News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Detroit-Windsor bridge named after Gordie Howe

Started by Brandon, May 14, 2015, 11:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

New Detroit-Windsor bridge named after Gordie Howe

QuoteA long-sought new bridge over the Detroit River will be named after legendary Detroit Red Wings star Gordie Howe, according to a source close to the deliberations.

The official name will be announced at a noon event by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Gov. Rick Snyder announced Thursday.

Snyder has been a key ally to Harper's government in a years-long battle to build a new $2.1 billion span, which had been dubbed the New International Trade Crossing. The Canadians are paying for all the constructions costs of the span between southwest Detroit and Windsor, roughly two miles from the privately owned Ambassador Bridge.

Hopefully they shut out Mouron while he's in the sin bin.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

getemngo

QuoteThe bridge is expected to be completed by 2020

This is about 10 years sooner than I'm expecting. :rolleyes:
~ Sam from Michigan

Stephane Dumas

As Bart Simpson might said: "Eat my shirt Coleman A. Young".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :-D

Big John

thenetwork

It would almost make it a natural now for Matty Maroun to want to rename the Ambassador Bridge the Coleman A. Young Memorial Bridge.

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on May 15, 2015, 01:24:35 AM
It would almost make it a natural now for Matty Maroun to want to rename the Ambassador Bridge the Coleman A. Young Memorial Bridge.

That'd be one motherfucking bridge.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

Even though he once played on the Blackhawks' fiercest rival, no one can argue that Gordie Howe was the greatest player of his generation, and to have a bridge named after him is a well-deserved honor indeed.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hockeyjohn

It would be fitting to have the Michigan approach to the Gordie Howe Bridge designated M-9.

The Ghostbuster

Will the bridge have a highway designation? Maybe for continuity sake, it could be M-401.

triplemultiplex

Seems I-worthy to me.  Should be an x75.

Some of us might know Gordie Howe as "Woodrow". ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ARMOURERERIC

Moron can rename his the Barry Gordie Bridge and get travellers really confused

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Henry on May 15, 2015, 01:04:52 PM
Even though he once played on the Blackhawks' fiercest rival, no one can argue that Gordie Howe was the greatest player of his generation, and to have a bridge named after him is a well-deserved honor indeed.

Is getting your name on a bridge connecting Detroit with Windsor really an honor?

oscar

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 17, 2015, 02:52:51 PM

What about making it the new east end of I-96 (extending the existing multiplex with part of I-75)?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

GaryV

Quote from: oscar on May 18, 2015, 09:59:34 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 17, 2015, 02:52:51 PM

What about making it the new east end of I-96 (extending the existing multiplex with part of I-75)?

Except a very low percentage of traffic from the bridge would be going to I-96 (and vice versa).

thenetwork

Since they want to get rid of I-375 thru downtown Dee-troit, why not relocate that I-number down to the new bridge?  The timing would probably be perfect.

cpzilliacus

Matty Moroun and his company gets (mostly) KO'd in U.S. federal court in Washington, D.C.

FreeP.COM: Morouns lose on virtually all counts in bridge lawsuit

QuoteWASHINGTON – A federal judge on Wednesday dismissed virtually all of the remaining legal counts in a lawsuit against the U.S. government brought by owners of the Ambassador Bridge, rejecting Manuel (Matty) Moroun's contention that his company has an exclusive rights to operate a span to Canada in Detroit without competition.

QuoteThe 57-page opinion filed by U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer in Washington represents another victory for proponents of the Gordie Howe International Bridge, a publicly owned span proposed to be built almost entirely at Canada's expense. It would rival the 86-year-old, privately owned Ambassador Bridge and, if estimates are correct, consume up to 75% of its truck traffic, likely ruining any chance the Morouns have of building their own second span.

QuoteCanada has long pursued a publicly owned bridge even as some have argued vociferously against a second Ambassador Bridge span landing from Detroit in a Windsor neighborhood along a road where truck traffic backs up. Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, meanwhile, has been a key proponent of the rival span, entering into an agreement with the Canadian government to get it built as a way to create jobs and protect one of the busiest trade borders in the world.

QuoteIn her opinion Wednesday, Collyer granted a request by federal officials to dismiss seven of the remaining eight legal arguments brought in the 5-year-old lawsuit by Moroun and his family, who control the Detroit International Bridge Company which owns and operates the Ambassador Bridge and have been engaged in a fierce fight to get plans for their own second span authorized and block the rival span.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.