News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 02, 2018, 12:18:22 AM
I don't see the problem with 95 degree weather. That's nice! I prefer it hotter but 95 isn't bad at all.

This is the problem with 95 degree weather, and it's a big one. You must not be from the Northeast.

ET21

Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2018, 10:31:54 AM
I don't see the problem with 95 degree weather. That's nice! I prefer it hotter but 95 isn't bad at all.

This is the problem with 95 degree weather, and it's a big one. You must not be from the Northeast.

When your heat indices reach 110-120, it's a big problem lol
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hotdogPi

I remember reading somewhere that the coast of Miami has never reached 100. This doesn't mean that it doesn't get really hot, though; 95 and humid can be REALLY bad.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Brandon

You might find 95 bad if your dew point is 80 or greater.  It makes for air thick enough to drink.  Air that should require gills instead of lungs to breathe.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

Looks like monsoon season is coming.  Even so, I find it highly unusual that a large portion of the desert southwest is explicitly highlighted on this map for a "heavy rain" hazard.  Those don't appear on the 3-7 day hazard map terribly often in any particular part of the country.

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

english si

It finally rained today!

It's been about a month.

Bruce

It's been nearly 90 for a few days now. Heat is expected to stay in place for most of next week too, which is awful.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 13, 2018, 06:23:44 PM
It's been nearly 90 for a few days now. Heat is expected to stay in place for most of next week too, which is awful.

I love people here in western Washington, for the most part. But, right on cue, every summer, it gets really hot, and we always complain. Here's an idea, folks: buy a portable AC unit! They are not that expensive, and they work for years. They are one of the best investments. And I always hear the same thing: "I moved here because I like rain and I don't like heat". Well, you picked the wrong city. Seattle is hot during the summer, and it does not rain much at all.

Oh, and let's all conveniently ignore that it's barely 90 most days, and it's a very dry heat. If you can't handle that, you need to go live in a hole. Or somewhere with AC!

Bruce

The summers have been getting hotter, and most homes (even up through the 90s, like mine) were not built with air conditioning. The way the suburbs were built also contribute to major heat waves, especially since naturally cool streams have been paved over with hot asphalt and concrete.

ipeters61

Quote from: Bruce on July 13, 2018, 08:48:12 PM
The summers have been getting hotter, and most homes (even up through the 90s, like mine) were not built with air conditioning. The way the suburbs were built also contribute to major heat waves, especially since naturally cool streams have been paved over with hot asphalt and concrete.
Also doesn't help that so much of our land (at least in the US) is just grassland.  I go for a walk everyday at work and I was thinking (as I was frying in the heat) about how few trees there are in our office complex, even though there's a massive empty field in front of one of the buildings.  It's so unnecessary!
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 13, 2018, 08:48:12 PM

I thought creeks were required to remain untouched?

Either way, the summers aren't dramatically hotter than they used to be, and AC units have been around for a long time. I don't expect everybody to have central air throughout their house, but if people can't even be bothered to save up for an AC unit, they have no room to complain.

Bruce

Some people can't handle air conditioning, some households have different temperature preferences (which is why my house in unequipped), and some housing associations forbid the use of outward-facing ACs for appearances.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 14, 2018, 11:57:41 PM
Some people can't handle air conditioning, some households have different temperature preferences (which is why my house in unequipped), and some housing associations forbid the use of outward-facing ACs for appearances.

The primary objective with portable AC units is to keep them in the bedroom, so you can at least get through the night. I don't expect people to have six or seven of those bastards throughout the house. It would be cheaper to install central cooling at that point.

What do you mean that some people can't handle air conditioning? Like, they're so skinny they feel cold at anything less than 80?

LaVitaEBella

It is so hot nowadays, that even my Dachshund needs to wear dog boots before going out for a walk. I love summer, but I also hate it.

wxfree

Dirty

Photo of yesterday's sunset.  The sun disappeared behind the dust while it was above the horizon.  Visibility is lower today, suggesting it's heavier, but it's hard to tell in full daylight.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

ce929wax

It was a beautiful day, around 80 degrees and low humidity.  I took a nice long walk around downtown Kalamazoo today.

Eth

Hot day today, still 87 degrees at 7:30 after a high of 93. No afternoon storms today, at least, unlike the last two days, and it looks like we may get to stay rain-free for a couple more days. (July is the wettest month in Atlanta on average already, and we've had about 50% more than usual this year.)

webny99

This summer has been unusual in that it has been very dry (no rain, and parched lawns) yet also very muggy (extremely high humidity to the point of being uncomfortable). Seems kind of like a paradox.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on July 17, 2018, 08:20:18 PM
This summer has been unusual in that it has been very dry (no rain, and parched lawns) yet also very muggy (extremely high humidity to the point of being uncomfortable). Seems kind of like a paradox.

You missed today's thunderstorm.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: 1 on July 17, 2018, 08:21:37 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 17, 2018, 08:20:18 PM
You missed today's thunderstorm.

We didn't miss it... we're just calling it yesterday's thunderstorm.  :-D

It was the first rain in several weeks, and around here, that's long enough of a dry spell for any unshaded lawns to turn brown.

Hurricane Rex

Sherwood just had 3 100 degree days this month, (101 on the 12th, and 15th, 100 on the 16th) and today is hopefully the last 90 degree day in a streak of 7 days.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Bruce

Everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere: It's hot.

A few parts of Scandinavia are seeing new temperature records (over 90 degrees), while various other regions in Europe and North Africa are experiencing similar record-breaking temperatures.

Hurricane Rex

"Cool" spell is over, back to 90+ for another week at least, possibly more. Unusual to have 2 back to back here.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Bruce

Finally some relief, in the form of mid-60s temperatures and overcast skies.

Eth

It's our third straight day of heavy all-day rain. Parts of the metro area are seeing flooding, trees have come down, the whole works. At my location:

1.14 inches Tuesday
1.84 inches yesterday
1.18 inches today (so far)

Mercifully, we're set to dry out this weekend.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.