AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: US 93 In Arizona Progress  (Read 16392 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 10:31:53 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: US 93 In Arizona Progress
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2021, 07:35:11 PM »

Wikieup is a wide spot in the road with one good souvenir shop/convenience store, two overpriced gas stations across the highway (both of whom charge $1-1.50 per gallon above market price), and a couple of decent restaurants at the north end of town.  Most of whatever else used to exist along US 93 has long been abandoned.

There's no way I can see ADOT not routing I-11 on a bypass around what's left of that town (population about 300).  I stop there on  my way to and from Vegas or Laughlin once or twice a year, and outside of the souvenir shop and a good Chicago-style hot dog stand, the rest is 100% expendable. 

Build the bypass and connect the current 93 to it on both sides of town.  Upgrading the current 93 through town to interstate standards is just not happening.  I'll be shocked if anyone outside of local residents even propose it.

Now there's one less reason to drive through Wikieup, and it is - or now was -- the biggest reason.  The Wikieup Trading Post (the souvenir shop/convenience store mentioned above) burned to the ground early this morning.  A total loss.  At least nobody was hurt.

Opportunity for the Nothing Rock Shop to reopen and fill the void?   :rolleyes:

sparker

• Last Login: September 12, 2021, 12:44:33 AM
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »

Wikieup is a wide spot in the road with one good souvenir shop/convenience store, two overpriced gas stations across the highway (both of whom charge $1-1.50 per gallon above market price), and a couple of decent restaurants at the north end of town.  Most of whatever else used to exist along US 93 has long been abandoned.

There's no way I can see ADOT not routing I-11 on a bypass around what's left of that town (population about 300).  I stop there on  my way to and from Vegas or Laughlin once or twice a year, and outside of the souvenir shop and a good Chicago-style hot dog stand, the rest is 100% expendable. 

Build the bypass and connect the current 93 to it on both sides of town.  Upgrading the current 93 through town to interstate standards is just not happening.  I'll be shocked if anyone outside of local residents even propose it.

Now there's one less reason to drive through Wikieup, and it is - or now was -- the biggest reason.  The Wikieup Trading Post (the souvenir shop/convenience store mentioned above) burned to the ground early this morning.  A total loss.  At least nobody was hurt.

Or -- the owners of the Trading Post simply collect the insurance (hopefully it was at least adequate), sit on it for a bit, and rebuild wherever I-11 ends up -- either through town or on a bypass. 

KeithE4Phx

• Last Login: Today at 12:20:01 AM
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2021, 10:34:56 PM »

Or -- the owners of the Trading Post simply collect the insurance (hopefully it was at least adequate), sit on it for a bit, and rebuild wherever I-11 ends up -- either through town or on a bypass.

The reason we found out about it is that we know the owner, and she sent a text with a picture of the devastation to my girlfriend first thing this morning.  She has no idea what she'll do now, but has requested us to not contact her until she gets her bearings as to what she can and cannot do.  We are going to respect her request.  I'm sure the freeway routing has a lot to do with her future plans.

There has been no news coverage, either in Phoenix or Kingman media, of the fire.  Facebook pictures (the only coverage there's been) show what is left.  I cannot put those pictures here without permission of the owners.

There is, AFAIK, no fire station in Wikieup, either.  At least the gas tanks didn't explode.

"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2021, 02:44:52 PM »

At least the gas tanks didn't explode.

Update:  Was up that way this week.  The trading post is rubble, but the Union 76 gas station is being rebuilt.  Not yet open, though.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2021, 03:28:36 PM »

Big problem:  US 93 is completely closed from I-40 to SR 71.  One wreck just south of I-40, and another on the two-lane section northwest of Wickenburg. 

The only ways to get between Phoenix and Las Vegas today are I-17 or SR 89 north to I-40 west, or I-10 west (or US 60 west to I-10, if already in or near Wickenburg) to US 95 north.

sparker

• Last Login: September 12, 2021, 12:44:33 AM
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2021, 06:29:36 PM »

Big problem:  US 93 is completely closed from I-40 to SR 71.  One wreck just south of I-40, and another on the two-lane section northwest of Wickenburg. 

The only ways to get between Phoenix and Las Vegas today are I-17 or SR 89 north to I-40 west, or I-10 west (or US 60 west to I-10, if already in or near Wickenburg) to US 95 north.

Or via Southwest! :-/  Seriously, the 4-laning of this corridor can't come soon enough, with or without I-11! 

splashflash

• Last Login: November 27, 2021, 11:43:26 PM
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2021, 09:54:01 PM »

Or via Southwest! :-/  Seriously, the 4-laning of this corridor can't come soon enough, with or without I-11!

This seems to be acknowledged in the latest 5 year plan but omits the Cane Springs widening and any widening work between SR 89 and SR 71.  The Tegner to SR89 Gap project remains intact but is almost completed paid by Maricopa County, isn't it? At least the Kingman interchange is there.

From the list:

Kabba Wash Bridge
Project Limits US 93 Bridge 492 milepost 97.5 to 98.5 (1 mile)
Description Design/Construct Bridge Rehabilitation
$4M

Project Name Sycamore Creek Bridge NB, Gray Wash Bridge
Route US 93
Project Limits US 93 Bridge 640 milepost 127.63 to 128.63 (1 mile), US 93 Bridge 641 milepost 128.63 to 129.63 (1 mile)
Bridge Rehabilitation
$1.1M

Project Name S of Nothing - S of Jct SR-97
Route US 93
Project Limits US 93 from S of Nothing to Jct SR-97 milepost 144 to 156 (12 mile)
Description Pavement Rehabilitation
$27 million

Project Name MP 160-180.6, Wickieup
Route US 93
Project Limits US 93 milepost 160 to 180.6 (20.6 mile)
Description Center line rumble strips
$361K

Project Name Tegner St - Wickenburg Ranch Way
Route US 93
Project Limits US 93 from Tenger Street to SR-89 milepost 193 to 198 (5 mile)
Description US93: Tegner Street - SR89 "The Gap": Construct Divided Highway Local ID: DOT18-707 & DOT20-724
$54,981,000

Project Name US-93/I-40 West Kingman TI
Route I 40
Project LimitsInterchange on I 40 at I-40 West Kingman and US-93
Description Right of Way, Design, and Construct TI
$84 million

https://www.abc15.com/traffic/deadly-gamble-update-adot-to-make-us-93-safety-improvements
https://azdot.gov/sites/default/files/media/2021/03/2022-2026-tentative-5yr-plan.pdf

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 02:21:45 AM by splashflash »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.