News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

Sorry I'm late with this, but...

https://www.capegazette.com/article/route-16-interchange-closer-construction/221994

QuoteRight-of-way acquisition is expected to be completed this summer on the Route 16-Route 1 interchange project, followed by bid advertisement.

The Rookery Golf Club, located near the intersection, will be required to relocate a portion of a cart path and a sand trap on the par-5 18th hole to install a safety net between the course and the northbound Route 1 off-ramp. Lank Road, which connects Route 1 and Broadkill Road beside the golf course, will be removed.

In addition, deck work on the two Route 1 bridges over the Broadkill River is expected to begin this October. McLeod said the bridge where work is occurring will be closed to traffic, with motorists diverted to the other bridge, which will carry two-way traffic.

The project includes replacement of decking, beams and joints, and substructure work under the bridges.

ixnay

sprjus4

Is DelDOT ever going to do improvements along US-113 in the nature they are doing SH-1? The continuous towns the route passes through, traffic signals, high traffic volumes, etc. warrants at minimum a free-flowing corridor, if not limited access highway.

74/171FAN

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 23, 2021, 11:08:57 PM
Is DelDOT ever going to do improvements along US-113 in the nature they are doing SH-1? The continuous towns the route passes through, traffic signals, high traffic volumes, etc. warrants at minimum a free-flowing corridor, if not limited access highway.

DelDOT has been looking into it, but I do not think it is to DE 1 level for now.  (Study, North Millsboro Bypass)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

DE 1's traffic volumes are higher.  That said, DelDOT has plans to build 3 interchanges in the coming years along US 113, at DE 20 West (2023, includes a connector east to DE 24), DE 404 West (2024), and DE 16 (2027).

Alex4897

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 24, 2021, 08:43:50 AM

DelDOT has been looking into it, but I do not think it is to DE 1 level for now.  (Study, North Millsboro Bypass)

They'd been pushing for a limited access highway between Milford and the Maryland line comparable to that of the DE 1 tollway. Local opposition got it canned though, which IMO was pretty short sighted. Sussex County is going to continue to grow regardless of whether the highway projects that'll make that growth bearable get completed.
👉😎👉

davewiecking

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 24, 2021, 12:04:48 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 24, 2021, 08:43:50 AM

They'd been pushing for a limited access highway between Milford and the Maryland line comparable to that of the DE 1 tollway. Local opposition got it canned though, which IMO was pretty short sighted. Sussex County is going to continue to grow regardless of whether the highway projects that'll make that growth bearable get completed.

Too many chicken farms would have been displaced. Also wetlands issues on the Millsboro bypass portion that would have simplified access to Bethany Beach area. Of course the E-W roads can't really handle much more traffic anyway.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on June 24, 2021, 09:39:21 AM
DE 1's traffic volumes are higher.  That said, DelDOT has plans to build 3 interchanges in the coming years along US 113, at DE 20 West (2023, includes a connector east to DE 24), DE 404 West (2024), and DE 16 (2027).
Slightly, but not to a large extent. Both corridors are comparable. US-113 is also a regional corridor, DE-1 is a local connector to the beaches and Lewes.

What a joke. The corridor should've been built out to the same design DE-1 is north of Dover, all the way south to Maryland, whether on entirely new location (put another toll on it), or partially upgrading the existing route / building new town bypasses. It's a shame some local opposition causes an entire corridor to be scaled back or removed, largely political driven ultimately. The corridor is needed to handle existing and future regional volumes, and a viable alternative for not only US-113, but also US-13.

At least they got the corridor north of Dover right.

An expressway design (free-flow, no signals) is planed in some areas it seems, but with the volumes the road handles during peak weekends and in the summer in general, full limited access is warranted. The local opposition is the same group of people that have to deal with turning onto a highway (where no signal or proposed interchange exists) with heavy, dense 70+ mph traffic, which is a significant safety hazard. It's not some lightly traveled corridor where spot upgrades are acceptable.

Alps

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 24, 2021, 02:13:45 PM
Quote from: froggie on June 24, 2021, 09:39:21 AM
Slightly, but not to a large extent. Both corridors are comparable. US-113 is also a regional corridor, DE-1 is a local connector to the beaches and Lewes.

