News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Austin: IH 35 rebuild

Started by MaxConcrete, April 25, 2019, 12:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

This news report says that Austin is seeking a loan up to $193 million for an I-35 deck park.

According to the report, Austin has already secured a $105.2 million grant for the work, which is the cap on the south side of downtown from Cesar Chavez to 4th Street. The total cost is estimated at $600 million to $900 million, so more money will be needed. It isn't clear if the cost estimate is for all the caps or just this first cap.

QuoteAustin eyes $193M loan request to 'cap and stitch' I-35
Request comes after city secured millions in federal funds

With I-35 expansion efforts in the works near downtown, Austin City Council is eyeing a $193 million state loan request to support highway coverings through the city's "Cap and Stitch" program.

"Our Future 35" is the city initiative behind the cap and stitch program, which seeks to cover sunken portions of the expanded I-35 with deck plazas. Those caps can house green space, small buildings, art displays and other community amenities.

On March 21, Austin City Council will consider asking the city manager to submit a loan application with the State Infrastructure Bank, which is overseen by the Texas Department of Transportation. The request is not to exceed $193 million, per council documents.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Echostatic

The $600M-ish figure is for all the caps.
Travelled in part or in full.

Bobby5280

If the cost gets any higher it won't be much different than just deep boring some tunnels.

armadillo speedbump

The caps only benefit the city of Austin, therefore the city of Austin should pay 100% of the cost of the caps.  It is the wealthiest per capita metro in the state, why should the rest of us pay for a purely aesthetic and snob appeal amenity for them?  Same for any freeway cap, those are solely of very local benefit.  The vast majority of the population would benefit more from those limited tax dollars being spent on expanding and improving the regional road network.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.