Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

When I go down there, it will be during the day on Wednesday, specifically so I can get pictures that I will send to the webmasters here on AARoads. So, hopefully they'll be up on the website in no time. And the weather looks to be great that day, which is a plus this time of year.

Alex

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 17, 2012, 11:47:52 AM
When I go down there, it will be during the day on Wednesday, specifically so I can get pictures that I will send to the webmasters here on AARoads. So, hopefully they'll be up on the website in no time. And the weather looks to be great that day, which is a plus this time of year.

We'll prioritize posting those too.

mukade

Some section 5 news, an editorial, and some facts and figures on the project (thanks to Indiana Economic Digest publishing Herald Times articles):

I think the plan is still to begin section 5 work in 2013. That may only be land acquisition or they may award bids for small projects.  It depends on finding a funding source, of course, but it seems to be a bipartisan priority.

mukade

First thing of note is that this article says the road opens at 6:00 pm tomorrow, not 5:00 pm (in case anyone is going). Being the Indy Star, they have to devote a good portion to Tom Tokarski and CARR, but there is some interesting information in there.

New I-69 opens Monday; Gov. Mitch Daniels to lead parade on motorcycle (Indianapolis Star)

tdindy88

I was reading that about CARR and its leader, I actually didn't know that he had property along the new I-69 route. I'm sure I know the answer to this...but is that the real reason for his wanting to keep the interstate out? Is his argument more self-interest than anything else?

NE2

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 18, 2012, 11:30:32 PM
I was reading that about CARR and its leader, I actually didn't know that he had property along the new I-69 route. I'm sure I know the answer to this...but is that the real reason for his wanting to keep the interstate out? Is his argument more self-interest than anything else?
One of the early promoters of I-69 owns property along the route, I believe at the US 50 interchange. Don't ignore his self-interest.

There's a recent book about I-69 that I recommend; it seems to cover both sides fairly.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Most people's arguments about most things are probably at least rooted in self-interest, if not entirely self-serving.  Like this one time I saw a guy having trouble pushing his vehicle at a gas station: I got out and helped him push – because he was in my way.  Not a perfect example, as that was an action and not an argument, and I might well have helped the guy even if it didn't immediately helped me, but it's a fun anecdote for me to tell. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

mukade

Quote from: NE2 on November 18, 2012, 11:37:17 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on November 18, 2012, 11:30:32 PM
One of the early promoters of I-69 owns property along the route, I believe at the US 50 interchange. Don't ignore his self-interest.

There's a recent book about I-69 that I recommend; it seems to cover both sides fairly.

The person from Washington who kicked off the campaign to build I-69 may benefit financially, but the state and the majority of people in the region also will benefit. Nothing wrong with what he did - all he did was to make a case to legislators and other business leaders. I would say almost every project is kicked off by self interest to some extent. An example of what would be wrong is what former Speaker Dennis Hastert apparently did which was to buy a bunch of land, and then earmark money for a highway nearby. The problem with Tom Tokarski and CARR is they tend to consistently greatly exagerrate, at best, or lie (at least in my opinion). Their predictions have consistently been wrong and they use scare tactics to try to make points.

The documentary which aired on local PBS stations, which is somewhat based on the book, is also not bad. Everyone recognizes there are two sides to the story, but as the primary story today is I-69 is ready to open, is it appropriate to devote that much space (once again) to this person and his oragnization?

trafficsignal

Quote from: mukade on November 18, 2012, 12:04:28 PM
Some section 5 news, an editorial, and some facts and figures on the project (thanks to Indiana Economic Digest publishing Herald Times articles):

Am I the only one that finds 1) the headline completely different than the article (Could vs. Will), and 2) completely inaccurate?  The DEIS is a worst case scenario, designed to find the maximum impact the road will have.  The article states that it "will displace 150 homes, 32 businesses, and one church".  Is that absolute?  I remember in the DEIS for I-465NE in Indy, most of the office buildings between I-465 & Shadeland were highlighted as possible takes, but it ended up that no R/W was even needed along that area.  It sounds to me like the Bloomington paper is trying to make it sound worse than it'll actually be, but am I totally off-base here?

Henry

Quote from: trafficsignal on November 19, 2012, 08:03:07 AM
Quote from: mukade on November 18, 2012, 12:04:28 PM

Am I the only one that finds 1) the headline completely different than the article (Could vs. Will), and 2) completely inaccurate?  The DEIS is a worst case scenario, designed to find the maximum impact the road will have.  The article states that it "will displace 150 homes, 32 businesses, and one church".  Is that absolute?  I remember in the DEIS for I-465NE in Indy, most of the office buildings between I-465 & Shadeland were highlighted as possible takes, but it ended up that no R/W was even needed along that area.  It sounds to me like the Bloomington paper is trying to make it sound worse than it'll actually be, but am I totally off-base here?