What a joke. The corridor should've been built out to the same design DE-1 is north of Dover, all the way south to Maryland, whether on entirely new location (put another toll on it), or partially upgrading the existing route / building new town bypasses. It's a shame some local opposition causes an entire corridor to be scaled back or removed, largely political driven ultimately. The corridor is needed to handle existing and future regional volumes, and a viable alternative for not only US-113, but also US-13.

At least they got the corridor north of Dover right.

An expressway design (free-flow, no signals) is planed in some areas it seems, but with the volumes the road handles during peak weekends and in the summer in general, full limited access is warranted. The local opposition is the same group of people that have to deal with turning onto a highway (where no signal or proposed interchange exists) with heavy, dense 70+ mph traffic, which is a significant safety hazard. It's not some lightly traveled corridor where spot upgrades are acceptable.
There's actually a better corridor for a freeway, and that's halfway between 113 and 13 where density of development (towns or farms) is lowest and it then can tie into the Salisbury Bypass. But that's more expensive than upgrading in place.

sprjus4

Quote from: Alps on June 24, 2021, 07:12:57 PM
There's actually a better corridor for a freeway, and that's halfway between 113 and 13 where density of development (towns or farms) is lowest and it then can tie into the Salisbury Bypass. But that's more expensive than upgrading in place.
Agreed, and that's what I ultimately think Delaware should focus on. Construct a new toll road between either Frederica or Milford (upgrading SH-1 north of there to interstate standards) to Salisbury. If Maryland was ever to get on board with interstate-standard upgrades, US-13 is a much easier corridor for them to upgrade compared to US-113 given that US-13 is limited access (albeit with intersections) for the most part in the entire state.

Virginia is what would be any blockage to an Eastern Shore freeway, and IMO the state that is due for the most upgrades. The sheer amount of towns you pass through and intersections is ridiculous.

Alex4897

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 24, 2021, 07:21:31 PM
Agreed, and that's what I ultimately think Delaware should focus on. Construct a new toll road between either Frederica or Milford (upgrading SH-1 north of there to interstate standards) to Salisbury. If Maryland was ever to get on board with interstate-standard upgrades, US-13 is a much easier corridor for them to upgrade compared to US-113 given that US-13 is limited access (albeit with intersections) for the most part in the entire state.

Virginia is what would be any blockage to an Eastern Shore freeway, and IMO the state that is due for the most upgrades. The sheer amount of towns you pass through and intersections is ridiculous.

The bigger concern Delaware has really amounts to the ever expanding communities springing up around its and Maryland's beach communities, not so much traffic spanning the length of the peninsula to the CBBT. In my opinion, the closer any facility is to US 113 and points east, the better. A facility further west would certainly run into fewer ROW issues, but I don't think it'd serve to alleviate near as much traffic around areas like Georgetown / Millsboro and points east especially given how short the area is on good E - W capacity. Much of DelDOT's original plans went eastward around significant towns, most notably with a significant eastern bypass of the Millsboro - Dagsboro - Frankford area. As complicated as it would've been to build it compared to a western bypass, I think it would've been far more beneficial to the area in the long run in terms of traffic flow. Millsboro is getting to be a mess even outside the summer months, and I'm not super convinced that the DE 24 bypass they're going to be kicking off soon is going to make much of a difference.
👉😎👉

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 24, 2021, 10:11:18 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 24, 2021, 07:21:31 PM

The bigger concern Delaware has really amounts to the ever expanding communities springing up around its and Maryland's beach communities, not so much traffic spanning the length of the peninsula to the CBBT. In my opinion, the closer any facility is to US 113 and points east, the better. A facility further west would certainly run into fewer ROW issues, but I don't think it'd serve to alleviate near as much traffic around areas like Georgetown / Millsboro and points east especially given how short the area is on good E - W capacity. Much of DelDOT's original plans went eastward around significant towns, most notably with a significant eastern bypass of the Millsboro - Dagsboro - Frankford area. As complicated as it would've been to build it compared to a western bypass, I think it would've been far more beneficial to the area in the long run in terms of traffic flow. Millsboro is getting to be a mess even outside the summer months, and I'm not super convinced that the DE 24 bypass they're going to be kicking off soon is going to make much of a difference.

