News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

DO NOT PASS usage

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2021, 01:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ran4sh

Quote from: Brandon on July 11, 2021, 11:19:57 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 11, 2021, 11:14:25 AM
Quote from: Brandon on July 11, 2021, 10:41:46 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 11, 2021, 12:25:50 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 10, 2021, 11:16:19 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 10, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
Oklahoma does not use signage at all for passing zones, only pavement markings. The only time I've seen "DO NOT PASS" is in freeway work zones.

That's gotta be a bit annoying at times. How can you see when the passing zone ends? Or is it because in Oklahoma it's so flat that it's rare to even have no passing zones?
The pavement markings change.  That's how you know when it ends.

Good luck with that in snow.

Illinois (IDOT) uses the pennants only.

Michigan (MDOT) uses the full suite: Pennant on the left, Do Not Pass sign on the right, and Pass With Care when then no passing zone has ended.  It's quite useful during the snow season in the UP where they do not plow to pavement.

If you can't see the center line in snow, it's probably unadvisable to pass in the first place. Or, use common sense if you need to get around someone. 

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of passing zones in the US aren't marked with ending signage.

You haven't driven in the UP much, have you?  Again, they do not plow to pavement, yet you do need to be able to pass logging trucks going well under the speed limit (due to weight).

At least in my state you are legally permitted to pass even with a solid line (the solid "no passing" yellow line is only advisory). I take advantage of this to pass vehicles going very slow. I only use the lines to determine when it's safe to pass traffic that's moving close to the speed limit [but slower than me].
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

kphoger

Quote from: ran4sh on July 14, 2021, 06:28:01 PM
At least in my state you are legally permitted to pass even with a solid line (the solid "no passing" yellow line is only advisory). I take advantage of this to pass vehicles going very slow. I only use the lines to determine when it's safe to pass traffic that's moving close to the speed limit [but slower than me].

Your profile says you're from Georgia.  Here is what the law says:

Quote from: 2010 Georgia Code
Title 40 – Motor Vehicles and Traffic
Chapter 6 – Uniform Rules of the Road
  Article 3 – Driving on Right Side of Roadway, Overtaking and Passing, Following Too Closely
   § 40-6-46 – No-passing zones

(a) The Department of Transportation and local authorities are authorized to determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving to the left side of the roadway would be especially hazardous and may, by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway, indicate the beginning and end of such zones and, when such signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person, every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions thereof. Such no-passing zones shall be clearly marked by a solid barrier line placed on the right-hand element of a combination stripe along the center or lane line or by a solid double yellow line.

(b) Where signs or markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (a) of this Code section, no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within such no-passing zone or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark such no-passing zone throughout its length.

(c) This Code section does not apply under the conditions described in paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Code Section 40-6-40 nor to the driver of a vehicle turning left into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

Quote from: 2010 Georgia Code
Title 40 – Motor Vehicles and Traffic
Chapter 6 – Uniform Rules of the Road
  Article 3 – Driving on Right Side of Roadway, Overtaking and Passing, Following Too Closely
   § 40-6-40 – Vehicles to drive on right side of roadway; exceptions

(a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway, provided that any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such a distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

So, in essence, the solid "no passing" yellow line is most definitely NOT only advisory.  The law states that every driver "shall obey" it, and further that no driver "shall at any time drive on the left" of it.  The only exception is if there's "an obstruction" that makes it "necessary" to do so.

Now, a slow-moving vehicle may or may not qualify as an obstruction–depending on its speed, the speed limit of the road its on, and the the mood the judge is in that day–but that's a legal grey area.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

I think a rationale cop would make a good call if he caught you crossing the line. If it's a slow tractor, I doubt he would ticket you.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

FrCorySticha

Quote from: US 89 on July 11, 2021, 04:37:24 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 11, 2021, 04:31:42 PM
And, as mentioned, how much of the country both has significant snow and does not plow to pavement?

Montana, for one.

In last few years, Montana has put up pennants along most of the state and US highways. They help a lot with passing year round, especially when behind a line of slow-moving RVs or trucks.

ran4sh

We're allowed to pass bikes by crossing a solid yellow line, so I would say that a different type of slow-moving vehicle would be no different. Sure, the line may not be merely advisory and I might just be using the wrong word, but it is still legal to pass a slow moving vehicle, and the usual case for that in a city would be to pass a bike.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ran4sh on July 14, 2021, 06:28:01 PM

At least in my state you are legally permitted to pass even with a solid line (the solid "no passing" yellow line is only advisory).

If your state is Georgia, I don't think that's true.

From Title 40, Chapter 6, Article 6, Section 46:
(a) The Department of Transportation and local authorities are authorized to determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving to the left side of the roadway would be especially hazardous and may, by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway, indicate the beginning and end of such zones and, when such signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person, every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions thereof. Such no-passing zones shall be clearly marked by a solid barrier line placed on the right-hand element of a combination stripe along the center or lane line or by a solid double yellow line.

(b) Where signs or markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (a) of this Code section, no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within such no-passing zone or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark such no-passing zone throughout its length.

That said, there is an exception granted in Title 40, Chapter 6, Article 6, Section 40:
(a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway, provided that any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such a distance as to constitute an immediate hazard
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ran4sh

As for the signs, I do support their usage instead of having to rely only on pavement markings.

JoePCool14

Quote from: vdeane on July 11, 2021, 12:25:50 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 10, 2021, 11:16:19 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 10, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
Oklahoma does not use signage at all for passing zones, only pavement markings. The only time I've seen "DO NOT PASS" is in freeway work zones.

That's gotta be a bit annoying at times. How can you see when the passing zone ends? Or is it because in Oklahoma it's so flat that it's rare to even have no passing zones?
The pavement markings change.  That's how you know when it ends.

I know that. It's hard to judge the distance to the end of a no-passing zone from further away. If it's flat, you can't see very well where the lines change. A sign on the left (or right) is much easier to see.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.