As I-69 would be routed along IN 37, it would be better off using an upgraded portion of the existing roadway, rather than a parallel new-terrain alignment, as this is the only direct connection from Bloomington to Indy anyway. But time will tell.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WrkHrse

First 67 mile extension Northward opens by 1800 Monday, Nov. 19th. Interstate will be open between I-64 and US-231.

http://www.wthr.com/story/20133259/indiana-ready-to-open-first-half-of-i-69-extension

SW Indiana

Almost time  :colorful:!! Just drove through interchange at US 50. Covers are removed from the BGS and INDOT workers are parked at each ramp, ready to remove the barricades!

ShawnP

Who gets the first speeding ticket.

Grzrd

Quote from: mukade on November 19, 2012, 07:18:26 AM
The problem with Tom Tokarski and CARR is they tend to consistently greatly exagerrate, at best, or lie (at least in my opinion). Their predictions have consistently been wrong and they use scare tactics to try to make points.
The documentary which aired on local PBS stations, which is somewhat based on the book, is also not bad.

For those who have not viewed the documentary, here is a link to it:

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/special-features/i-69-are-we-there-yet/video/

The link includes a Q & A session with a three-person panel, including Tokarski, after the documentary is finished.

mukade

Quote from: Henry on November 19, 2012, 11:44:22 AM
As I-69 would be routed along IN 37, it would be better off using an upgraded portion of the existing roadway, rather than a parallel new-terrain alignment, as this is the only direct connection from Bloomington to Indy anyway. But time will tell.

Part of the existing road will become a frontage road for some key businesses. Most of the existing SR 37 roadway will become I-69, but hopefully, it will all get rebuilt.

mukade

There are numerous articles in the press today, but the Bloomington Herald article below has some interesting pictures of where section 4 begins.

Tomorrow, there will be special letting that includes the last contract on section 4 of I-69. All original bids were rejected for being too high a couple of months ago. This is an expensive section due to the rugged terrain.

vtk

OSM now shows the highway complete and open to US 231.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

theline

Quote from: Grzrd on November 19, 2012, 04:46:09 PM
Quote from: mukade on November 19, 2012, 07:18:26 AM
The problem with Tom Tokarski and CARR is they tend to consistently greatly exagerrate, at best, or lie (at least in my opinion). Their predictions have consistently been wrong and they use scare tactics to try to make points.
The documentary which aired on local PBS stations, which is somewhat based on the book, is also not bad.

For those who have not viewed the documentary, here is a link to it:

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/special-features/i-69-are-we-there-yet/video/

The link includes a Q & A session with a three-person panel including Tokarski after the documentary is finished.

Thanks for the link to the documentary. Does anyone have info on the book, like title & author?

theline

Quote from: vtk on November 19, 2012, 07:37:17 PM
OSM now shows the highway complete and open to US 231.

Only parts of it, so far.  :-/

NE2

Quote from: theline on November 19, 2012, 08:32:03 PM
Thanks for the link to the documentary. Does anyone have info on the book, like title & author?
http://www.mattdellinger.com/i69/about.html
My local library has it for whatever reason.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

theline

Quote from: NE2 on November 19, 2012, 08:37:50 PM

Thanks. It's not available in the South Bend library, alas. Maybe I'll ask Santa for it.

NE2

Quote from: theline on November 19, 2012, 08:48:10 PM

Thanks. It's not available in the South Bend library, alas. Maybe I'll ask Santa for it.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/interstate-69-the-unfinished-history-of-the-last-great-american-highway/oclc/464593120&referer=brief_results
Looks like several public libraries near South Bend have it, as well as Notre Dame. http://sjcpl.lib.in.us/policies/publicpolicy/psmanual.html#ill says that the South Bend library has interlibrary loan.

mukade

Quote from: theline on November 19, 2012, 08:48:10 PM

From Amazon:

8 new from $0.14
43 used from $0.01

ShawnP

So which road geek will get the first speeding ticket?

thefro

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/live-chat-interstate-69-opens-40347/

Lots of photos here

As far as the process of upgrading SR 37 from Bloomington to Indianapolis to I-69, it's definitely needed as the traffic on that segment is defintely more than on I-74 outside of I-465, and probably more than most of I-70 outside of I-465.  Getting the SR 37 Bloomington bypass up to Interstate standards would probably be my next step if I was in charge after the Crane to Bloomington segment is done if they can't get the funding to do the whole Bloomington to Martinsville segment at once.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.