News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

This is about the City of Milwaukee making money as it will only take place in the City to enforce traffic regulations.  I'm sure it will be deployed elsewhere if it successfully rakes in the cash.  Oh and it survives lawsuits.

tchafe1978

Milwaukee has had a big problem with people running red lights. This is supposedly to aid in enforcement of red light runners, not to, ahem, raise cash. I mean, cops can't be everywhere all the time to catch the red light runners. Not that I totally agree with red light cameras, but if it helps cut down on the problem, and reduces accidents, short of stringing people up by their toenails, why not give it a shot?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: tchafe1978 on September 18, 2019, 04:05:44 PM
Milwaukee has had a big problem with people running red lights. This is supposedly to aid in enforcement of red light runners, not to, ahem, raise cash. I mean, cops can't be everywhere all the time to catch the red light runners. Not that I totally agree with red light cameras, but if it helps cut down on the problem, and reduces accidents, short of stringing people up by their toenails, why not give it a shot?

I don't really mind, but study after study has shown that it doesn't make things safer. 

Revive 755

They'll say it's for safety, then probably stick most of the speed cameras on the interstates and WI 794.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 18, 2019, 09:57:36 PM
They'll say it's for safety, then probably stick most of the speed cameras on the interstates and WI 794.
vehicle owners not the driver and how far out of state will they go? And can the city put speed cameras on a state road? and if they do have them on them they should set them to speed + 10 MPH on interstates

SEWIGuy

If you read the article, these are not going on interstates.

DaBigE

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 18, 2019, 11:59:24 PM
If you read the article, these are not going on interstates.

It doesn't say that explicitly.
Quote from: Articleplace cameras at signaled intersections and other roadways to automatically enforce speed-limit and red-light violations

Given the bill's sponsors and the following statement, it's not hard to postulate they may migrate there:
Quote from: ArticleKenosha County Sheriff David Beth and traffic-safety expert David Noyce told The Journal Times last month that they supported such measures to curb Interstate 94 crashes during the current construction.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

gbgoose

Looks like I-41 between Appleton and De Pere is on the schedule for 2025-2029.  I am still hoping this gets moved up as this is a crazy stretch of highway.

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/local/2019/09/24/41-expansion-project-between-appleton-and-de-pere-planned-start-2025/2427163001/

mgk920

Quote from: gbgoose on September 25, 2019, 07:32:09 AM
Looks like I-41 between Appleton and De Pere is on the schedule for 2025-2029.  I am still hoping this gets moved up as this is a crazy stretch of highway.

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/local/2019/09/24/41-expansion-project-between-appleton-and-de-pere-planned-start-2025/2427163001/

Could you post a few fair use excepts, I'm out of 'wishes' with them.

Mike

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: mgk920 on September 25, 2019, 10:12:27 AM
Could you post a few fair use excepts, I'm out of 'wishes' with them.

Quote from: the entire articleAPPLETON - The expansion of Interstate 41 between Appleton and De Pere is scheduled to begin in 2025 and be completed in 2029.

Appleton Public Works Director Paula Vandehey announced the schedule after meeting with officials from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation last week.

"They are very enthusiastic about this project, and they have a green light to go," Vandehey told Appleton's Municipal Services Committee on Monday.

The expansion project will stretch 23.6 miles between State 96 (Wisconsin Avenue) in Grand Chute and Scheuring Road in De Pere. It will widen the highway from two lanes to three lanes in each direction to reduce congestion and crash rates.

"That's the gap that's left that's two lanes," DOT Regional Communications Manager Mark Kantola told The Post-Crescent. "Once we widen that, it will be three lanes all the way from Green Bay to Oshkosh."

Money to start the project was included in the 2019-21 state budget.

Vandehey said the DOT will conduct environmental studies from 2020 to 2022, purchase right of way and complete the design and engineering from 2023 to 2024 and construct the improvements from 2025 to 2029.

"(It's) good news for anyone who gets stuck out on 41 just about every day," she said.

Alderwoman Patti Coenen agreed, though she noted the completion date is still a decade away.

"At least they have something in place," Coenen said. "It's a bad stretch of highway. Anybody who drives it with the two lanes, it's very difficult."

Vandehey said the I-41 expansion has been classified as a major project by DOT officials and should hold its place against other projects competing for funding.

"Their feeling is there is no project that's going to have a higher priority and that's going to bump this," Vandehey said.

Grand Chute police said there were 890 crashes on the stretch of I-41 near Appleton and Grand Chute between August 2016 and September 2018. In the same period, police recorded more than 4,700 traffic incidents, including 907 reports of reckless drivers.

mgk920

An interesting traffic note on that part of I-41 is that before the Green Bay area upgrades to six and eight lanes (most of I-41 in the Green Bay area is now 8 lanes), post Packer game traffic was LOS-F the whole way southbound from north of Lombardi Ave (north of the stadium) to at least the Wrightstown area, now it is free-flowing southbound to about the Ashland Ave merge area where it starts piling up for the three to two lane drop south of Scheuring Rd.  Upgraded to six lanes, the entire highway will likely be free-flowing post-game.