Yeah, when I did some clinching in southern DE on April 2nd, I was a bit shocked at how crazy the traffic was in the area even then.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

froggie

Passed thru Delaware a couple Mondays ago.  Only real traffic problem I had was the 113/24 intersection.  And what I observed there spoke far more to the need for east-west alternatives to 24 than it did improvements to 113.  This is consistent with years past when I traveled through the state regularly between Norfolk and New England.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

jeffandnicole

Join the Delaware Historical Society for a discussion about the history of the planning, development, and impact of Interstate 95 in the City of Wilmington. Using archival research and interviews with former residents of the Jackson-Adams and Maryland Avenue neighborhoods, Dr. Nina David, Samuel Seo, and Joshua Solge tell the story of the policymaking that led to the current location of I-95, and the people and places impacted along the way. In particular, the notable architecture, businesses and cultural institutions, and community life of neighborhoods that were uprooted.

https://bit.ly/3AJHpyW to sign up

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 15, 2021, 07:54:47 AM
(For DE 9) TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - Portion of Route 9 to be Closed for Replacement of Tidal Flood Gates

This will last for 5 months and affect access from Delaware City down DE 9 to Port Penn.

Hope the (old) St. Georges Bridge will hold up.  That's part of the detour (though I'm sure the 15 ton limit will remain).

ixnay

MASTERNC

The flashing yellow arrow on 12th Street at the I-95 NB ramp in Wilmington has returned.  This time there are two arrows that flash simultaneously as beacons over a pedestrian crossing sign.

74/171FAN

bluecountry

I know I am being a tad redundant but I have to ask:

1.  The construction at the junction of SB I-295 and I-95, what is being done and when will it be completed?
-I believe I was told they were making it so the shoulder lane on one side could be used for travel during peak times, but given the clearance and time it has taken, this seems like something more is being done.

2.  Back in 2017 there was a lot of construction on I-295 between I-95 and the DEMB, what exactly was done?

Thanks.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on July 25, 2021, 09:44:59 AM
I know I am being a tad redundant but I have to ask:

1.  The construction at the junction of SB I-295 and I-95, what is being done and when will it be completed?
-I believe I was told they were making it so the shoulder lane on one side could be used for travel during peak times, but given the clearance and time it has taken, this seems like something more is being done.

295 will remain separate from 95 for a bit longer than present.  It'll go under 141 before it merges with I-95.

The shoulder lane is a completely separate project.  I haven't seen anything done about that, and don't know its timeline.

Quote from: bluecountry on July 25, 2021, 09:44:59 AM
2.  Back in 2017 there was a lot of construction on I-295 between I-95 and the DEMB, what exactly was done?

The ramp from US 13/40 North to I-295 South was moved from being a flyover to a cloverleaf ramp.  I-495 North lost its "Exit Only" lane, and the right lane became an exit lane for both I-495 North and I-95 North.  That, in turn, modified I-295 South to be 3 continuous lanes from the toll plaza to the DE 141 Exit, where the left lane became an Exit Only lane for 141 South.

74/171FAN

ixnay

Are there now EZPass arches on DE 1 between the DE 299 (Odessa/Middletown) and North Smyrna interchanges (or on ramps)?  DelDOT's toll calculator shows a toll between that pair of interchanges (which are consecutive without an intervening interchange), but I don't see any arches in that stretch on GoogleSat.

ixnay

Alex4897

Quote from: ixnay on August 06, 2021, 02:03:31 PM
Are there now EZPass arches on DE 1 between the DE 299 (Odessa/Middletown) and North Smyrna interchanges (or on ramps)?  DelDOT's toll calculator shows a toll between that pair of interchanges (which are consecutive without an intervening interchange), but I don't see any arches in that stretch on GoogleSat.

ixnay

I haven't heard any news of such. I was able to get the toll calculator to display a $0.50 ramp toll if I punched in entering NB at Exit 119 (Smyrna) and exiting at exit 136 (Middletown) but I'm pretty confident that's an error.
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.