).  By the logic of this thread a lot of people would just simply take I-70 across the San Rafael Swell because it is their dream.  As far as a freeway goes the Swell segment of I-70 is beautiful, but it offers nothing interesting aside that scenery.  I guess what surprises me is that there so many who want an unchallenging experience as their dream drive.  I would think all time great roads the likes of UT 9 and UT 12 would rank far more highly than an Interstate, but that's not proving to be the case.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 07, 2021, 09:11:49 AM

Hence my continued surprise at the phenomenon.  Example; if time wasn't a factor I probably would always take UT 9, US 89, UT 12 and UT 24 across southern Utah (or even former US 91 over the Beaver Sam Mountains than I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge).  By the logic of this thread a lot of people would just simply take I-70 across the San Rafael Swell because it is their dream.  As far as a freeway goes the Swell segment of I-70 is beautiful, but it offers nothing interesting aside that scenery.  I guess what surprises me is that there so many who want an unchallenging experience as their dream drive.  I would think all time great roads the likes of UT 9 and UT 12 would rank far more highly than an Interstate, but that's not proving to be the case.

The flip side of this is that the two-laner advocates' sticking their noses up in the air can be more nauseating than persuasive.  Let people have their fun.

JayhawkCO

I think part of it is because a lot of us started our roadgeekery with interstates, or at least I did.  When I was a kid, those were the roads that took me to new places, such exciting spots as Iowa, Kansas, and Oklahoma.  When I got my first road atlas, I highlighted trips trying to stay on interstates the most, and then when I found out about CHM, I really started to look how I could finish them off.  If you're interested in interstates, then I-70 through Colorado/Utah is arguably the highlight of the interstate system.

Now that I have to drive over 7 hours away to get on interstate mileage I haven't been on, the side roads take more importance and I look to clinch those, but if I flew to a state out east that I haven't traveled much, I'd probably lean towards trying to knock out the interstates unless there was a "bucket list" road just so I can get closer to completeness. (And I can travel more mileage in less time obviously.)

Chris

hbelkins

I increasingly prefer not to drive on interstates when possible. Sometimes they're necessary to get from one point to another in a hurry, but it comes to a point where even the more interesting ones you've driven frequently (in my case, I-79 in West Virginia and the entirety of I-68) become a chore.

And there are some stretches I try to avoid with a passion, such as I-75 between Knoxville and Corbin. Heavy traffic and slow-moving trucks aren't very fun.

The two-lane roads generally get you more scenery, interesting places (such as small towns), and a wide variety of signage. The only drawback is having to slog through a community with a lot of traffic lights.

And I really don't like urban areas at all, because the interstates are often congested and it takes forever to get through them on signal-infested surface routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SeriesE

I-70 west of Denver (Continental Divide and Eisenhower Tunnel)
I-95 (main freeway of the east coast)
Pennsylvania Turnpike (oldest? toll road of the country and supposedly scenic)
US-491 (novelty to see what it's all about because it used to be US-666)
US-395 (scenic)

Others:
I-10 Katy Freeway (width and architecture)
Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (longest bridge over water)
Highway 401 in Toronto (width)
I-93 in Boston (Big Dig)

JayhawkCO

SeriesE

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 07, 2021, 02:34:16 PM
Quote from: SeriesE on July 07, 2021, 01:47:08 PM
I-10 Katy Freeway

Interesting.  Any particular reason?

Chris

Mostly because of the width and the grand looking freeway-to-freeway interchanges.

Max Rockatansky

The above reply popped up when I was typing this and what I am more or less getting at.

Quote from: Rothman on July 07, 2021, 09:17:13 AM

The flip side of this is that the two-laner advocates' sticking their noses up in the air can be more nauseating than persuasive.  Let people have their fun.

But there must be a quantifiable reason, there certain are for the choices I made.  This thread would be all the more interesting to hear what those reasons are.  Some of the reasoning I usually go for finding roads to interest me usually come from the following:

-  Is this a fun road to drive?
-  Is this a scenic road?
-  Are there things to do that are interesting on said road?
-  Is there substantial history on said road?
-  Is there anything that makes this road unique?  Some of the common thins I look for usually are; an old highway alignment, there is an interesting bridge, nostalgia, or even the road offers some sort of element of danger like a high grade profile or a paved surface.

Love2drive

Cherohala Skyway  (in the fall)

The Cabot Trail  (in the fall)

The Pacific Coast Highway

Interstate 70 from Denver to its western terminus

Vermont 100 (in the fall)

Scott5114

Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way, but some of you seem to be too obsessed with taking interstates everywhere. There's nothing wrong with taking them, but I can tell you that some of the most memorable road trip experiences I've had were taking rural 2 lane highways. They're just way more scenic and you truly get to see the country.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2021, 03:04:36 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2021, 01:17:52 PM
The overwhelming majority of freeways are boring to drive on.

So are the overwhelming majority of conventional roads, for that matter. The argument for conventional roads is you get to "see more", by which they usually mean more small towns. Small towns are more or less interchangeable and have nothing unique to them that isn't a historic event (which probably isn't going on while you're passing through on the state highway) or some local business (sure, Nellie's Diner makes fantastic fried chicken, but so does Glenda's Diner in a town about the same size that's 50 miles down the road, and about 20 different restaurants in an actual city).

