News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road features you wish are used more in your state

Started by SkyPesos, July 23, 2021, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Thought this have been a thread before, but nothing have come up in search results...

For Ohio:
- APL Signage. I'm really liking this partial APL style used in Michigan.
- FYA signals
- SPUI interchanges
- Dogbone interchanges
- DDI interchanges
- Side-mounted signals
- "Freeway Entrance" signs, accompanied with downward pointing arrows with route shields that the state already uses a bit.
- Enhanced mile markers on rural freeways and expressways
- Exit numbers on more non-interstate freeways and expressways

Scott5114

- Thermoplastic road markings.
- Signage on overpasses identifying the road on the overpass.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

If backplates are used, make sure yellow reflective borders are used.

wriddle082

For South Carolina:
* Smooth pavement
* Mile markers every 2/10 of a mile on freeways
* Roadway lighting on freeways in the Columbia and York County areas (practically nonexistent)
* Bridge deck preservation by means of fog sealing, or reconstruction by means of concrete resurfacing/grouting (whatever NC is doing now in various places in the Charlotte area)
* Smooth pavement

vdeane

For NY:
Mile-based exit numbers
Speed limits of 60 or 70
Exit numbers on non-interstate roads (they're prevalent downstate, but not common upstate, outside of future interstates and interstate extensions)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kurumi

For CT:
Medians for busy surface arterials (parts of CT 10, CT 99, etc.)
Lane continuity
Super 2's and grade separations for primary routes that will never be freewayized
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheHighwayMan3561

MN:
More flyover ramps
More control cities posted on 494/694
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on July 23, 2021, 05:02:28 PM
For NY:
Mile-based exit numbers
Speed limits of 60 or 70
Exit numbers on non-interstate roads (they're prevalent downstate, but not common upstate, outside of future interstates and interstate extensions)
Amen.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CoreySamson

Texas:

- Enhanced mile markers to the half-mile or so on all freeways
- More FYAs
- Better "LANE ENDS" signage
- More and better acceleration lanes
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

nwi_navigator_1181

Indiana:

More APL signs (the only usage that I know of is the I-65/74/465 exchanges south of Indianapolis)
Secondary control cities used between the major cities along the interstate (a practice in Illinois I'm personally fond of)
65 MPH speed limits along rural divided highways (and some two lane roads with passing lanes, similar to US 2 in Michigan)
Control cities on beltways
Conditional speed limits in work zones ("When Workers Present" )
ACTUAL "Keep Right Except to Pass" signage on every interstate/freeway (not just the Toll Road)
Rumble strips for roads with high speed limits approaching stop signs and traffic signals on a regular basis
More arrows painted on the road to warn drivers to get over when the lane ends
Acceleration lanes for traffic entering high speed roadways from at-grade intersections

Bolded segment edited in thanks to a response from 1. It conveys the message a lot better.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

hotdogPi

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 23, 2021, 07:46:33 PM
ACTUAL "Keep Right Except To Pass"  signage on every interstate/freeway (not just the Toll Road)

Fixed.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: 1 on July 23, 2021, 07:50:50 PM
ACTUAL "Keep Right Except To Pass"  signage on every interstate/freeway (not just the Toll Road)

Fixed.

Fair. I actually like that better.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

skluth

Ned Weasel

Kansas:

• Jughandles
  • Permanent Michigan Lefts (There were two temporary ones in a construction zone, however.)
  • Routings for US Highways that actually aid in navigational purposes rather than reflecting desired numbers of miles for the state highway system
  • State highways being allowed to exist entirely within city limits
  • More instances of RIRO-only situations on US/state highways (Example: Why does US 24 need all these unprotected crossings here: https://goo.gl/maps/TswtoCmbaRkmzfXZ8 ?)
  • Exit numbers on non-Interstate freeways
  • Clearview *Ducks*
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Great Lakes Roads

Indiana:

More APL signs (the only usage that I know of is the I-65/74/465 exchanges south of Indianapolis)

There's a bunch more that popped up recently (I-65 in both directions between MP 129 and MP 130 as well as the I-65 SB exit 114), and more are planned on the NE side with I-465/69 interchange...

sprjus4

Virginia: More usage of 65 and 70 mph speed limits in urban areas. As far as rural speed limits, VDOT is quite good at posting state maximum permitted by law (70 mph) on all rural interstate highway segments. Urban areas... they tend to shy to 55 mph and maybe 60 mph more often than is reasonable despite nothing preventing them from going higher. Occasionally, you get a reasonably posted 65 mph urban speed limit (such as the recently increased from 60 mph I-64 segment in Newport News, I-95 immediately north of Richmond, etc.), but not often.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

NC implement of 65 mph speed limits on 4-lane divided highways.

Bruce

Signed county routes and consistent business routes, for one. Washington lags behind in this aspect.

achilles765

For Texas:

More 3dis
Exit numbers on all freeways
more left exits (I like them; im weird I know)
more reliable multiplex signing
DPS offices to get my driver's license renewed
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

TheStranger

California:

#1 for me is route continuity (and emphasizing navigation even through non-state-maintained segments - so like Massachusetts) rather than signage reflecting who maintains the road.

#2 would be reducing usage of the Implied TO and instead actually identifying a road all the way towards the end.  Great example of where this has been done nicely now is US 101 south of the Four-Level, which in the past was identified on the exits from 110 as "I-5 South Santa Ana/I-10 East San Bernardino" but now is "US 101 TO I-5/I-10/Route 60".

#3 is something that would never happen, but wishing some of the old US routes had been left alone the way East Coast states did when locating Interstates on parallel freeways.  I totally understand why that didn't happen in California, but really US 99 should have remained as a one-state US route at least in retrospect.

Chris Sampang

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 24, 2021, 03:15:12 AM
Has North Carolina used 65 mph speed limits on non-limited-access highways in the past? I'm not sure. But I do agree it would be nice to see more widespread.

Revive 755

Illinois:

* 4 and 5 level stack interchanges

* Continuous mile makers for the length of a route, though the current ones that reset at the county lines are better than nothing

* Interchange sequence/"Exit Menu" signs (example from Wisconsin

* Greater use of exit numbering on non-interstate freeways

* 75 mph rural speed limits on interstates

* 60 or 65 mph speed limits on rural two lane roads.  Particularly 65 since that was used prior to everything getting messed up in the 1970's, but 60 would be better than nothing.

* Overhead lane usage signs on arterials example from Wisconsin

* Yield controlled right turns

* Use of 'fixed' travel time signs (example from Indiana)

sprjus4

I'll add for Virginia: if we're making full on changes: 75 mph speed limits on rural limited access highways, 65 mph on non-limited-access highways.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 24, 2021, 11:58:07 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 24, 2021, 03:15:12 AM
Has North Carolina used 65 mph speed limits on non-limited-access highways in the past? I'm not sure. But I do agree it would be nice to see more widespread.
Don't think so.

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 24, 2021, 12:19:13 PM
I'll add for Virginia: if we're making full on changes: 75 mph speed limits on rural limited access highways, 65 mph on non-limited-access highways.
Would be great for North Carolina too. People speed like crazy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.