Started by tolbs17, July 22, 2021, 05:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 28, 2021, 12:25:00 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 28, 2021, 12:14:32 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 28, 2021, 12:12:54 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 28, 2021, 12:07:36 AM
Why are you linking a video from 2017?
Cause that was probably the best one that I can find. You got idiots that don't know how to drive

So basically you are here to spam boost your post count again?
NO! I just posted this cause I had nothing to do.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 28, 2021, 12:04:58 AM
This is why you can't have nice things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQrmLXWgd4

It's precisely why hanging out in the left lane for no good reason is unsafe:  you force traffic both slower than you and faster than you into sharing the same (right) lane.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

In other news, water is wet, and one day your back will itch.

I feel like we have umpteen threads on this at any given time.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 28, 2021, 07:28:47 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 28, 2021, 12:25:00 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 28, 2021, 12:14:32 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 28, 2021, 12:12:54 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 28, 2021, 12:07:36 AM
Why are you linking a video from 2017?
Cause that was probably the best one that I can find. You got idiots that don't know how to drive

NO! I just posted this cause I had nothing to do.

No

tradephoric

The posts accusing tolbs17 of "spam boosting" is starting to feel spammy.  Then the accused spammer responds to the spam accusation and is further labeled a "spammer"!

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

HighwayStar

Luncheon meat aside, I agree that people often drive too slow in the left lane.

New Jersey tried fixing this with a quixotic law that mandates "keep right except to pass", I once had a New Jersey resident try to explain this to me while stopped at a stop light. In open traffic the concept makes sense, but when both lanes are packed full its moronic.  :pan:
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

jeffandnicole

Quote from: HighwayStar on July 28, 2021, 06:00:16 PM

New Jersey tried fixing this with a quixotic law that mandates "keep right except to pass", I once had a New Jersey resident try to explain this to me while stopped at a stop light. In open traffic the concept makes sense, but when both lanes are packed full its moronic.  :pan:

Then you're reading into it too much, almost as if you're finding an excuse to stay in the left lane.

Do you also find speed limits moronic when there's congestion? What's the point of a speed limit when there's congestion and no one can reach the limit anyway?

HighwayStar

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 28, 2021, 06:15:09 PM

Then you're reading into it too much, almost as if you're finding an excuse to stay in the left lane.

Do you also find speed limits moronic when there's congestion? What's the point of a speed limit when there's congestion and no one can reach the limit anyway?

I am not the one reading it too much, that was the error of the New Jersey resident suggesting I move over, despite the fact that both lanes were solid for a mile or better with cars.

skluth

I live in California. Almost everyone drives in the left lane when there are only two lanes. I hate it, but I've come to accept it and have (mostly) made my peace with it. At least until the next time I get behind the wheel.  :D

jeffandnicole

Quote from: HighwayStar on July 28, 2021, 06:16:12 PM

I am not the one reading it too much, that was the error of the New Jersey resident suggesting I move over, despite the fact that both lanes were solid for a mile or better with cars.

Here's my unofficial guideline: If someone in the left lane was able to merge to the right, pass a slower driver in the left lane, and get back into the left lane, then there was enough room for that person to have moved over to the right lane in the first place.

Like I said, unofficial. Obviously there are assholes that will cut people off with inches to spare to get around someone to gain 20 ft. But if someone is continuously being passed in this manner, chances are they are driving too slow for the left lane.

kphoger

I'd say it's a pretty easy assumption that, if there's congestion such that the right lane is a solid mile-long line of cars, then it isn't "available for travel"–in which case the law you're referring to does not apply.

Quote from: 2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 39 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION
  Section 39:4-88 - Traffic on marked lanes

When a roadway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic, drivers of vehicles shall obey the following regulations:

a. A vehicle shall normally be driven in the lane nearest the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway when that lane is available for travel, except when overtaking another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn.
Male pronouns, please.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2021, 10:16:38 AM

I'd say it's a pretty easy assumption that, if there's congestion such that the right lane is a solid mile-long line of cars, then it isn't "available for travel"–in which case the law you're referring to does not apply.

When a roadway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic, drivers of vehicles shall obey the following regulations:

a. A vehicle shall normally be driven in the lane nearest the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway when that lane is available for travel, except when overtaking another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn.

And you would be correct, but again, the residents of the state did not understand how their own law worked. I am not sure if that is the actual statute or not, but in any case NJ is one state where such a law  makes little sense.

kphoger

Quote from: HighwayStar on July 29, 2021, 10:27:56 AM

And you would be correct, but again, the residents of the state did not understand how their own law worked. I am not sure if that is the actual statute or not, but in any case NJ is one state where such a law  makes little sense.

Why aren't you sure if that's the actual statute?  I just cited it.
Male pronouns, please.

Crash_It

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 05:33:42 PM
On US 264 I've seen some people drive only 70 mph in the left lane! If you are driving slow, you're supposed to be in the right lane! It's obvious. People don't know how to drive.

I wouldn't consider driving the speed limit to be slow. If the limit is 70 and they are passing people doing 69 or less, then they have every right to be in that lane until they finish passing every single driver going slower than 70 and you just have to suck it up and wait. I hate being on I55 or I57 in IL and have people like you come up from behind me when I'm passing a line of trucks.

