News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

RDU Meet-July 30, 2022

Started by 74/171FAN, March 04, 2021, 04:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When should the rescheduled RDU Meet be?

July 9, 2022
0 (0%)
July 16, 2022
0 (0%)
July 30, 2022
3 (30%)
September 10, 2022
3 (30%)
November 12, 2022
2 (20%)
Other
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 03, 2022, 09:06:15 PM

74/171FAN

As most of us know, the East End Connector project is currently scheduled to be completed in June 2021. 

Having stated that (and with the postponement of the Outer Banks Meet for another year), I have decided to put together a meet in the Raleigh-Durham area this summer to focus on the East End Connector (obviously including a clinch of the newly designated I-885 of course).  I am also looking into other road-related sights in the areas of Durham and the Research Triangle Park (RTP) worth seeing.

As with other meets during the COVID-19 pandemic, this will be another BYOL affair.  Right now, I am expecting the meeting place to be at Northgate Park (across from Keystone Church at (2500 Arcadia St, Durham, NC, 27704)).

Anyway, there will be more details to follow.  I will edit this post as time gets closer.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Right now calendar is wide open and I'll need to burn a week of vacation time anyway.

A.J. Bertin

I am interested, but with the other road meets that are on tentatively on the calendar for 2021, I'm not sure how likely it is that I'd be able to attend this one.  I'd love to explore that part of North Carolina, though.
-A.J. from Michigan

Takumi

No preference. I’m only 2 hours away so as long as I’m off work I should be in. If I can parlay that with a Triad-area Cars & Coffee, even better. (As best I can tell, Cars & Coffee Raleigh is the second Saturday of each month, which in this case would be the 10th, but is currently on hiatus due to the plague. We’ll see if that changes by July.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

I'd love to get back to Durham, though it would be weird driving along Erwin Road and seeing where my apartment used to be since the building was demolished. I don't know whether this summer will work at this point because it depends on a possible trip to Florida, which in turn depends on vaccines.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CanesFan27

I would suggest 885 (really the connector is going to be blink and you miss it) and drive down to Fuquay and tour the 540 construction between there and 40 in Garner.

Alps

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 06, 2021, 08:56:13 PM
I would suggest 885 (really the connector is going to be blink and you miss it) and drive down to Fuquay and tour the 540 construction between there and 40 in Garner.
You had mentioned something to me about 440 as well. Not familiar with what's still ongoing, thought they finished those improvements.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Alps on March 06, 2021, 09:53:49 PM
You had mentioned something to me about 440 as well. Not familiar with what's still ongoing, thought they finished those improvements.

440 is being widened from Wade Ave to 40.  I'm not sure if there are any good vantage points of it versus just a drive-thru (Granted I'm in Charlotte now so I haven't been on it in two years)  There's the pedestrian bridge/bike trail that is over 440 at Wade Avenue but it's not that easily accessible for a meet.  Have to walk a bit from either the Museum of Art or Meredith College to get there.

froggie

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 06, 2021, 10:17:50 PM
440 is being widened from Wade Ave to 40.  I'm not sure if there are any good vantage points of it versus just a drive-thru (Granted I'm in Charlotte now so I haven't been on it in two years)  There's the pedestrian bridge/bike trail that is over 440 at Wade Avenue but it's not that easily accessible for a meet.  Have to walk a bit from either the Museum of Art or Meredith College to get there.

There's a trail parking lot a half-mile from the bridge on Horton St.  We've had past precedent for such walks at meets.

One could also probably park at the Whole Foods at Wade & Ridge.  Similar distance as the trail parking lot and there's a trail connection from that intersection.

74/171FAN

My issue with heading towards Garner is how long it would take, but since it is summer, we will have plenty of daylight.  When I had my internship at NCDOT in Morrisville, I stayed south of Garner (along NC 50), and it took a good 40 minutes to get to/from the office every day.

I will definitely look further into it.

Quote from: froggie on March 07, 2021, 09:44:50 AM

There's a trail parking lot a half-mile from the bridge on Horton St.  We've had past precedent for such walks at meets.

