News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

SkyPesos

Who needs all these interstate highways when the free option, the "do nothing"  one, is a choice. It's there for people that thinks America is spending too much on transportation infrastructure.  :bigass:

silverback1065

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 28, 2021, 08:19:20 PM
Who needs all these interstate highways when the free option, the "do nothing"  one, is a choice. It's there for people that thinks America is spending too much on transportation infrastructure.  :bigass:

Man look at all the money we would save if we just simply didn't do anything. We'd all be millionaires!  :-D

The Ghostbuster

Although this is very unlikely, if someone proposed upgrading SR 37 to freeway standards between the southern junction of IN 37/Interstate 69 in Bloomington, and the IN 37/US 50/US 50 Business interchange south of Bedford, would you support it? And if so, would you give it an Interstate designation, such as Interstate 169?

andy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 29, 2021, 03:11:34 PM
Although this is very unlikely, if someone proposed upgrading SR 37 to freeway standards between the southern junction of IN 37/Interstate 69 in Bloomington, and the IN 37/US 50/US 50 Business interchange south of Bedford, would you support it? And if so, would you give it an Interstate designation, such as Interstate 169?

That and more is an option being discussed to connect I69 to US231 at I64 in Dale, IN. This is a thread titled Mid-States Corridor https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25352.0
If designated as an interstate, I-67 has been suggested by some.

silverback1065

No an interstate down that route would be dubious at best. 69 was built because one of the states largest cities needed to be connected to it's capital. 37 down to bedford and mitchell functions perfectly fine.

ITB

To be sure, it is unlikely SR 37 south of Bloomington will be upgraded to interstate standards anytime soon. But it isn't out of the question. Any decision to upgrade SR 37 likely will depend on what happens with the Mid-States Corridor project. If that project is given the green light, and proposed Route O is selected, which is very possible, the chances of SR 37 being upgraded will increase. For those unfamiliar with the Mid-States Corridor project, proposed Route O runs east/northeast from Jasper toward French Lick and continues up to Mitchell, where it intersects with SR 37.

Even if the Mid-States Corridor project doesn't move forward, or a different routing is chosen, there's still a good chance upgrades to SR 37 will happen. The issue is safety. Sadly, over the years, there have been numerous major incidents at the principal SR 37 intersections in Lawrence County and southern Monroe County. In time, it's possible some of these intersections will be upgraded to interchanges.

Here's a couple of screen shots of the SR 37/SR 58 intersection near Avoca in northern Lawrence County.

Courtesy Google Maps
State Road 37/State Road 58 intersection in Lawrence County; looking north.

Courtesy Google Maps
Another view; looking north. Note the crosses in memory of those who have perished at this location.

silverback1065

If anything you will see J-Turns in this area. and other non interstate upgrades for safety.

sparker

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 29, 2021, 04:22:58 PM
If anything you will see J-Turns in this area. and other non interstate upgrades for safety.

Is the total aggregate population of the area served sufficient to warrant any more than "spot" fixes to the existing 4-lane routes?  IIRC, the "mid-cities" corridor was being spearheaded by officials down in Owensboro, KY in order to get a N-S corridor that would serve their city designated (and taking advantage of the US 231 bridge and approaches).  Now that they've got the Natcher signed as I-165, perhaps their desire for a longer corridor might be somewhat abated these days. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: sparker on June 29, 2021, 05:05:07 PM

Is the total aggregate population of the area served sufficient to warrant any more than "spot" fixes to the existing 4-lane routes?  IIRC, the "mid-cities" corridor was being spearheaded by officials down in Owensboro, KY in order to get a N-S corridor that would serve their city designated (and taking advantage of the US 231 bridge and approaches).  Now that they've got the Natcher signed as I-165, perhaps their desire for a longer corridor might be somewhat abated these days. 

US 231 south of I-64 is fine as is. North of I-64 it could use expansion to 4 lanes and bypasses of Huntingburg and Jasper. Don't think it needs to be full freeway though.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

I would say no and considering the I-67 proposal i think this is the lowest of the low priority. there are an endless amount of more important things for INDOT to spend its money on here:

6 laning 65 across the state
6 laning 70 across the state
turning US 31 into an interstate from Indy to the state line
finishing i-69 including the ohio river bridge
random preventative maintenance projects
Potentially turning US 30 into in interstate like facility from SR 49 to I-69
insert something remotely important here

I-67  :-D

SkyPesos

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 29, 2021, 05:11:57 PM
insert something remotely important here
Some sort of IN 46 upgrade between Bloomington and Greensburg (4 lane divided (least likely), 4 lane undivided, alternating third passing lane, etc).

ibthebigd

Roundabout Interchanges from I-69 to IN 38 in Noblesville

Try Roundabout Interchanges on US 36  to Avon

SM-G950U

ITB

The Mid-States Corridor project is much more an Indiana project than a joint IN-KY program, even though the sponsoring entity is called the Mid-States Regional Development Authority (RDA). To what extent Kentucky is involved, I don't know. The Tier 1 corridor study, which is now nearing completion, was funded 50% by local private business entities in southern Indiana and 50% by the state. The preferred route of the corridor is expected to be released by the end of the year. In February, it was announced that freeway options were no longer being considered due to cost, but Expressway and Super 2 options were still under consideration.