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on July 29, 2021, 01:07:47 PM

On US 264 I've seen some people drive only 70 mph in the left lane! If you are driving slow, you're supposed to be in the right lane! It's obvious. People don't know how to drive.

I wouldn't consider driving the speed limit to be slow. If the limit is 70 and they are passing people doing 69 or less, then they have every right to be in that lane until they finish passing every single driver going slower than 70 and you just have to suck it up and weight. I hate being on I55 or I57 in IL and have people like you come up from behind me when I'm passing a line of trucks.

Yep.  If they're obeying the speed limit, and they're actually passing other vehicles, then what complaint do you really have?
Male pronouns, please.

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2021, 01:25:00 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on July 29, 2021, 01:07:47 PM

I wouldn't consider driving the speed limit to be slow. If the limit is 70 and they are passing people doing 69 or less, then they have every right to be in that lane until they finish passing every single driver going slower than 70 and you just have to suck it up and weight. I hate being on I55 or I57 in IL and have people like you come up from behind me when I'm passing a line of trucks.

Yep.  If they're obeying the speed limit, and they're actually passing other vehicles, then what complaint do you really have?
The vehicles that then proceed to sit there after passing and refuse to move over because they're "approaching"  another group they're going to pass, when there's plenty of adequate room to move out of the way to let the faster vehicle pass. I encounter this a lot, usually leading to me passing on the right more than I wish to. I give the vehicle the opportunity to get over without tailgating too close first, but come close enough to the point they know I'm wishing to move faster. If they don't, then I move right and pass.

Or the ones that are "passing"  in the left lane by driving 0.1 mph faster than the flow on the right and holding the left lane for miles on end doing the exact speed limit (or below it) with 5-10+ cars stacked behind. Just speed up a little to get by and move over, or slow down a tad, and slide in. If I'm caught blatantly behind a vehicle like this for a long period of time, I will flash, but I never use my horn unless it's excessive (usually 5-10 mph below the speed limit and not actually pushing forward with the pass - like when the left and right vehicles keep fluctuating speeds together).

I try to avoid situations where I'm in the left lane holding people for long periods of time. I'll either usually back off and slide in or increase my speed to be closer to the left lane flow, get past the slower vehicles, and move over to the right, then reducing to whatever I was comfortably doing before. It's just courteous.

kphoger

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 29, 2021, 01:30:07 PM
The vehicles that then proceed to sit there after passing and refuse to move over because they're "approaching"  another group they're going to pass, when there's plenty of adequate room to move out of the way to let the faster vehicle pass.

My best friend.  And then he gets mad when the faster driver blows around him in the right lane.

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 29, 2021, 01:30:07 PM
Or the ones that are "passing"  in the left lane by driving 0.1 mph faster than the flow on the right and holding the left lane for miles on end doing the exact speed limit (or below it) with 5-10+ cars stacked behind. Just speed up a little to get by and move over, or slow down a tad, and slide in. If I'm caught blatantly behind a vehicle like this for a long period of time, I will flash, but I never use my horn unless it's excessive (usually 5-10 mph below the speed limit and not actually pushing forward with the pass - like when the left and right vehicles keep fluctuating speeds together).

I try to avoid situations where I'm in the left lane holding people for long periods of time. I'll either usually back off and slide in or increase my speed to be closer to the left lane flow, get past the slower vehicles, and move over to the right, then reducing to whatever I was comfortably doing before. It's just courteous.

Yes, I do that too.  If it's just 1 mph of a difference, then I might leave the cruise control on.  But, if it's less than that, then I'm for sure speeding up or slowing down–generally speeding up, because I'm not usually in the left lane unless I've already checked for faster traffic coming from behind me.
Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: HighwayStar on July 29, 2021, 10:27:56 AM

Why does the law make little sense? The state's roads aren't congested 24/7. This news story from 2018 details over 50,000 tickets were handed out during the year: https://www.nj.com/traffic/2018/06/this_frustrating_fast_lane_behavior_gets_a_month_t.html

Also, "when the lane is available for travel" means an open lane, not the lane nwxt to one that is congested.

MikeTheActuary

Flint1979

Rothman

The irony is that CT drivers are horrible.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ketchup99

Generally, left-lane hogs are annoying, but when I was in Miami last month I found one that almost caused a wreck. Traffic was going 75-80 in the left lane (of several) on I-575 westbound, when out of the blue, I saw a billion brakes up ahead and I slammed on mine too. Cars started darting out of the lane, and when they were all gone, I found myself sitting behind someone's old grandma in a beat-up Honda Accord. I looked at my speedometer and saw 42. How the old lady even got into the left to begin with, I haven't the foggiest idea, but driving 42mph in the left lane of a suburban freeway seems like the kind of thing cops should write tickets for. Really, at that speed, she shouldn't be on the interstate to begin with.

sprjus4

^ Had the same thing happen on I-35E leaving Dallas a month ago. Traffic moving ~80 mph, all of a sudden, brake slamming, weaving lanes, etc. so for the fun of it, I decided to ride up on the slow poke going around 50 mph in the far left lane of an 8 lane freeway, and held down the horn. The driver proceeded to slow down.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.