One could also probably park at the Whole Foods at Wade & Ridge.  Similar distance as the trail parking lot and there's a trail connection from that intersection.

This may seal the addition of I-440.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

dgolub

I'm definitely interested, but I'm not staying in hotels until I'm vaccinated, so this might be a little too early.

Brandon

Quote from: dgolub on March 13, 2021, 08:03:33 AM
I'm definitely interested, but I'm not staying in hotels until I'm vaccinated, so this might be a little too early.

Really?  We've been promised that every adult who wants a vaccine will have one by the end of May.  This is in July.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on March 13, 2021, 09:10:00 AM

Really?  We've been promised that every adult who wants a vaccine will have one by the end of May.  This is in July.
I think July 4 is realistic for everyone to be vaccinated. I just wish everyone who could be vaccinated would get one so we could squash this bug.

Brandon

Quote from: Alps on March 13, 2021, 10:20:07 AM

I think July 4 is realistic for everyone to be vaccinated. I just wish everyone who could be vaccinated would get one so we could squash this bug.

Either way, this meet is after those dates.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Alps

I decided to set my FB page cover photo to the current state of I-885: walkable :D

vdeane

We've been promised that everyone will be eligible May 1.  That means they can get in line then.  In NY, it's generally a couple months between when you can get in line and when you can get your first shot.  Then add a few more weeks for your second and a couple more for it to take effect, and I don't see how we'll have the entire nation immune by Memorial Day.

Now, Biden did talk about SMALL gatherings for July 4, but not large ones, and nobody's said anything about travel.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on March 13, 2021, 09:32:21 PM

We've been promised that everyone will be eligible May 1.  That means they can get in line then.  In NY, it's generally a couple months between when you can get in line and when you can get your first shot.  Then add a few more weeks for your second and a couple more for it to take effect, and I don't see how we'll have the entire nation immune by Memorial Day.

Now, Biden did talk about SMALL gatherings for July 4, but not large ones, and nobody's said anything about travel.
A road meet is a small gathering. No sense in belaboring this discussion. Let's see where things stand a month out.

hbelkins

I still don't understand the fear of hotels.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on March 13, 2021, 11:36:15 PM

There are enough posts about people not being masked in lobbies, hallways, and other common areas to give me pause.  And the uneven implementation of COVID protocols making it so you don't know what you're going to get until you get there unless you use a more expensive chain.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Nor do you need to.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on March 13, 2021, 11:42:25 PM

There are enough posts about people not being masked in lobbies, hallways, and other common areas to give me pause.  And the uneven implementation of COVID protocols making it so you don't know what you're going to get until you get there unless you use a more expensive chain.

I would think that Yelp reviews should be able to help you out on this by now.  Personally, I am still more concerned about restaurants (and even going to church) over anything outdoors.  My family and I have had arguments over eating out at restaurants.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 07, 2021, 09:51:17 AM

My issue with heading towards Garner is how long it would take, but since it is summer, we will have plenty of daylight.  When I had my internship at NCDOT in Morrisville, I stayed south of Garner (along NC 50), and it took a good 40 minutes to get to/from the office every day.

I will definitely look further into it.

Quote from: froggie on March 07, 2021, 09:44:50 AM

This may seal the addition of I-440.

My very rough draft intinerary includes the NC 540 construction, I-40 construction, and I-440.  I want to clarfiy how I want to handle the stuff I want to look at in the Morrisville area before linking it here.

EDIT:My rough draft itinerary at the moment: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X5BT-hS7LiwmQqh5Svzu0jE7Zx3JZtON/view?usp=sharing

I am sure that this will change many times up to the chosen date for the meet.

Brandon

74/171FAN

Quote from: Brandon on March 24, 2021, 02:57:40 PM
Any obligatory stop at 11 foot 8 plus 8?

I did not even know that existed until you posted it.  It is probably worth mentioning in the itinerary whether I can easily include it or not.

Brandon

CanesFan27

The Peace Street Bridge in downtown Raleigh is better than the 11'8" bridge.  If only because Doug Kerr has posed in front of it with a 'SEND HELP' sign.

Untitled by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.