And to think, until about 1968, US 41 was still a two lane highway between Kaukauna and De Pere.

:-o

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on September 25, 2019, 10:22:31 AM
An interesting traffic note on that part of I-41 is that before the Green Bay area upgrades to six and eight lanes (most of I-41 in the Green Bay area is now 8 lanes), post Packer game traffic was LOS-F the whole way southbound from north of Lombardi Ave (north of the stadium) to at least the Wrightstown area, now it is free-flowing southbound to about the Ashland Ave merge area where it starts piling up for the three to two lane drop south of Scheuring Rd.  Upgraded to six lanes, the entire highway will likely be free-flowing post-game.

And to think, until about 1968, US 41 was still a two lane highway between Kaukauna and De Pere.

Mike

15-20 years ago, people still had driveways and mailboxes on US-41.

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 25, 2019, 10:34:20 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on September 25, 2019, 10:22:31 AM

Mike

15-20 years ago, people still had driveways and mailboxes on US-41.

The last of those was cut off in about 2000 when US 41 was upgraded to a full freeway between Kaukauna and De Pere.  The present-day SB side on the first part south of Scheuring Rd was built in the median at that time and the previous SB side there is now the highway's west frontage road.

Mike

thspfc

Speaking of removing driveways, I would like to see that happen on US-151 between Columbus and FDL.

fuller523

The West Waukesha Bypass is making progress.  They have a US-18 reassurance shield on the new roadway, but nothing yet posted and covered on the existing bypass.  Not sure if the new roadway will be part of the "Les Paul Parkway" or just simply US-18.  Still has a ways to go as WI-59 east of the bypass is still using only the WB lanes.  It was interesting that layout of the Future US-18/WI-59/CR-X intersections is the way it was prior to the late 90s.  For some reason, I think going west on 59 will be backed up with the two stoplights right next to each other.

mgk920

I'm kind of thinking that that SW intersection with WI 59 would have been a good place for a roundabout.

That said, the west part of the Waukesha bypass is a road that I had always thought was lost to the 1970s memory hole of cancelled major highway proposals.  And now it is being built.

There is still hope in this World.

:nod:

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Construction The West Waukesha Bypass (unsurprisingly) is not shown on Google Maps, although the Street View is up-to-date enough to show construction on a few side-roads.

thspfc

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 02, 2019, 02:57:17 PM
Construction The West Waukesha Bypass (unsurprisingly) is not shown on Google Maps, although the Street View is up-to-date enough to show construction on a few side-roads.
I'll believe that this construction is done when I see it myself.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 02, 2019, 02:57:17 PM
Of course not it will be once it's opened.

tchafe1978

Just got back home from a trip through Dodgeville. US 151 is being rebuilt between the Dodgeville exits, along with all the interchange ramps. Heading east on US 18, the overhead sign for the ramp to US 151 south now contains a state shield error for US 151. Couldn't get a picture, but how does that happen? :poke: :banghead: :pan:

SSOWorld

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 20, 2019, 05:49:06 PM
Just got back home from a trip through Dodgeville. US 151 is being rebuilt between the Dodgeville exits, along with all the interchange ramps. Heading east on US 18, the overhead sign for the ramp to US 151 south now contains a state shield error for US 151. Couldn't get a picture, but how does that happen? :poke: :banghead: :pan:
Contractors (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DaBigE

Suggest you peruse this thread: US/State mixup shield error signs
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

tchafe1978

Quote from: DaBigE on October 20, 2019, 08:37:38 PM

Suggest you peruse this thread: US/State mixup shield error signs

I saw the post about the WI 191 being posted as US 191 before, but we didn't go through downtown Dodgeville today, which is where that error is. Funny, though, that there would be two mistakes in the same city, but in "opposite directions".

MKEDavenH

I came through that interchange yesterday, too. It wasn't just the US-151 S ramp. The sign for US-18 E / US-151 N / Madison also had Wisconsin state highway shields. Unfortunately my brain wasn't working quickly enough to grab my phone and click a picture.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: MKEDavenH on October 21, 2019, 10:30:08 AM

I came through that interchange yesterday, too. It wasn't just the US-151 S ramp. The sign for US-18 E / US-151 N / Madison also had Wisconsin state highway shields. Unfortunately my brain wasn't working quickly enough to grab my phone and click a picture.

My one of the weekend was taking WI-82 towards Oxford from Mauston.  When coming to WI-13 the JCT sign has a US 13 shield and then the sign following has 13 and 82 as US Highways from that sign.

So I guess magically at this point I'm in the southern US or along the Atlantic coast at that intersection lol  :spin:
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.