And let's face it, when you're on a trip, you don't have the time to stop in every single small town and learn all about the Oak Resin Rebellion of 1917 (when Jeridida Sawfunkler climbed the grain elevator and declared "No man should have to parallel park on the streets of Goltry!"), or which of the anonymous historic buildings on Main Street (or is it Broadway?) makes the best fried paperclips, or whatever. Most of them are just going to represent a 25 mph zone in between two 65 mph zones that you have to slow down for as you make your way through the historic downtown that will look exactly like the historic downtown of the next 25 mph zone you will encounter eighteen miles down the road.

Freeways at least give you the opportunity to cover distance so you get to actually interesting places faster.

They're also way more relaxing to drive on.

If you think it's relaxing getting stuck behind a farm implement or pickup truck with a negative Kelly Blue Book value and hoping oncoming traffic will clear long enough you won't die, or hoping that the local sheriff's deputy is too busy coming up with new ethnic slurs to pull you over for doing 26 in a 25, then sure, I guess.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

I recall several 2,000 mile plus trips that didn't include a single mile of freeway.  Speaking for myself those old downtown areas/older highway alignments are definitely way more interesting than a freeway blowing through the terrain and conforming to a uniform standard.  Even now I'm pretty much in the center of west coast agriculture, usually I just pass the farm machinery and call it a day.  Granted, it helps that I'm this side of the country and not somewhere with a more congested populace.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 07, 2021, 08:54:43 AM

Part of the reason I created the top five challenging roads thread was to due to the phenomenon you describe above in this thread.  I'm always kind of surprised how many people in the road community rather clinch a lengthy Interstate rather than something like a fun/infamous road.  To each their own, but to me freeway driving on the whole is probably the most boring thing I can think to do behind the wheel. 

That said, it is kind of neat to see so people have US 191 on their list.  I didn't expect it to be ranked so highly in the community and getting recognition for how awesome it is.
I'm in that too where I think clinching a lengthy Interstate doesn't mean much to me. I've already clinched I-75 and lemme tell you that was a drag to clinch especially the stretches through Georgia and Florida that seem like they go on forever. I'd love to clinch some US highways even using some of their old routing if I can as well as state highways. Interstate's are mostly all the same to me, you're driving at 70 mph or so and don't get to see as much from an Interstate.

I'm in the boat where I'd rather take US-23 between Standish and Mackinaw City than I-75. That is about 43 miles longer and about an hour and 40 minutes longer.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 08, 2021, 10:36:35 AM

I'm in that too where I think clinching a lengthy Interstate doesn't mean much to me. I've already clinched I-75 and lemme tell you that was a drag to clinch especially the stretches through Georgia and Florida that seem like they go on forever. I'd love to clinch some US highways even using some of their old routing if I can as well as state highways. Interstate's are mostly all the same to me, you're driving at 70 mph or so and don't get to see as much from an Interstate.

I'm in the boat where I'd rather take US-23 between Standish and Mackinaw City than I-75. That is about 43 miles longer and about an hour and 40 minutes longer.

Ironically I just recommended US 23 to a friend from Asheville, NC who wanted to take something different than the standard I-75 trip to Michigan.

Put it this way, clinching US 27 and I-75 piecemeal over the years were two totally different experiences.  US 27 isn't constantly interesting but it definitely is more laid back and does have more interesting things to see on it.  I-75 just has Alligator Alley and the Mackinac Bridge, the rest is easily skipped.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2021, 11:00:18 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 08, 2021, 10:36:35 AM

Ironically I just recommended US 23 to a friend from Asheville, NC who wanted to take something different than the standard I-75 trip to Michigan.

Put it this way, clinching US 27 and I-75 piecemeal over the years were two totally different experiences.  US 27 isn't constantly interesting but it definitely is more laid back and does have more interesting things to see on it.  I-75 just has Alligator Alley and the Mackinac Bridge, the rest is easily skipped.
Taking US-27 has always been good to me. I like how you can bypass Atlanta by taking it and it's an ok road to take. It does shift to the east more between Lexington and Cincinnati though. I would just opt for I-75 in that area until Cincinnati and then rejoin it there.

hbelkins

^^^

I have the opposite opinion of US 27 in Kentucky. I prefer it as an alternative to I-75, accessing it at Paris via KY 627 from Winchester.

And my preferred route to Columbus is to hit US 23 at Greenup and take it north, instead of using I-75 and I-71.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2021, 07:57:37 PM
^^^

I have the opposite opinion of US 27 in Kentucky. I prefer it as an alternative to I-75, accessing it at Paris via KY 627 from Winchester.

And my preferred route to Columbus is to hit US 23 at Greenup and take it north, instead of using I-75 and I-71.

The weird thing is that I got US 27 in Michigan before it was truncated, largely because I lived on it near Lansing.  I never tried to replicate the full scale from the Mackinac Bridge into the UP.  Sometimes it was just easier for us to take US 27 than trying to get onto I-75.  I'll give you Kentucky for I-75 as being favorable in said state.

bugo

QuoteDoes the I-44 route go through more big cities?

I-44 in Missouri is awful. Much of it was built over the old US 66 expressways, and it is just a terrible road from about Springfield to St Louis. It is curvy and slow, and if you try to pass slower traffic, big trucks will almost swerve into the lane in front of you so they can micropass the truck in the right hand lane. It isn't one of those freeways where you can put the cruise control on, kick back and relax. I would drive 200 miles out of the way just to avoid that stretch of highway. One night I was driving westbound out of St Louis (I was in town for the roadmeet, which I believe was in 2014) and it started raining, then sleeting and eventually snowing the further west I got. When I passed a truck, I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of the hood. If anybody had been stopped or going slowly in that lane, I wouldn't have had a chance. It was late and Chloe and I just wanted to get home. That was a hellride.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.