While I am not well versed in the project, it appears there is significant support, both financial and otherwise, in moving the project forward. The interests that control the entertainment and recreational facilities in and around French Lick have been vocal in wanting improved transportation access. These interests, as well as others, have the attention of the state and INDOT, evidenced by the state funding part of the Tier 1 study. As already noted, we're well along in the process, and the preferred corridor route is to be identified this year. When that happens we'll have a better sense where the project stands. I tend to think the Tier 1 study will identify a feasible corridor and that the "no build" option will be dropped.

To view a map of the proposed corridors, click here.

silverback1065

I really don't like the idea of a new interstate tearing up the nice topography of that area. it's actually pretty nice to drive. There aren't very many areas like that in the state. it's so sparely populated I don't see any point of anything more than a 4 lane divided at grade highway and even that's a stretch.

tdindy88

I would say extend the four-lane expressway north from I-64 to bypass Huntingburg and Jasper up probably to the SR 56 split in Haysville and then maybe a two or four lane bypass around Loogootee and just have spot improvements everywhere else with some passing lanes.

I-55

Quote from: ibthebigd on June 29, 2021, 06:22:00 PM
Roundabout Interchanges from I-69 to IN 38 in Noblesville
SM-G950U

I assume you're referring to IN-37?
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Avalanchez71

Quote from: ITB on June 29, 2021, 07:10:03 PM

The Mid-States Corridor project is much more an Indiana project than a joint IN-KY program, even though the sponsoring entity is called the Mid-States Regional Development Authority (RDA). To what extent Kentucky is involved, I don't know. The Tier 1 corridor study, which is now nearing completion, was funded 50% by local private business entities in southern Indiana and 50% by the state. The preferred route of the corridor is expected to be released by the end of the year. In February, it was announced that freeway options were no longer being considered due to cost, but Expressway and Super 2 options were still under consideration.

While I am not well versed in the project, it appears there is significant support, both financial and otherwise, in moving the project forward. The interests that control the entertainment and recreational facilities in and around French Lick have been vocal in wanting improved transportation access. These interests, as well as others, have the attention of the state and INDOT, evidenced by the state funding part of the Tier 1 study. As already noted, we're well along in the process, and the preferred corridor route is to be identified this year. When that happens we'll have a better sense where the project stands. I tend to think the Tier 1 study will identify a feasible corridor and that the "no build" option will be dropped.

Seriously as if I-69 was not enough.

silverback1065

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 30, 2021, 11:59:52 AM

I think it is. I've always thought I-67 was an absurd idea and an insane waste of money. not every cooridor should be an interstate. This one never made sense to me. At least 69 connects Indy with Eville and Memphis. 67 would connect what exactly?

sprjus4

I feel the Mid-States corridor would be better built out ultimately as a four lane divided highway for connecting smaller towns to larger cities, it doesn't warrant a full interstate highway design.

SkyPesos

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 30, 2021, 04:23:52 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 30, 2021, 11:59:52 AM

I think it is. I've always thought I-67 was an absurd idea and an insane waste of money. not every cooridor should be an interstate. This one never made sense to me. At least 69 connects Indy with Eville and Memphis. 67 would connect what exactly?
Indy to South Bend? Unless you're talking about a potential extension of I-67 down the Mid-states corridor.

sprjus4

^ That's what he's talking about...

ITB

To recap briefly, in Indiana, the principal objective of the Mid-States Corridor project is to improve the highway connection between Interstate 69 and the cities of Jasper and Huntingburg in Dubois County. Also in the mix are the business interests of French Lick/West Baden in Orange County which are wanting improved highway access to their communities. At this time, various options to improve highway connectivity to I-69 in the region are under consideration in a Tier 1 study. The results of the study are expected to be released sometime in the next six months. As I noted in a earlier post, freeway options are no longer under consideration, but expressway and Super 2 options are still being reviewed. Let's be clear, the Mid-States Corridor project is not an Interstate project.

All of the routes of the proposed corridor stem from the intersection of US 231 and I-64 near Dale, Indiana, and head north, and include bypasses of both Jasper and Huntingburg. Under consideration is where these bypasses might be located, either to the west of the cities or to the east. In contrast to some areas in southwest Indiana, both Huntingburg and Jasper are growing communities, particularly the city of Jasper which has seen an increase in population of 50% since 1990. Even without the Mid-States Corridor project, it was going to be only a matter of time before bypasses of both cities would be proposed and eventually constructed. Since US 231 is an expressway between Dale and the Natcher Bridge it seems logical that the proposed route north toward Huntingburg and Jasper also be constructed as an expressway.

So, if one accepts that bypasses of Huntingburg and Jasper are to be constructed, the next decision is where to place the route that will link into I-69. Should it be to the west near Washington, to the north at Scotland, or to the east via State Road 37 at either Mitchell or Bedford? This is where it gets a little tricky. Which route is best, which can be best justified. On these points the consultants have to bear down and work hard on their analysis. Once a preferred route has been identified, if any, the analysis will then turn to the type of road is to be built, whether it should be an expressway or a Super 2. Again, what type of road can be justified, what is financially feasible. And that's where things stand today. We'll have some clarification when the Tier 1 results are released later this year.

sprjus4

^ If a super 2 design is chosen, it should at least be constructed with the right of way and ability to be twinned into a proper 4 lane divided highway in the future.

SkyPesos

Never would I have thought that US 231 south of I-69 would get upgraded before IN 46 between Bloomington and Greensburg. Guess this seems like the case now...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.